Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-12-18, 00:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / A big round of applause for Darren at Class A

Thread Closed 
A big round of applause for Darren at Class A
2012-06-19, 20:17
A big round of applause for Darren at Class A

I took my Lingo over to Darren of Class A in Sheffield for it to be serviced. The Lingo is 18 years old and it had never been serviced. My system has been sounding great recently, mainly due to updates to my LP12. A CH Wenge plinth, Rubikon, Khan and DV20X2 have been added over the last 8 months. I have also had my speakers and amplification serviced in order for them to last another decade or two Big Grin .

Since it is unlikely that I will be able to put sufficient funds towards the purchase of a Radikal in the coming months (assuming that after audition I thought that it was an upgrade worth paying for), I decided to get my Lingo serviced.

Darren serviced the Lingo whilst I went for a coffee and a read of my newspaper. An hour and half later I picked it up and set off for home. I connected it up to the LP12 and left it for an hour to warm up. For me, the main point of the service was to ensure that the Lingo would continue to give the same level of service that I have enjoyed for the last 18 years. But no! From the playing of the first track of the first side of the first album (Solitude Standing - Susan Vega in case you were interested) it was sounding better.

How so? Well the biggest thing I noticed was that the noise floor had dropped! The quiet bits were quieter. In conjunction with this, instruments were more distinct and lyrics were more articulate and appeared to be sung with more emotion. This was particularly noticeable with people like Leonard Cohen, Frank Sinatra and Susan Vega. More detail was coming from the system and above all, it was more enjoyable.

What a pleasant surprise and one i'd thought was worth sharing with other forum members. An upgrade as well as continued longevity. And best of all, it only cost me £60!!! Probably the one of the biggest 'bang for buck' upgrades I have had the good fortune to stumble across.

Has anybody else experienced this with a Lingo service?

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
Find all posts by this user
2012-06-19, 20:38 (This post was last modified: 2012-06-19 20:39 by mudcrutch.)
RE: A big round of applause for Darren at Class A
Nice one.
Thats what you call a great VFM upgrade.
Darran is a top bloke.
Enjoy your as good as, if not better than when new Lingo.

Mud.
2012-06-19, 20:54
(2012-06-19 20:38)Mudcrutch Wrote:  Nice one.
Thats what you call a great VFM upgrade.
Darran is a top bloke.
Enjoy your as good as, if not better than when new Lingo.

Mud.

A proper comparison is, of course impossible, but my monies on better Big Grin Big Grin And why not, my glass is always half full - at least until after the England football result Tongue

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

2012-06-19, 21:59
+1 for darran

very helpful guy and knows his lingos !!

Check out my Facebook page
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-06-19, 22:09
(2012-06-19 20:54)Wenge1 Wrote:  ... my glass is always half full - at least until after the England football result Tongue

Should be empty by now & ready for a refill in continued celebration of both results: Lingo & footy Smile

Linn sources & cables... after that, you lost me
2012-06-19, 22:16
Sounds like a cracking result just like the footy!!
2012-06-19, 22:32
I have some records by someone called Suzanne Vega .......

And my Lingo is nearly 22 years old - and it needs a service too .....

And I ain't impressed with "our boys" who could no doubt afford to have 1,000 Lingos serviced this week .....
2012-06-19, 22:43
Darran has done nice work for me in the past, so another thumbs up!
2012-06-19, 23:09
Darran has just completed a service on my 1993 Lingo but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to try it out for another couple of weeks yet (decided to take advantage of its absence with a spot of decorating, so the entire system has been packed away for the last couple of weeks and won't be put back together until new carpets are laid).
I'm showing really bad withdrawal symptoms at the mo'!

But every cloud has a silver lining so they say, so with the comments above, I'm looking forward to spinning the 'platters that matter' more than ever now!

Regards,
Martin
2012-06-19, 23:12
(2012-06-19 22:32)fuller Wrote:  I have some records by someone called Suzanne Vega .......

That would be her twin sister then Rolleyes is she any good?

And my Lingo is nearly 22 years old - and it needs a service too .....

Go for it ....... we could compare results using the Vega twins as reference vinyl Big Grin

And I ain't impressed with "our boys" who could no doubt afford to have 1,000 Lingos serviced this week .....

I think their Lingo only extends to "The boys done good" Tongue

Thread Closed