Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-03, 00:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Off-topic v / facebook/virgin media problem?

facebook/virgin media problem?
2012-07-09, 19:45 (This post was last modified: 2012-07-09 19:46 by salamonscream.)
facebook/virgin media problem?
Hi
Can anyone help!!
When I try to log onto Facebook via my Virgin wired connection I get The spinning disc and connecting is displayed This can go on for a hour or more!!
When I do manage to get to the log in page I put in the details and get the spinning disc and connected to Facebook but no access.

I have taken my laptop to my sisters and tried it on her plusnet wireless network and Facebook works no problem!!

The problem is now back and I have tried rebooting the modem with no joy.
Any ideas?
I can access all other sites with no problem, It's just facebook.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-07-09, 19:49
RE: facebook/virgin media problem?
(2012-07-09 19:45)salamonscream Wrote:  Hi
Can anyone help!!
When I try to log onto Facebook via my Virgin wired connection I get The spinning disc and connecting is displayed This can go on for a hour or more!!
When I do manage to get to the log in page I put in the details and get the spinning disc and connected to Facebook but no access.

I have taken my laptop to my sisters and tried it on her plusnet wireless network and Facebook works no problem!!

The problem is now back and I have tried rebooting the modem with no joy.
Any ideas?
I can access all other sites with no problem, It's just facebook.

Odd!

I'm on virgin and just had a look to see if i had problems getting to faebook too and it was fine, acessed it straight away.

Virgin have started seriously throttling bandwidth in the evenings though, my connection is worse than dial up some nights.
2012-07-09, 20:12
I dont seem to have any speed reduction at all as all other sites load within about a second. it also seems to have got quicker recently.
The problem occurs on both firefox and IE9 so would seem to be external or via the wired connection.
2012-07-09, 20:40
I have no idea what to suggest, sounds very odd, sorry i can't help.
2012-07-09, 20:48
Any chance you have a big upgrade being downloaded in the background?

Not much
2012-07-09, 20:50
I was reading this today

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18735228

I dont know the full details behind this but could your problem be related? I suspect that it is computer related so the fact that your computer works at another location suggest it is not this problem.

Just my musings...

Dave

LP12+Origin Live Alliance+Ortofon 2m Red > Graham Slee Communicator = AkurateDS/D > silver > KK/1D > silver > Keltik Klimax XOvers > black > 2x4200/D > K600(+2) > Keltiks
2012-07-10, 08:12
Thanks for your replys guys!!
Salty Good idea but I have not downloaded any large files and it happens every time I try to connect to facebook at home.
All other sites open rapidly.
Dave The FBI thing is the complete shut down of servers that criminals used to route spam and malware and would result in complete loss of web connection.
All my virus and spyware scans show no infections and firewalls are in place.
Facebook is whirling away as I type.
2012-07-10, 08:24
Have you tried clearing your caches and website preferences? might be something conflicting or getting stuck when the page is loading, just on the off chance clear the facebook cookies too.
2012-07-10, 08:31
SWMBO is having trouble with her Virgin mail. The emais are arriving in TB with the attachments (and sometimes all text) stripped. They are fine when read in webmail though.

Virgin are playing silly buggers again Rolleyes

For great music recommendations, and more, look no further than the HiFiKabin
2012-07-10, 15:19
I was thinking about those lovely windows, adobe, and anti-virus programs that download on their own.

Not much