Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-21, 14:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Titanium mounting screws- sonic improvement?

Thread Closed 
Titanium mounting screws- sonic improvement?
2012-06-14, 17:40
Titanium mounting screws- sonic improvement?
Wanna know has any of you guys ever mounted cartridge with Titanium Hex Cap screw, any improvement in sonic due to its high rigidity and lower weight. I'm currently use Stainless Steel screw mounting my AT-OC9mk3 on the Ekos. What type of mounting screws you use to best suit to Linn Tonearm ? Thanks for all your comments. Big Grin

LP12/Cirkus/GS sub/Ekos/AT-OC9Mk3/Trampolin/AO Tonearm Cable
Lingo, Linto, Kairn Pro, Klout*4, Keltik-Active,
Keltik Crossover Box, Silver Interconnect Smile
Find all posts by this user
2012-06-14, 18:17
RE: Titanium mounting screws- sonic improvement?
While we are discussing cartridge mounting hardware. Could someone informed let me know the appropriate sized cartridge hardware for mounting an Asaka, Klyde and Troika to an Ekos 2. I assume what is used is stainless steel. I'd like to purchase a bulk quantity to allow me to use new hardware each time I swap out cartridges.

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2012-06-14, 18:23
Hi John G, I think it should be SS Hex Cap Screw M2.5*10mm. You may check if *10mm (the length of the screw) is proper for each cartridge using. Hope this help!

2012-06-14, 20:02
(2012-06-14 18:23)Keltik-er Wrote:  Hi John G, I think it should be SS Hex Cap Screw M2.5*10mm. You may check if *10mm (the length of the screw) is proper for each cartridge using. Hope this help!

Thanks, I'm pretty certain M2.5 is correct. They were cheap enough so I ordered 8mm, 10mm and 12mm. The shorter 8mm will hopefully fit nicely on the back of the Troika, the one I have measured at 9mm but I'm not exactly sure how they measure the length.

Cheers,
John

2012-06-15, 01:06
From what I remember the lenght should be relative to the threaded part only, not including the head. I've tried brass screws in the past with excellent results, titanium should be better if it works out in the same way as in other accessories. Where can find in reasonable quantities?
Cheers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-06-15, 01:17
(2012-06-15 01:06)katylied Wrote:  From what I remember the lenght should be relative to the threaded part only, not including the head. I've tried brass screws in the past with excellent results, titanium should be better if it works out in the same way as in other accessories. Where can find in reasonable quantities?
Cheers
waste of money imo.
You can find made in china.look on the internet.
2012-06-15, 02:29
From what I remember the lenght should be relative to the threaded part only, not including the head. I've tried brass screws in the past with excellent results, titanium should be better if it works out in the same way as in other accessories. Where can find in reasonable quantities?
Cheers

+1 w/katylied, as for the source in quantity you should try what Mudcrutch suggested, but if you do not mind the price I think you can also get it from the eBay.

2012-06-23, 12:44
(2012-06-15 01:06)katylied Wrote:  From what I remember the length should be relative to the threaded part only, not including the head.
Cheers

That is correct regarding length. I just took my Asaka out of action after 18 months and approximately 2,500 hours and slotted in an ES rebuilt Troika. I received a bulk order of 6,8,10 and 12mm SS hardware and determined 10mm for the front and 6mm for the back left the least amount of excess thread. Nice to have a fresh new cartridge back in the fold especially after the recent changes! Smile

2012-06-23, 15:05
(2012-06-23 12:44)John G Wrote:  
(2012-06-15 01:06)katylied Wrote:  From what I remember the length should be relative to the threaded part only, not including the head.
Cheers

That is correct regarding length. I just took my Asaka out of action after 18 months and approximately 2,500 hours and slotted in an ES rebuilt Troika. I received a bulk order of 6,8,10 and 12mm SS hardware and determined 10mm for the front and 6mm for the back left the least amount of excess thread. Nice to have a fresh new cartridge back in the fold especially after the recent changes! Smile

I have just 'found' the correct mounting bolts for my Troika. They had found there way to to the back of my bits drawer. The previous ones were a little short so the front pair only just reached halfway through the securing nuts. What a difference the correct length makes! Tighter bass and extended treble particularly obvious. Truly a case of size being important!
Thread Closed