Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-24, 17:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Development v / Linn MediaServer Beta

Linn MediaServer Beta
2012-06-07, 21:15 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-07 21:27 by bubbleguuum.)
RE: Linn MediaServer Beta
Found an issue:

The itunes artist folder seems to not list VA albums properly: there is 1 folder per artist for the same VA album.

VA album = album for which track artist != album artist.

EDIT: disregard this at this this the same in itunes (probable tagging issue, VA album not recognized as such).
It shows that I never uses itunes...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-06-07, 21:18 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-07 21:19 by grahamd.)
Still don't get it, Salty. This is a thread concerning the beta release of our first open source DLNA/UPnP compliant media server. And we already have an open source DLNA/UPnP compliant control point.

So, I am truly baffled by the following: "Why is Linn hesitant about looking at an open source DLNA/UPnP compliant media server and control point". As far as OS is concerned we target Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Linux where possible. So, again, I am even further baffled by: "Yet all the time and resources are being utilized on a closed proprietary OS".

Furthermore, I can assure you that I, and anyone else who reads this forum, is blatantly aware that you are a big fan of jRiver.

But I still don't get what your point is.

You do seem to be asking the direct question: 'Have we tried jRiver?'. Maybe you would like to open up a new, more appropriate thread to ask that question and I will respond to it there. We could get everything you want to say and discuss about jRiver out in the open and in one thread which everyone can refer to on an ongoing basis.

How does that sound?

Graham
2012-06-07, 21:33
I must not be understanding higher bit rate issue properly. MediaServer is working great for me, with 24 bit ALAC files from an iTunes library on a Mac. (Chorus for Mac also does.) What is the limitation you're referring to?

[/quote]

My dig was more at Apple.

They have made ALAC open source but plain forgotten that the world is far from Red Book these days. As soon as iTunes / ALAC support higher bit rates (& I can buy the stuff in ALAC) then I'll be interested - 'till then it's FLAC for me. Mind you I'll be sure to take a look at the source to see if I can hack a C# FLAC tag reader into it - but my guess is that you read the iTunes XML library directly - that way you don't need to do any metadata manipulation yourself :-(

Rik

[/quote]
2012-06-07, 22:39
Graham, Once again I am sure in the end we will be okay.

I'm ahead SEE.

4 pages and not a single comment from Linn. Three months and I'm still ignored.

It is not in my nature to be a squeaky wheel, but I do want and deserve a response to my questions as much as anyone else on the forums.

The reason for me bringing it up is to be supported by a company of which I have been a loyal customer.

Since I have been so kind to have done as you suggest, before you suggested it, will you return the favor and show me where I missed that Linn is equally committed to the IDEA of supporting closed OS?

There have been some very nice posts about open format being the IDEA behind Linn's development.

I'd appreciate being treated as a customer. Not an engineer to engineer underling. I deal with engineers on a daily basis and do know how make things happen when pushed into a corner. I'd much rather just get my questions answered in a friendly way, but I would appreciate an answer. And don't even think about treating me as if I were an engineer. Wink

I think I have been clear. I have answered your questions. Will you please answer mine.

If you'd like to go on in a non-customer-service manner, then try jRiver on your time and get back to me and make it clear that it should be taken as just a guy voicing his opinion and not an official company position.

I have been trying to get a straight answer from Linn and seem to be failing.

And just so no one takes this wrong, I would like to buy you a beer or three if we ever get to meet.

Not much
2012-06-07, 22:48 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-07 22:49 by grahamd.)
Well, Salty, I've read the whole thread, and I see no questions for Linn, so I don't really see how you can feel you are being ignored, but I expect you will post some questions on that thread soon.

Graham
2012-06-07, 23:14
Signing off on this thread, for now anyway. See you on the other one after I answer your question.

(2012-06-07 18:17)SaltyDog Wrote:  Dear David,

Have Linn looked into jRiver Media Center v 17?

Any thoughts you'd care to share?

I have to say it is the best for me by a long shot. But I have no idea why others don't use it.

A script to configure it for Linn would be nice, since the program is so powerful it might be there is an intimidation factor. (This is another dare Briain.)

And Rik if you haven't noticed I have jRiver streaming redbook FLAC at 24bit to the DS. 24/192 stream without problems. Windows 7 version is the only do it all I have experienced. Sound is better, control is better.

Not much
2012-06-07, 23:34
I'm in a loop with 4.1.9 prompting me that there's a newer version, 4.1.9 is available, which I applied again, but same happens.

The server seems to stop running in some circumstances playing Radio 3 - once soon after when I pressed stop in the playlist, and a couple of times after selecting Listen Again - this gives the Retry prompt, but I need to rerun the server to clear this.

Both of above on Mac.

Please would you say more about the strategy here, or the road map - I'm a bit confused especially as I would prefer any server to let me see my FLAC library and this is encouraging me towards iTunes rather than FLAC as the way forward.... is it all about sharing?... but why without my main library being included?

Alan
2012-06-08, 00:15
(2012-06-07 23:34)Love_The_Music Wrote:  I'm in a loop with 4.1.9 prompting me that there's a newer version, 4.1.9 is available, which I applied again, but same happens.

The server seems to stop running in some circumstances playing Radio 3 - once soon after when I pressed stop in the playlist, and a couple of times after selecting Listen Again - this gives the Retry prompt, but I need to rerun the server to clear this.

Both of above on Mac.

That's for the feedback. Just to clarify, what do you mean by the retry prompt?

(2012-06-07 23:34)Love_The_Music Wrote:  Please would you say more about the strategy here, or the road map - I'm a bit confused especially as I would prefer any server to let me see my FLAC library and this is encouraging me towards iTunes rather than FLAC as the way forward.... is it all about sharing?... but why without my main library being included?

Alan

It's true that this media server does not address all uses cases. However, as Graham mentioned, this is just the start and it will iterate to a more feature rich server in time.

This release addresses the following uses cases,

1. Helps bring people who use iTunes into a more open environment with out them needing to change the way they purchase and manage their music.
2. Provides a place to centrally store user created playlists that can be accessed from all compatible control points on the network.
3. Ability to access various online services on all control points rather than the just through Kinsky on Windows or Mac.

So for your situation, disable the iTunes feature and think of MediaServer as a complimentary server that you run alongside your current server to provide you with additional functionality. Rather than a direct replacement.

Does this make sense?

David
2012-06-08, 00:36
David

I mean the screen you get in KDT if the server connection is lost i.e. "A problem occurred retrieving content from the specified location." and with Retry and Home button, and the red warning "Error" triangle to the left. Testing it some more, I am regularly getting the server stopping when using Radio 3, and have managed to select Listen Again but not got it to actually show any items to select from, the server stops before finishing retrieving the list of items.

I also have had save playlist giving the Linn MediaServer location option but it not actually doing anything when hitting the save button. However it's also worked once.

I'd prefer the Process Name to show Linn MediaServer rather than just MediaServer.

Thanks for the extra explanation which does make sense.

Alan
2012-06-08, 07:15
So far, so good.

It does exactly what was described at the moment. It was up and running within about 30 seconds with my iTunes library.

This should be excellent for users, and dealers, with less IT background. No wrangling with Linux or faffing around with NAS. Sure, it won't be ideal for some people, but it does make the setup of a system far quicker/easier for many. And who knows, maybe the next iterations of the server will make it a very interesting option for many to look at replacing twonky etc.

I am yet to really sit down and play with the shared playlists, but that alone, is a fantastic development if I understand their operation correctly.

Exciting direction for sure. I look forward to seeing the development of the software in the future.

One gripe (there always has to be one!) - agree with the above, call it linn media server, rather than just media server. Or come up with a k-like name for it!

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user