Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-22, 22:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Polishing Outer Platter

Polishing Outer Platter
2012-05-01, 00:38
RE: Polishing Outer Platter
(2012-04-30 23:16)cheery SAM Wrote:  I bought the faulty outer platter here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Linn-Shop
I got it on e.bay, directly from Linn, because no one dealer was located in my area.
For me, the worst thing was to be banned with no regard and reasons.
BR,
Sam

Why didn't you leave negative feedback? The Linn store has no negatives for the last year.

How do you know you're banned? You would only know if you tried to purchase something else surely?

Naim mains cables via dealer made Hydra style crimped wall strip ♫ ♫ - KDS/1/D - KK/1/D - Klimax Crossovers -
6 prs Silvers - 2 x 4200/D - Keltiks.
Klimax units and 4200s in gorgeous BLACK Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-05-01, 07:30
All - thanks for the input - I have concluded that I will replace the outer platter with a new one.
2012-05-01, 09:37
(2012-04-30 23:16)cheery SAM Wrote:  Dear Peter,
I bought the faulty outer platter here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Linn-Shop
I got it on e.bay, directly from Linn, because no one dealer was located in my area.
BR,
Sam

All I can suggest for the future is try and shop with a Linn Retailer then. Many like me, have new platters in stock as we are selling them very regularly. In this way you get to deal with an individual person either by email, phone or Skype.

All I can do for you now is just raise your comments with my Linn Rep so as he can advise HQ, in an attempt to avoid any repeats. - As I said previously, this is very unusual IME.

Kind regards,

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-05-01, 10:51
(2012-05-01 09:37)Cymbiosis Wrote:  
(2012-04-30 23:16)cheery SAM Wrote:  Dear Peter,
I bought the faulty outer platter here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Linn-Shop
BR,
Sam

All I can suggest for the future is try and shop with a Linn Retailer then. Many like me, have new platters in stock as we are selling them very regularly. In this way you get to deal with an individual person either by email, phone or Skype.

All I can do for you now is just raise your comments with my Linn Rep so as he can advise HQ, in an attempt to avoid any repeats. - As I said previously, this is very unusual IME.

Kind regards,

Peter
Thank you so much Peter for your interest in my old problem.
However, I chose to cut my relationship with Linn. I sold my Sondek and bought a wonderful Brinkmann Balance with a Breuer Dynamic. I'm very satisfied with this exceptional TT and I have "quiet of mind" with no the need of many very expensive upgrades.
Obviously I advise my friends to do the same.
Best Regards,
Sam (& good-bye Linn)
2012-05-01, 11:52 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-01 11:56 by Cymbiosis.)
(2012-05-01 10:51)cheery SAM Wrote:  Thank you so much Peter for your interest in my old problem.
However, I chose to cut my relationship with Linn. I sold my Sondek and bought a wonderful Brinkmann Balance with a Breuer Dynamic. I'm very satisfied with this exceptional TT and I have "quiet of mind" with no the need of many very expensive upgrades.
Best Regards,
Sam (& good-bye Linn)

Well Sam, the lesson here has to be... Look after your customers No1. - A happy customer will tell his friends, but an unhappy customer will tell everyone he can... Far more damagingSad

It's a shame you chose to sell up, but at least you are now happy which is the important thing.

However, anyone registered here can check your posting history regarding the problem as I have done, and I'm just a little surprised as your last posting from 2008 was this: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...04#pid9504

Quote:2008-09-28, 10:22 (This post was last modified: 2008-09-28 10:23 by cheery SAM.) Post: #37
cheery SAM

RE: Be careful about new outer platter!!!
Hi guys,
Linn has just replaced the faulty outer platter. At Linn are still reliable and honest. The replacement outer platter (dated September 15ht, 2008) is correctly weighted and balanced. It’s an enjoyment to listen and look at it. My feeling is that this one performs better than my older outer platters. By it, my TTs sound more controlled, relaxed and richer of inner details with a more stable and accurate soundstage. My Sondeks haven’t never performed so good before. If you want to improve your old LP12, get and listen one of these new production outer platters! Surely, I’ll buy one other soon.

So my question has to be: What went wrong for you after everything seems to have been resolved to your satisfaction as you stated above?

Are there more lessons we need to learn/know Sam?

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-05-01, 15:17 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-01 15:30 by cheery SAM.)
(2012-05-01 11:52)Cymbiosis Wrote:  
(2012-05-01 10:51)cheery SAM Wrote:  Thank you so much Peter for your interest in my old problem.
Best Regards,
Sam (& good-bye Linn)

Well Sam, the lesson here has to be... Look after your customers No1. - A happy customer will tell his friends, but an unhappy customer will tell everyone he can... Far more damagingSad

It's a shame you chose to sell up, but at least you are now happy which is the important thing.

However, anyone registered here can check your posting history regarding the problem as I have done, and I'm just a little surprised as your last posting from 2008 was this: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...04#pid9504

Quote:2008-09-28, 10:22 (This post was last modified: 2008-09-28 10:23 by cheery SAM.) Post: #37
cheery SAM

Hi guys,
Linn has just replaced the faulty outer platter. At Linn are still reliable and honest. The replacement outer platter (dated September 15ht, 2008) is correctly weighted and balanced. It’s an enjoyment to listen and look at it. My feeling is that this one performs better than my older outer platters. By it, my TTs sound more controlled, relaxed and richer of inner details with a more stable and accurate soundstage. My Sondeks haven’t never performed so good before. If you want to improve your old LP12, get and listen one of these new production outer platters! Surely, I’ll buy one other soon.

So my question has to be: What went wrong for you after everything seems to have been resolved to your satisfaction as you stated above?

KR

Peter

Dear Peter I like a lot your kindness.
What hurt me was to be banned. I paid the item and I received that faulty one. At first, Linn was deaf to my claim. I had to open a dispute on e.bay and a thread on this forum to get an answer. At last, finally, linn began to give me more assistance. The QC engineers wanted to check the faulty outer platter and I sent it back to Linn. They stated that it was faulty and after a long wait I got a replacement of new production much better turned and finished.
After a short time, I tried to buy a new belt from the same Linn e.bay shop. My transaction was stopped and I was informed that Linn had banned me. I wrote them demanding an explanation and to admit my buy order but they never answered me back.
Best Regards,
Sam
2012-05-01, 15:37
Polishing Outer Platter
Back on topic, I admit to polishing my outer platter about once every six months until it shines.
One of life's joys.

Perth, Western Australia
2012-05-01, 16:06
(2012-05-01 15:37)wolster Wrote:  Back on topic, I admit to polishing my outer platter about once every six months until it shines.
One of life's joys.

Hi,
When I had my first LP12 I solved this problem. After the polishing on the rim I applied a protective mat final varnish. You must be able spraying it uniformly on the entire surface. This product is permanent and persistent and is marketed as: "aerosol 673".
KR,
Paul

Sondek + Syrinx PU3B + VdH MC ONE special
Sondek + Ittok LVII + ASAKA
Sondek + Audio Origami PU7 + Audio Technica AT 95E
Sondek + DImyself Tonearm (AO PU7 redesigned) + Benz Glider
ARC / NAIM / EXPOSURE amplifications
Rogers / Sonus Faber / JBL loudspeakers
2012-05-01, 21:23
(2012-05-01 15:17)cheery SAM Wrote:  
Best Regards,
Sam (& good-bye Linn)

cheery SAM

Hi guys,

KR

Peter

What hurt me was to be banned. I paid the item and I received that faulty one. At first, Linn was deaf to my claim. I had to open a dispute on e.bay and a thread on this forum to get an answer. At last, finally, linn began to give me more assistance. The QC engineers wanted to check the faulty outer platter and I sent it back to Linn. They stated that it was faulty and after a long wait I got a replacement of new production much better turned and finished.
After a short time, I tried to buy a new belt from the same Linn e.bay shop. My transaction was stopped and I was informed that Linn had banned me. I wrote them demanding an explanation and to admit my buy order but they never answered me back.
Best Regards,
Sam

Worth knowing on this thread.
Before you hand over your money for a new platter, make sure that you inspect it carefully. It really shouldn't be necessary though if quality control are doing their job.

black ash LP12 (pre circus), black Ittok LVII, Dynavector DV-20X,Plattamat, Heed orbit, Edwards Audio Apprentice, NVA P50 / A40's, Rega Ela MK1.
2012-05-01, 22:36 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-02 09:15 by cheery SAM.)
(2012-05-01 21:23)skiffle0 Wrote:  
(2012-05-01 15:17)cheery SAM Wrote:  
Best Regards,
Sam (& good-bye Linn)

cheery SAM

Hi guys,

KR

Peter

Best Regards,
Sam

Worth knowing on this thread.
Before you hand over your money for a new platter, make sure that you inspect it carefully. It really shouldn't be necessary though if quality control are doing their job.

You are right but I had much trust in Linn, at that moment. I was wrong for an excess of confidence. Only when I had the platter in my hands I understood becouse linn sold it at a discounted price on e.bay. SadSadSad