Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-21, 07:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Polishing Outer Platter

Polishing Outer Platter
2012-04-30, 08:11
RE: Polishing Outer Platter
(2012-04-30 02:04)finster Wrote:  The most important surface of the outer platter is the one that mates with the inner platter. This area also is prone to tarnishing and oxidisation. Has anyone any useful tips for cleaning this area?

Thanks
Andy

I am an avid platter polisher!- when I discussed this with my dealer (who prefers not to touch them) he said- do not touch the inner/outer mating surfaces- It will have a negative effect on the sound.
I alway use kitchen roll when-ever I handle my platter to ensure no fingerprints are left.
Remember you can replace the outer platter for 'some £', but if you replace the inner platter you should also replace the bearing as they 'mate' as pairs...'many more £'
Having said all of this, if one has an inner/outer platter mating surface that already has marks on it (finger etc)- does anyone know how/if that should be addressed?

A Linn system that I am proud of
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-30, 08:17 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-30 08:18 by Cymbiosis.)
(2012-04-29 21:21)skiffle0 Wrote:  If you do polish without replacing the laquer I think that you will be giving yourself a never ending job.

Are different quality platters used on different models of LP12?
I ask because I was not impressed with the finish on a new LP12 that I saw in a Colchester dealers last year, and I seem to remember another thread where a contributor was concerned about marks beneath the laquer on a new model platter.

Best wishes, Guy.

Indeed, one would be giving the platter a regular rub to keep it nice if the lacquer is removed! Care of the finish/flatness of the interface surfaces between outer platter and sub-platter have been discussed many times here and are most important.

Personally, and with not so much time these days, I'd have a new platetr as they also sound a little better than the old ones.

Guy, there should be no difference in quality between the new platters, whether LP12 or Majik LP12.

Regarding finish from new... Any marks (which are very rare these days) should be reported to HQ and returned by the dealer for inspection. Obviously, if the platter you saw had been on demo for a while and had seen a fair amount of use without removal of the countless fingermarks that inevitably build up when a deck is being demonstrated allot... Maybe this accounts for your observations?

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-04-30, 10:40 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-30 11:06 by cheery SAM.)
I had big troubles buying a new outer platter from Linn on e.bay few years ago. I was very disappointed and unhappy when I received that faulty platter. At last, fortunately, Linn replaced that one with one other. This sounds better and has an "almost" perfect finishing. I suggest you to check it very carefully when buying a new outer platter.
A perfect balancing and the correct weight are much more important than the finishing.
2012-04-30, 13:10
And...how does one check for perfect balancing? Apart from a dynamic balancer, I can't see how this could be measured by an end user. And...if one were using a dynamic balancer at any reasonable speed, I imagine the platter would need to be secured somewhat...securely.

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2012-04-30, 14:37
(2012-04-30 13:10)linnrd Wrote:  And...how does one check for perfect balancing? Apart from a dynamic balancer, I can't see how this could be measured by an end user. And...if one were using a dynamic balancer at any reasonable speed, I imagine the platter would need to be secured somewhat...securely.

We can see ... by comparison with a perfectly balanced outer platter. If you replace a well made platter by the unbalanced one the difference will be visible. You will see little up and down movements on the vertical plane while the platter spins. This irregular movement is indipendent from the set up.
2012-04-30, 16:00 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-30 16:02 by Cymbiosis.)
(2012-04-30 14:37)cheery SAM Wrote:  
(2012-04-30 13:10)linnrd Wrote:  And...how does one check for perfect balancing? Apart from a dynamic balancer, I can't see how this could be measured by an end user. And...if one were using a dynamic balancer at any reasonable speed, I imagine the platter would need to be secured somewhat...securely.

We can see ... by comparison with a perfectly balanced outer platter. If you replace a well made platter by the unbalanced one the difference will be visible. You will see little up and down movements on the vertical plane while the platter spins. This irregular movement is indipendent from the set up.

Old newsSmile..... Do a search on the subject. Both H Berg and I wrote quite a bit on the subject a few years back. Sam is right as how to see any issue though. Generally an armboard waiving up and down at you as the platter spins is not what you want to see!

So, yes there was a problem for a short time a few years ago as described above, however the problems were quickly addressed by HQ once identified by members here.

KR

Peter

Tel 01162 623754
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
2012-04-30, 17:20
I have polished a couple to a very high degree, sanding flat with 400 grit prior to polishing. Lots of work, then you must maintain it by regular maintenance.. A top quality polish job, which will be very tough it is your first go, will look nowhere near as good as a new platter. Get a new one, you will love it!

LP12/ Radikal/ Keel/ Aro/ DV XV-1s/ Superline/ Naim NAP 200/ NAC152XS/ Flatcap XS/ Dual Teddycap/ Stageline/ Linn Majki DS / Crimson Speaker cables/ Hombrew awesome speakers
2012-04-30, 17:59
(2012-04-30 16:00)Cymbiosis Wrote:  
(2012-04-30 14:37)cheery SAM Wrote:  

Old newsSmile..... Do a search on the subject. Both H Berg and I wrote quite a bit on the subject a few years back. Sam is right as how to see any issue though. Generally an armboard waiving up and down at you as the platter spins is not what you want to see!

So, yes there was a problem for a short time a few years ago as described above, however the problems were quickly addressed by HQ once identified by members here.

KR

Peter

Dear Peter, that problem was not for a short term for me.
Beyond of the trouble for the faulty outer platter what astonished and embarrassed me was Linn's behaviour. They replaced that faulty platter only after a very long and boring dispute. I was banned from their e.bay shop with no reasons. Since than, I no more bought Linn products because I lost confidence in this brand. A serious firm must always check its products before putting them on the market and not talk of legendary precision manufacturing real in the advertising only. I find very funny what I read on this forum and how Linn persuades the customers to buy.
2012-04-30, 19:55
(2012-04-30 17:59)cheery SAM Wrote:  Dear Peter, that problem was not for a short term for me.
Beyond of the trouble for the faulty outer platter what astonished and embarrassed me was Linn's behaviour. They replaced that faulty platter only after a very long and boring dispute. I was banned from their e.bay shop with no reasons. Since than, I no more bought Linn products because I lost confidence in this brand. A serious firm must always check its products before putting them on the market and not talk of legendary precision manufacturing real in the advertising only. I find very funny what I read on this forum and how Linn persuades the customers to buy.

It's obviously difficult to comment in detail as I have no knowledge of what's gone on here. Suffice to say this is a very open forum and seldom moderated, unlike some places we all know. So you are free to have your say. All I can say is that I think your experience is very unusual and hopefully will not be repeated. FYI. Richard @ Linn Helpline is most knowledgeable and helpful and a quick call to him would normally iron things out.

What is unclear was how you got your platter? Surely your dealer would have inspected it first to ensure all was as it should be?

Certainly in my experience, I seldom encounter problems and if one does crop up for me, it's resolved quickly.

KR

Peter

Tel 01162 623754
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
2012-04-30, 23:16
(2012-04-30 19:55)Cymbiosis Wrote:  
(2012-04-30 17:59)cheery SAM Wrote:  Dear Peter, that problem was not for a short term for me.

It's obviously difficult to comment in detail as I have no knowledge of what's gone on here. Suffice to say this is a very open forum and seldom moderated, unlike some places we all know. So you are free to have your say. All I can say is that I think your experience is very unusual and hopefully will not be repeated. FYI. Richard @ Linn Helpline is most knowledgeable and helpful and a quick call to him would normally iron things out.

What is unclear was how you got your platter? Surely your dealer would have inspected it first to ensure all was as it should be?

Certainly in my experience, I seldom encounter problems and if one does crop up for me, it's resolved quickly.

KR

Peter

Dear Peter,
I bought the faulty outer platter here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Linn-Shop
I got it on e.bay, directly from Linn, because no one dealer was located in my area.
For me, the worst thing was to be banned with no regard and reasons.
BR,
Sam