Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-16, 16:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / DS Troubleshooting v / newbie question regarding hirez music and ipad

newbie question regarding hirez music and ipad
2012-04-30, 09:06
HI

I have triede to find some info regarding this on the forum, but no luck.
I have downloaded som hirez flac files from 2l.no, i works perfect from laptop with kinski desktop using a wired connection, but when i use the same files on the kinski app./chorusdshd from my ipad it just times out.

I belive it is because my wireless network is not fast enough.

How are you playing hirez files, only from a wired connection and do you have any advice regarding wireless access point?

By the way great forum.....

Best regards
Morten
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-04-30, 09:44 (This post was last modified: 2012-04-30 09:45 by rowlandhills.)
RE: newbie question regarding hirez music and ipad
Are you storing the FLAC files on your NAS, and just using your laptop/iPad to control the DS, or are you trying to "drag and drop" on the laptop or airplay from the iPad?

Shouldn't be a problem if you're doing the former (which is recommended) as the music data is not actually sent via the laptop/iPad, only the control signals (which don't need much bandwidth).
2012-04-30, 10:03
In my experience, the best advice regarding wireless access points is to avoid them altogether. They tend to introduce instability.

KDSM - Solos - Akubarik/p
ADSM - KCT - A212 - A226
MDSI - M109
2012-04-30, 10:03
(2012-04-30 09:44)rowlandhills Wrote:  Are you storing the FLAC files on your NAS, and just using your laptop/iPad to control the DS, or are you trying to "drag and drop" on the laptop or airplay from the iPad?

Shouldn't be a problem if you're doing the former (which is recommended) as the music data is not actually sent via the laptop/iPad, only the control signals (which don't need much bandwidth).

Hi

Im storing the files on my qnap TS-639, but if its only the control signal thats sent I must be doing somthing wrong :-)
When I use the ipad, I am not using airplay.
Right now the kinski app does not work on the ipad, keeps crashing so I have bought the chorusDSHD app wich works ok.
When I get off from work, I will try to se what I am doing wrong.
Great to hear that its just the control signal thats being sent.

Thanks for the quick reply.

/Morten
2012-04-30, 10:46
Two other questions to consider:

1 - What is the exact problem? File won't play, file plays but fades in and out/stutters, etc.
2 - Will regular FLAC files (not hi-res, just 16/44.1) play in both situations?

If you post answers to both of those points back here that may help.
2012-04-30, 22:23
(2012-04-30 10:46)rowlandhills Wrote:  Two other questions to consider:

1 - What is the exact problem? File won't play, file plays but fades in and out/stutters, etc.
2 - Will regular FLAC files (not hi-res, just 16/44.1) play in both situations?

If you post answers to both of those points back here that may help.

Hi

Got it sorted out, I was adding the media via the ipad instead of using the twonky server. I also went out and bought a new dualband router, reserved the 5 ghz for airplay and kontrol. Now everything works perfect :-) i know it was overkill, but i have som slow wireless gadgets, now they connect at the 2.4 ghz.

Since the akurate ds mkII was a loan from a dealer, i have to wait for him to get the new akurate dsm...still not sure wich way i will go. But the adsm is surely tempting, right now im using an marantz av7005/sonos/rega dac as a streming solution...and the linn is just another league.
To bad that the kinsky app for ipad dosent work on the newest ios release. But chorusdshd is great, but still need some fine tuning :-)

Thanks for the reply, im looking forward to listen to some serius music :-)
2012-05-01, 09:10
Glad it's all sorted. Now time to enjoy some music! Smile