Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-22, 23:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / In praise of Class A

Thread Closed 
In praise of Class A
2012-07-05, 23:34
In praise of Class A
My Mk1 Lingo stopped working on 45 some 18 months or so ago , I decided to send it to Darren at class A for a full service , I figured that even if he could not get the 45 working it would be worth the cost as my LP12 had not been sounding just right recently .
A couple of days later I get a call from Darren at class A who informs me that the service was complete and the good news was that he had also fixed the 45 !
To say that I was pleased would be an undersatement , I had all but given up on the 45 ever working again .
Now for the best bit , my serviced Lingo turns up a few days later . I plug it back in , check the 45 is working , yep its working perfectly . I pop a record on and sit back to listen . What the !! , this has to be the best " bang for your buck " as the americans would say ever . The improvement is actually quite astonishing , the music just flows in such an effortless way .
The cost for this was in real terms peanuts in relation to the cost of my system and easily ranks up there with the top five best ever upgrades . Two of the others being the Lingo in the first place and an Ittok LV11 replacing a Rega RB200 . Oh yes and a 52 replacing an 82 .
We are very lucky to have guys like Darren at Class A and Johnny 7 at Audio Origami keeping classic equipment going and I believe actually bettering the original .
Find all posts by this user
2012-07-05, 23:48
RE: In praise of Class A
Sounds good and pretty typical. Genuine good guy.

He will be attending my next open day event on Thursday 19th July.

Darran, plans to be on hand and available at the shop to answer your questions from about 3pm until 6:30pm FYI.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 0333 200 4475
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
Facebook - www.facebook.com/Cymbiosisaudio/
www.cymbiosis.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-07-06, 02:03
I mailed him my broken Lingo I from the USA and he did excellent and fast work. I agree it sounds better now. I think he re-capped it, as the first Lingos are a bit old now.
2012-07-06, 03:13 (This post was last modified: 2012-07-06 03:17 by mudcrutch.)
He is a top bloke on all things Naim also.
Please get his name right,
Its Darran.
His mom was a Darran Darran FanCool
Mud
2012-07-11, 01:27
Thank you for your kind words.

Also a big thank you to a few unsung heroes at Linn, Jamie Alison and Petra in service and all the ladies in spares who constantly go out of their way to make my job so much easier...

Class A Sheffield
Naim and Linn authorised servicing and repairs
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-07-27, 13:42
Finding no dealer anywhere near to Geneva to service my malfunctioning Valhalla board, I bought a used Lingo 1 from my old and reputable Linn dealer in the USA while on a visit. Upon my return I installed the Lingo following the dealer set up manual ver. 1998. The 33 ⅓ speed works fine and sounds much improved but on on 45 rpm the platter turns at approx half speed. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions of someone near Geneva who could service my LP12 would be great!
thanks in advance
Peter
2012-07-28, 03:09
(2012-07-27 13:42)pfajans Wrote:  Finding no dealer anywhere near to Geneva to service my malfunctioning Valhalla board, I bought a used Lingo 1 from my old and reputable Linn dealer in the USA while on a visit. Upon my return I installed the Lingo following the dealer set up manual ver. 1998. The 33 ⅓ speed works fine and sounds much improved but on on 45 rpm the platter turns at approx half speed. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions of someone near Geneva who could service my LP12 would be great!
thanks in advance
Peter
Evilbay can be a right git.
My council tip is open 24 hours a day.
But not at night,
Thread Closed