Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-23, 20:57 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Linn Sara Active speakers

Linn Sara Active speakers
2012-06-01, 21:24 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-02 13:54 by 4cam.)
Linn Sara Active speakers
I just purchased a pair of linn Sara Active Speakers- to replace my older passive sara's (I blew one...). In any event, I didn't know they were active and now I need to get an external crossover for them or get another amp and run them fully active? I don't really want to go fully active due to the cost. I would appreciate suggestions please such as parts needed for active setup or passive to build external crossovers.

Recommendations please? Thanks much, Paul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-06-02, 02:52
RE: Linn Sara Active speakers
You may check your new Sara to see if it got crossovers board inside, and you can convert the crossover board from active to passive.

If there are no crossover boards in your old sara, you can take the crossover boards from your old sara and put them into your new sara.

hope it helps.

Renew DS, AK/0(D), 3 X Klouts, tri-amp Aktiv Espek, ICs and K600
2012-06-02, 08:46
SARA crossovers are not easy to access. see here

Dr Eddie will have more idea on the best way to proceed than most. He's been there, and designed the T shirt

Other forums are available:- http://hifikabin.me.uk
2012-06-04, 18:44
Paul, send me an e-mail, Ive got a pair of crossovers (mk1 saras) in the loft somewhere, came with my active pair last year.

Cheers John
2012-06-08, 00:33 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-08 00:42 by Dr_Eddie.)
(2012-06-04 18:44)JBGWild Wrote:  Paul, send me an e-mail, Ive got a pair of crossovers (mk1 saras) in the loft somewhere, came with my active pair last year.

Cheers John

This sounds like the ideal solution Paul, the Active route with your Macintosh is going to be mighty expensive, and how would one interface a Naim Snaxo 2-4-2 with a Mac integrated amp ? Its hard enough with all the right Naim amps.
ie HIcap2 to Snaxo with 5pin Din to 5pin Din ( power supply ), line out signal from preamp to Snaxo will need a twin phono RCA to 4 pin Din on Snaxo. This is full range signal in.
4 x 4 pin Din to RCA phonos to power 2 Macs. Sad big expense )

I'll have to get the t-Shirt as well.Big Grin

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-06-08, 11:17 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-08 11:22 by Dr_Eddie.)
And another thought has ocurred to me as well. You can still buy the crossover bricks from Naim for their SBL and SL2 speakers. My mate Terry recently bought some new ones for his SBLs. These have as near as dammit the same crossover frequency. The difference is tiny. The cost was about £250=00 for the pair IIRC. And I bet they don't invert phase like the Linn ones did too.

You only then need to make up 4 lengths of Naim cable with the 19mm Naim speaker plugs soldered to the end connected to the inputs and outputs on the crossovers.
Get Peter at Cymbiosis to help you out with the ordering ( he is a Naim dealer ) and the soldering of the plugs etc The XLR plugs will need to be soldered too. Trust me, soldering Naim speaker plugs onto NAC A5 is a job you should entrust to him and his trusty Weller.
I strongly suggest you use Naim NAC A5 cable for the whole system if you want the best performance out of your new Saras. Let us know how you get on.
This is Peter's website. http://www.cymbiosis.com

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com