Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-29, 10:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / adding an amp to a Majik-I worth it ?

adding an amp to a Majik-I worth it ?
2012-06-18, 18:13
Hello,

I'm quite happy with my Majik-I (a lot in fact)... but as many I look for "improvements" (never ending story :-))
So, I'm wondering if adding an amp to the Majik-I would make my hifi sound "better" ?
The point is that I saw some ads for used amp Majik 4100/2100 or Akurate 4200 & 2200, with interesting prices.
I'm quite happy with my speakers (Kelinac 811MG), I don't plan to change them, so I won't go for activ.

1. So, does this upgrade worth it ?
2. If yes, which way could I go ?
- Majik or Akurate amp ? (Majik price is 60% the Akurate price, but used Akurate price is OK for me)
- as my speakers can be bi-wired, can it be better with a Majik4100 than a Majik2100 (or Akurate4200 than a Akurate2200)
3. What kind of "improvement" can we expect ? (sorry for this completly subjective question...)

Thanks for your advices
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-06-18, 20:29
RE: adding an amp to a Majik-I worth it ?
Depending on your current source/s, then I think a nice long-term system to aim for might be an ADSM and 2200. ADSM is basically a DS player and analogue pre-amp in one box, plus phono stage if you want. It has headphone socket too.

Just bear in mind the ADSM is only available in the latest style enclosure. If the idea appeals, then a new style 2200 would match better astheically, although will cost you more 2nd hand than the original enclosure 2200s, especially the very early ones, badged 'Chakra 2200'. Obviously, the Dynamik PSU upgrade is well worth having and is great value, although units without it should be a bit cheaper.

Been a while since I upgraded from Majik to Akurate, but as best as I recall Akurate represented good value second hand. Not sure how I would have felt about it brand new. It's more musical of course, more refined top end, more detailed midband, a little better bass control.

I wouldn't bother with dedicated Majik amp and don't rule out single-wired being more musical/cohesive than bi-wired, but it may depend on the speakers.
2012-06-18, 20:47
I'm probably biased, as I'm someone with a 2200 and 4200 on eBay at the moment, but I think that they're great amps, and would be a noticeable step up from your Majik-I. They simply have more power and better refinement. Disabling the power amp in your Majik-I would also improve the preamp, as there would be less electrical noise and the power supply would be dedicated to the pre.

As Charlie1 says, you could also look to upgrade your source and pre further. If you currently only use one source, you might find the Lejonklou Kikkin single source volume control better than your Majik-I.
2012-06-18, 21:08
thanks for your input guys
but I should have been more precise : my budget is limited to a second hand amp.
I saw on the web Majik amp 2100/4100 at around 1500eur, and Akurates 2200/4400 at 2000eur/2800eur.
So I would go for an upgrade based on this prices with the amp that offers the greater gap compared to the Majik-I.
It is just a question of amp and quality that it could offer.

Kikkin is intereting, but it is what I'm looking for.
ADSM is of course is very nice product but out of my budget...
2012-06-18, 21:15
tgb - Out of interest, what are you using as source?

In terms of your question, the x200 amps are significantly better than the x100 amps, and will offer a much bigger change compared to your Majik-I. I assume that it's the newer style Majik-I (not the old LK shape box) in which case it basically has a 2100 built into it, just sharing a PSU with the preamp. An external 2100 will still be a step up, but perhaps not a major one. Using a 4100 and biamping your speakers would be a bigger improvement, but I think that a 2200 would be the most impressive change for you.
2012-06-18, 21:59
(2012-06-18 21:15)rowlandhills Wrote:  tgb - Out of interest, what are you using as source?

In terms of your question, the x200 amps are significantly better than the x100 amps, and will offer a much bigger change compared to your Majik-I. I assume that it's the newer style Majik-I (not the old LK shape box) in which case it basically has a 2100 built into it, just sharing a PSU with the preamp. An external 2100 will still be a step up, but perhaps not a major one. Using a 4100 and biamping your speakers would be a bigger improvement, but I think that a 2200 would be the most impressive change for you.

+1

I used a 2200 with my MDSI and M140 speakers. It's a pretty nice update from the DSI. Majik-I is probably better sounding to begin with, but it ought to be a nice upgrade.

KDSM - Solos - Akubarik/p
ADSM - KCT - A212 - A226
Kiko DSM
------------------------
Surplus to requirements: Akurate 2200
2012-06-18, 22:23 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-18 23:15 by charlie1.)
(2012-06-18 21:08)tgb Wrote:  but I should have been more precise : my budget is limited to a second hand amp.
I saw on the web Majik amp 2100/4100 at around 1500eur, and Akurates 2200/4400 at 2000eur/2800eur.
So I would go for an upgrade based on this prices with the amp that offers the greater gap compared to the Majik-I.
It is just a question of amp and quality that it could offer.

I agree with Rowland that 2200 would be much better than bi-amp'd 4100, especially as, the one time I compared, I preferred single amp'd to bi-amp'd anyway. I run my 4200 single amp'd. Bi-amping was more impressive, but less musically engaging.

I only mentioned the ADSM because it can be useful to think ahead, especially if you had wanted both ADSM and the same enclosures long-term.

If the 2200s you've looked at don't include a Dynamik PSU, then you can always add later for a cost-effective upgrade, although a Dynamik for the Majik-I should really come first, if it doesn't have one already.

I also recalled another benefit of Akurate over Majik - greater difference in volume between quiet and loud passages which helps add drama to the music, especially classical and rock.

Also note that, when I compared amps, they were driving my Linn speakers aktiv. I imagine the benefit, in terms of overall power and control, would have been bigger had I been driving the speakers passive.
2012-06-19, 12:12
In my view the majik-I (especially dynamiked) is underrated. I did back to backs using a renew DS into a majik I and an AK/0 + ak2200. I literally could not hear a difference using 212s and an akurate sub.

I was surprised - but it made my study setup so much simpler. 2 boxes, 212s and a sub.

Maybe at much higher volumes or relying on the speakers for bass I would notice a bigger difference.

Amps do make a difference though. I have just changed an a2200 for a KCT in my main system and it is significantly better.

Let me know if you want a 2200... Smile
2012-06-19, 12:34
Are we discussing the original Majik-I?

What are the differences between the variations.

I like my original (1993) for the second or third system.

Not much
2012-06-19, 13:05
Majik-I like the current one, the last one