Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-06-18, 19:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / A big round of applause for Darren at Class A

Thread Closed 
A big round of applause for Darren at Class A
2012-06-19, 23:19
RE: A big round of applause for Darren at Class A
(2012-06-19 23:09)Swanny Wrote:  Darran has just completed a service on my 1993 Lingo but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to try it out for another couple of weeks yet (decided to take advantage of its absence with a spot of decorating, so the entire system has been packed away for the last couple of weeks and won't be put back together until new carpets are laid).
I'm showing really bad withdrawal symptoms at the mo'!

But every cloud has a silver lining so they say, so with the comments above, I'm looking forward to spinning the 'platters that matter' more than ever now!

Regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

I guess you packed your kit away to prevent you platters from getting splatter Rolleyes Since your Lingo is of very similar vintage as mine it will be interesting to hear what you find when you get up and running again.

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's on Track Audio Stands
Find all posts by this user
2012-06-20, 08:22
Out of interest what does a lingo service entail exactly? I have an older one also.
2012-06-20, 13:38
(2012-06-20 08:22)finster Wrote:  Out of interest what does a lingo service entail exactly? I have an older one also.

£60 quid if you take in your self (wait an 1.5hrs for the job to be done - coffee and newspaper time at a coffee shop near by) and then pick it up.

You can arrange with Darren for it to be picked up and delivered back to you and i think that this will cost an additional £10 making a total of £70. It's fantastic value for money IMHO of course Big Grin

Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Tranquility, Karmen, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Linn Krystal

2012-06-20, 14:04
(2012-06-20 08:22)finster Wrote:  Out of interest what does a lingo service entail exactly? I have an older one also.

I think all the capacitors are replaced, I think there's around 18 of them. I inquired a year ago with Linn regarding this and they said if you're Lingo is working fine, don't worry.

I'd do it if it was convenient and you planned on keeping your Lingo long term. I imagine there's some performance benefit to be had as some have reported.

LP12, Exposure amps, Tannoy Speakers, Mana & Symposium Supports
2012-06-20, 17:24
(2012-06-20 14:04)John G Wrote:  

I think all the capacitors are replaced, I think there's around 18 of them. I inquired a year ago with Linn regarding this and they said if you're Lingo is working fine, don't worry.

I'd do it if it was convenient and you planned on keeping your Lingo long term. I imagine there's some performance benefit to be had as some have reported.

thanks for the info, interesting. It's a bit out of my way, I currently reside in Vancouver Smile Funnily enough I lived in Sheffield for a couple of years back in 95-96, frog and parrot still there?

My lingo is still working fine, but it must be close to 20 years old now - for that kind of money sounds like a good preemptive upgrade though.
2012-06-20, 17:46

Apologies for mixing up cost with what is done during a service Sad. Thanks to John for stepping in

2012-06-20, 20:37
Good to hear the servicing was worthwhile and thank you for your kind words.
I have seen a few Lingos now with capacitors failing which is not surprising after 20 years of use, so always recommend servicing a Lingo or Valhalla when having an LP-12 serviced. As mentioned earlier in the thread servicing also gives a noticable improvement in sound quality.

Class A Sheffield
Naim and Linn authorised servicing and repairs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-06-21, 21:48
Darran's one of the guys who I can really recommend and respect. He often goes the extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction.

For your Linn/Naim electronics servicing needs, give him a try.

You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for giving me great service back-up.

Best regards

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980 and member here since 2008
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-06-22, 11:19
A question for you Darren. How much would it cost to service a Mk 1 Lingo? And then how close would it be to a Mk 2?

... and how much better than the Herc/MOSE that I already have?

For great music recommendations, and more, look no further than the HiFiKabin
2012-06-22, 11:44
(2012-06-22 11:19)Mr Onion Wrote:  A question for you Darren. How much would it cost to service a Mk 1 Lingo? And then how close would it be to a Mk 2?

... and how much better than the Herc/MOSE that I already have?
James,
Why don't you give Darran a call at the shop regarding service and prices?.

A Lingo 1 even after a full service will never sound as good as a 2.
Both are better than a Hurc though.

Mud.
Thread Closed