Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-24, 18:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Speakers from other manufacturers

Speakers from other manufacturers
2012-05-02, 19:46 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-02 19:46 by dubselect.)
RE: Speakers from other manufacturers
I heard top MBL system that summer. It sounded fantastic with huge and real soundstage. But the bass was a little bit weak and speakers did not sound as truthfully as 350A can. But MBL has more charm. And the cost of all the system was amazing! Klimax system seems to be affordable in comparison. Big Grin

KDSM (magical 4.19.789), K320A (Latest spec) + Original stands (DIY mod), K345
Cables: Bertram Cuprio Flow. Power regenerator: PS Audio P3. Anti-vibration management: Symposium Rollerblock HDSE, Finite Elemente Cerapuc. Acoustic treatment: Vicoustic Wavewood.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-05-05, 16:20 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-05 16:21 by Rufus McDufus.)
Heard a few speakers today with my Tundra/Kikkin plus an Akurate DS mkII - here's my findings:

PMC Fact 8: I was rather disappointed. Sounded a bit like they were down a well to me. Good in the mid to top range, rather muddled and weak in the bass. I was surprised...

B&W 804 Diamond: Much better! Much more bright like my 212s except even more detailed & less harsh in the upper frequencies. The staging is excellent. They sounded lovely and laid-back to me, easy to listen to. I really like these.

B&W 805 Diamond: Surprised how good these were. Very similar to the 804s except maybe a little less details, slightly less easy to distinguish harmonies in vocals but also not lacking in the bass department. Impressive considering the size and lack of drivers compared with the 804s.

I wish I tried some 803 Diamonds now but ran out of time. Nearly tried some Focal Electra 1028 or 1038 Be but these were physically just a little on the large side so didn't give them a go.

Rega RP6/Exact, Devialet 200, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, fancy cables and strange wooden grounding boxes.
2012-05-06, 07:08
(2012-05-05 16:20)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  B&W 804 Diamond: Much better! Much more bright like my 212s except even more detailed & less harsh in the upper frequencies. The staging is excellent. They sounded lovely and laid-back to me, easy to listen to. I really like these.

B&W 805 Diamond: Surprised how good these were. Very similar to the 804s except maybe a little less details, slightly less easy to distinguish harmonies in vocals but also not lacking in the bass department. Impressive considering the size and lack of drivers compared with the 804s.

I wish I tried some 803 Diamonds now but ran out of time. Nearly tried some Focal Electra 1028 or 1038 Be but these were physically just a little on the large side so didn't give them a go.
The 805 sounds surprisingly good and similar to the others in the series, but long-term, it will be found a tad wanting. The main reason for that, imho, is that it lacks the FST midrange that contributes so much to the vocal range. For that reason alone, the 804 is a better bet. The 803s are a problem in that they sound much nicer than the 804s and, of course, cost a lot more...which...then has one thinking...heck...why not just blow the budget totally and get the 802s. Someone I have known all my life ended up doing precisely that.Rolleyes

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2012-05-06, 08:52 (This post was last modified: 2012-05-06 08:53 by Rufus McDufus.)
Ha ha! I know the feeling. I'd be forever knowing that I could've got the better ones. The wife may not be too happy living with the bastard twins of Cyclops & a Dalek though! (and I'm not talking about me). Only kidding - I think they look really nice.

Rega RP6/Exact, Devialet 200, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, fancy cables and strange wooden grounding boxes.
2012-05-06, 16:31
Rufus, stop mucking about and go and listen to a pair of 242s buy the wife a ring or take her to Tuscany on a nice holiday, before you pop the question.... Please please can I have 242sBig GrinTongue

Avalon

Klimax DS/1 , Klimax Kontrol/2, klimax chakra twin(Dk), akurate 242 (new bases) speakers,nordost Tyr & Chord Sarum Tuned Aray balanced, Chord Sarum Tuned Aray mains for Ds,russ andrews purifier block . Tranquil ava rs3 server, ipad 2 & kinsky & songbook lite. Sonos for multiroom.
2012-05-06, 17:19
You know I'll end up with some 242s but someone has to check out the opposition from time to time!

2012-05-06, 17:38
second hand 242's with a 226 sub on tundra?

Linn- Majik DS-D, Lejonklou Sagatun stereo pre amp, Lejonklou Tundra stereo power amplifier, Linn Majik 109's. Linn Silvers. K400.Russ Andrews oak cone feet and torlyte rack. Stock power leads.
2012-05-06, 17:47
One beauty of 242s is it does seem relatively easy to find secondhand examples for reasonable prices, though most of them tend to be mkIs. The 242 is just a tad too large for my little room and the position would be compromised (right close to the wall) so I think another speaker may be a better option. I'm deliberately aiming for speakers without rear-firing ports for that reason. The PMC Fact 8 is about the same depth as the 242 (though narrower) so was also too large, so it's just as well I wasn't that keen on it.