Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-21, 05:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Turntables & Record Players: Linn Sondek LP12 v / Kairn as phono stage into Klimax Kontrol - connection advice needed please

Thread Closed 
Kairn as phono stage into Klimax Kontrol - connection advice needed please
2012-07-27, 08:59 (This post was last modified: 2012-07-27 08:59 by pdcman.)
RE: Kairn as phono stage into Klimax Kontrol - connection advice needed please
I ran my Kairn as a phono stage for years. I was shocked to hear it into a Linto after trying one. Massive difference. The Kairn and the tape out configuration really does loose a huge amount of information.

If you are not using your Kairn for anything else, sell it, and use the funds to get a Linto.

Just my opinion of course.......
Find all posts by this user
2012-07-27, 10:05 (This post was last modified: 2012-07-27 10:06 by mickc.)
(2012-07-26 22:58)HBerg Wrote:  
(2012-07-26 21:49)mickc Wrote:  It would be a pain having to reverse the 'speaker connections each time you wanted to listen to vinyl.

Sure. So when you find out if it reverse phase or not you do the neccerrary change at the cartridge end instead of at the speaker end. Then all the sources will be at correct phase and no need to change anything later Wink

Excellent idea! I'm so used to folk using the Kairn as a full pre-amp where the phase swap would need to be at the 'speakers I'd not thought of this.
(2012-07-27 08:59)pdcman Wrote:  I ran my Kairn as a phono stage for years. I was shocked to hear it into a Linto after trying one. Massive difference. The Kairn and the tape out configuration really does loose a huge amount of information.

If you are not using your Kairn for anything else, sell it, and use the funds to get a Linto.

I'd go along with this too. I moved from Kairn to Linto (via Dynavector P75) and it was a big improvement.

Mick

Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1/D * Akubarik/P
MDSM/3 * Majik 109
2012-07-27, 11:32
Agree! Linto is very clear upgrade from Karin phono stage - I have linto running into a Karin, yours would be even better going to KK!
2012-07-27, 13:51
(2012-07-27 08:59)pdcman Wrote:  I ran my Kairn as a phono stage for years. I was shocked to hear it into a Linto after trying one. Massive difference. The Kairn and the tape out configuration really does loose a huge amount of information.

Thanks for pointing that out and have no doubt this is good advice. I have become aware the Kairn is a weak point in my LP12 set-up and I plan it to be one of the first things to be changed.

I have been actually considering Radikal / Urika - whilst moving on the Lingo, Kairn, Tramp and T-cable to help reduce the cost. Working on a strategy, but need to listen to some upgrades first. I certainly agree a Linto would be a cost-effective solution in the short-term at any rate..

From the connection changes I made last night, the improvements have been excellent. A lot of records played. The KK is having its say.
Thread Closed