Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-31, 14:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Life after Linn?

Life after Linn?
2012-06-09, 11:21
Life after Linn?
I've just posted a review of the system I moved to after I owned my all Linn kit.

Hope you find it mildly interesting:

http://wp.me/p1hetB-dH

Regards,

Rob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-06-09, 11:35 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-09 13:03 by Briain.)
RE: Life after Linn?
Hi

Well I had a quick look and a few things immediately struck me as being a little ambiguous, so if you are going to publish such information out in the piblic domain, maybe some of your points need a little clarity added to them:

Also, whilst the Linn DS was a fantastic source, when I compared it to a “valved” Lector CD player that I had, I felt that on a good percentage of CD’s the music was put over in a slightly more organic way.

I would say it's a little vague (and could mislead people) to say your CD player is better than a 'Linn DS' without saying which Linn DS it is better than; are you saying a Lector CD players is better than a Sneaky DS or a Klimax DS?

One other aspect that pushed me over the edge were the once or twice a week system crashes that occurred which would only be resolved by a reset of the system – ostensibly switching off and then back on again!

I've had a Klimax DS since 2007; it was switched off only twice in that entire period (to go back to Linn for its updated board, then again for its Dynamik) so to claim that Linn DS crashes every week is simply untrue. My 79 year old mum has a MDS-1 and it's been working over a wireless bridge for 18 months (so the lesst favourable network setup you can make for it) and her NAS (the most basic model of Qnap) is operating through a really cheap and nasty router/switch; again, nothing has ever crashed or needed rebooting.

Certainly a valve CD player with Linn solid state amps didn’t seem right and I doubted it would provide the answers I was looking for.

It's dangerous to assume things like that and far better to actually listen to them*, but it's great to hear that you are so happy with the new system and I do hope it brings you many years of enjoyment!

Bri Smile

* I realise you probably have; that's just my remark on how it actually reads.
2012-06-09, 12:13
(2012-06-09 11:35)Briain Wrote:  Hi

Well I had a quick look and a coule of things immediately struck me as being a little ambiguous, so if you are going to publish such information out in the piblic domain, maybe they need a little clarity added:

Also, whilst the Linn DS was a fantastic source, when I compared it to a “valved” Lector CD player that I had, I felt that on a good percentage of CD’s the music was put over in a slightly more organic way.

I would say it's a little vague (and could mislead people) to say your CD player is better than a Linn DS, without saying which DS it is better than; are you saying a Lector CD players is better than a Sneaky DS or a Klimax DS?

Bri Smile

Bri

If you check under Rob's Linn Hifi link you will see that he had an Akurate DS.

Best

Au.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus
2012-06-09, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-09 13:00 by Briain.)
Hi

Maybe so, but my comment is on the article as it reads in isolation (and I shouldn't have to go researching what he had before; it should be made clear in the text). My view is that it is incorrect to say 'Product X' is better than a 'Linn DS' as that implies its better than all Linn DS's. I'm not even saying that it isn't better than all DS's - I've not actually heard it and it might well be better than all DS's - but just that the statement is ambiguous in its current form and thus could benefit from a little clarity. Even to just say that it was better than an ADS is not sufficient as there are huge differences between the original and current ADS models (and also differences between pre/post Dynamik versions of the first model). To me, it would be massively better if both products were clearly identified; without that information, it doesn't really tell us anything.

To be honest, my main reason for responding was not that one - that, and some of my other points, were just 'tongue in cheek' observations on how it reads - but to comment on the remarks about a DS requiring rebooted every week. I've really no idea what that's all about, but I know several people who've had DS's switched on for over a year and never had any problems. Recently, there have been issues with Kinsky on iPhones, but that's not what the article states; it implies that there is an inherent problem with the DS product. My point is that it's simply wrong to say the DS needs restarted every week; it just doesn't.

Bri Smile
2012-06-09, 14:42
I can't help but see it as bad form to go to a manufacturers website and put up an opinion that you prefer other manufacturers kit. Why not go to that manufacturers forum, or an independent one, and post your opinions there?

Its a bit like walking in to a BMW dealership and saying to them that you now drive Mercs. You'd get a lot of strange looks from people, like do they really care?

I do believe that many people's use of the internet and forums exposes some very strange social behaviour and appears to expose all sorts of psychological hang ups; perhaps there are lots of people around who didn't get enough from their parents or never had their views taken seriously so need to get their voice heard. Others seem to use it as a platform for self promotion and ego support because the reality of their lives is so meaningless.

Sorry if I sound harsh in that last paragraph it wasn't all directed at the original poster. It is of course completely normal for different people to have preferences, that is why their is such a variety and diversity of kit available. With this in mind, maybe I should pop along to the Naim forum and tell them that I used to be a Naim customer but I'm not any more.
2012-06-09, 15:50
(2012-06-09 14:42)afewbeers Wrote:  I can't help but see it as bad form to go to a manufacturers website and put up an opinion that you prefer other manufacturers kit. Why not go to that manufacturers forum, or an independent one, and post your opinions there?

Its a bit like walking in to a BMW dealership and saying to them that you now drive Mercs. You'd get a lot of strange looks from people, like do they really care?

I do believe that many people's use of the internet and forums exposes some very strange social behaviour and appears to expose all sorts of psychological hang ups; perhaps there are lots of people around who didn't get enough from their parents or never had their views taken seriously so need to get their voice heard. Others seem to use it as a platform for self promotion and ego support because the reality of their lives is so meaningless.

Sorry if I sound harsh in that last paragraph it wasn't all directed at the original poster. It is of course completely normal for different people to have preferences, that is why their is such a variety and diversity of kit available. With this in mind, maybe I should pop along to the Naim forum and tell them that I used to be a Naim customer but I'm not any more.

Probably best not to go to your old girlfriend and tell her about the new model you are riding in now? Tongue

Akubarik Exakt, AEDSM, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), Linn Silvers, K400, Cat7, OPPO 105 on Still Points
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels
2012-06-09, 19:40
(2012-06-09 15:50)Paulssurround Wrote:  Probably best not to go to your old girlfriend and tell her about the new model you are riding in now? Tongue

At least not at the time you're actually "riding in" her! Smile
2012-06-09, 21:36 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-09 21:39 by linnrd.)
(2012-06-09 14:42)afewbeers Wrote:  I can't help but see it as bad form to go to a manufacturers website and put up an opinion that you prefer other manufacturers kit. Why not go to that manufacturers forum, or an independent one, and post your opinions there?

While I agree with the philosophy of your post, I think that overlooking the fact that the thread is titled "Life After Linn" perhaps might indicate that the opinions expressed therein, while indeed true, are maybe out of place in this particular instance. While I am not attempting to stir up anything here, does your post imply that my sig (and for that matter, Jowsilva's) should be severely shortened?

I guess what I am trying to say is that we are all into this for the music and not the gear, and for me there was Life before Linn, there is Life alongside Linn, and quite possibly there might be Life after Linn. It's only gear after all, innit? You can pretty much replace the brand name with Classe and it would still hold true. Joesilva has stated he preferred the sound of his Soulution kit; frankly, I would be rather surprised if anyone contested this simply because it was built to (practically) a cost-no-object spec.
(2012-06-09 19:40)rowlandhills Wrote:  
(2012-06-09 15:50)Paulssurround Wrote:  Probably best not to go to your old girlfriend and tell her about the new model you are riding in now? Tongue
At least not at the time you're actually "riding in" her! Smile
I did once call the Minister of Finance three years ago and said that I had a 20 year old model between my legs and was going to bring her home to get an opinion and that I would like her to keep an open mind. Her response was, "Why on earth do you want YET another bike?"

So...I did tell her about the new model that I was riding ON at the time.Tongue (If Salty is reading this, I'm talking about the R1100.)

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2012-06-09, 22:34
(2012-06-09 11:21)Robby Wrote:  I've just posted a review of the system I moved to after I owned my all Linn kit.

Hope you find it mildly interesting:

http://wp.me/p1hetB-dH

Regards,

Rob

Not sure the intent here. I have heard the components you now have(though not with those particular speakers, which I have heard also) and certainly they achieve a different sound than an all Linn system. As others have already commented though, I don't quite see the reason behind coming back to a Linn forum and saying you just eliminated all the Linn from your life and boy oh boy...are you glad you did!

Odd.
2012-06-10, 00:19
Someone once said to me "The problem with hifi buffs is that they have stopped listening to music: they just hear noise"

Reading the blog put that into mind..