Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-02, 22:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Development v / Some thoughts on using Songbox and iTunes

Some thoughts on using Songbox and iTunes
2012-10-04, 12:13
I haven't tried Songbox yet, despite being a Mac user. The reason for this is that I understand that, in its current incarnation, Songbox uses the iTunes library and does not serve media files independently of this. My music files are located on a headless Mac Mini (currently running MinimServer), whereas my ripping is done on a desktop iMac (on the same network) and that is where my iTunes library sits. The iMac is not "always on" but the headless Mac Mini is. What I refer to as my pseudo NAS. I am wondering if there is an easy way (preferably a cost free way) of setting up something which monitors changes in the iTunes library on my iMac, and automatically updates a mirror iTunes library on the Mac Mini each time I rip a new CD. Or something like that. That way, I would be inclined to give Songbox a go.

KDS1 - KK1/D - 4 x Solos/D - Sonus Faber Amati Futura
Cables: Vertere Pulse B, Pulse X
Mains: Black Rhodium Libra + Cratos; Richard Gray RGPC 600S
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-04, 12:31 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-04 12:37 by Baba Yaga.)
RE: Some thoughts on using Songbox and iTunes
(2012-10-04 12:13)rad Wrote:  I haven't tried Songbox yet, despite being a Mac user. The reason for this is that I understand that, in its current incarnation, Songbox uses the iTunes library and does not serve media files independently of this. My music files are located on a headless Mac Mini (currently running MinimServer), whereas my ripping is done on a desktop iMac (on the same network) and that is where my iTunes library sits. The iMac is not "always on" but the headless Mac Mini is. What I refer to as my pseudo NAS. I am wondering if there is an easy way (preferably a cost free way) of setting up something which monitors changes in the iTunes library on my iMac, and automatically updates a mirror iTunes library on the Mac Mini each time I rip a new CD. Or something like that. That way, I would be inclined to give Songbox a go.

I assume you purchased you requipment to get the best possible sound. If you use songcast, the PC clock will be used and the clock within the DS will try to adjust. This will lead to a possible sound degradation.

Update: sorry, comment applies to Songcast, not Songbox.
2012-11-29, 09:33
I spoke to Tony from Linn yesterday evening. He is responsible for Sales in the Netherlands market. He informed me that the goo people at Linn will be concentrating on software for the next year, and that a new version of Songbox with added functionality will be released shortly.

Apparently, Songbox will be developed into a full mediaserver, rather than just looking at iTunes. I, for one, am happy about that. Let's see what they come up with - I can't wait to get my hands in this :-)

Greetz, Willem

Enjoying great music on my Akurate system :-)
2012-11-29, 11:04
Hi rad,

why maintain 2 iTunes Lib´s at all? Mac Mini aka Pseudo NAS is always on, have your iTunes Lib on that. Keep an Alias of the iTunes Lib of your Mac Mini in your Music folder on your iMac. If Mac Mini is running, network is on, when you start iMac and iTunes on iMac after pointing iTunes via ALT while starting to that Alias Lib, it should work with just one iTunes library.
I am using iTunes only for my Audiobooks, music is in Flac on Ready Nas as back up and Mac Mini headless with MinimServer for better quality sound.

Best
Chris
2012-12-01, 19:13
(2012-11-29 11:04)Linnga Wrote:  Hi rad,

why maintain 2 iTunes Lib´s at all? Mac Mini aka Pseudo NAS is always on, have your iTunes Lib on that. Keep an Alias of the iTunes Lib of your Mac Mini in your Music folder on your iMac. If Mac Mini is running, network is on, when you start iMac and iTunes on iMac after pointing iTunes via ALT while starting to that Alias Lib, it should work with just one iTunes library.
I am using iTunes only for my Audiobooks, music is in Flac on Ready Nas as back up and Mac Mini headless with MinimServer for better quality sound.

Best
Chris

I faffed around with this ages ago when I tried to get Chorus server working seamlessly on my setup. I just don't like it. iTunes is not flexible enough. I have decided to steer clear of relying on iTunes when it comes to serving my music. I will wait for Linn to release a version of their server which does not piggyback on iTunes. I'm sure its on the way. By the way, in the 2011 thread which speculated on what would be new from Linn in 2012 I rashly predicted a server program. In my opinion, they need to provide a robust, bespoke, full cycle ripping, tagging, server, control, streaming package - open standard alternatives notwithstanding.

2012-12-02, 20:02 (This post was last modified: 2012-12-02 20:21 by Midnight Rambler.)
I just installed Songbox on my mac mini server. It works perfectly. When compared to Chorus mac using an iTunes Library (all WAV), Songbox allows browsing by album artist which Chorus does not do as well. Before switching to a mac I used Twonky with a folder view to get the same result.

Having been with a Linn DS since the KDS first came out (my KDS came with Auskerry installed) and has been back to the factory twice for upgrades, Linn has made leaps and bounds in the development of this platform. Kudos for Linn for not only focusing on the product itself but also on how the product is utilized.

Some suggestions:
1. Allowing the composer tag in iTunes to be read and displayed. Sorting already works. One flaw of iTunes is dealing with multiple composers. I listed all of my tags with a <cr> (carriage return) in iTunes and Chorus displays them perfectly in a list. I would love to see this. Currently the <cr> is not read at all in Kinsky but is in Chorus.
All of my songs have dual tags: an embedded WAV LIST tag done by dBpoweramp and the associated iTunes tag. For those mac faithful, you can use BWF MetaEdit on the mac platform to edit the WAV tags easily. WAV List tags are easily read on a mac. Since there are no composer or album artist LIST fields, I have them mapped to comment and copyright fields allowing conversion to another codec if desired; or if the iTunes library got corrupted, the songs still can be identified.
2. Instead of a folder appearing for anything but the Album view, how about carrying this forward a using the first Folder.jpg associated with that way of sorting. It would look cleaner. This is done nicely in iTunes 11 in the Artist view.
3. Update to the new iTunes icon.

Thanks in advance for considering my suggestions.
2013-01-16, 21:10
(2012-10-04 12:13)rad Wrote:  I haven't tried Songbox yet, despite being a Mac user. The reason for this is that I understand that, in its current incarnation, Songbox uses the iTunes library and does not serve media files independently of this. My music files are located on a headless Mac Mini (currently running MinimServer), whereas my ripping is done on a desktop iMac (on the same network) and that is where my iTunes library sits. The iMac is not "always on" but the headless Mac Mini is. What I refer to as my pseudo NAS. I am wondering if there is an easy way (preferably a cost free way) of setting up something which monitors changes in the iTunes library on my iMac, and automatically updates a mirror iTunes library on the Mac Mini each time I rip a new CD. Or something like that. That way, I would be inclined to give Songbox a go.

Hi Rad, only read your message now. Is this resolved? If not, I might give some advice, I run a very similar (about identical) setup... :-)
2013-01-27, 10:07
(2013-01-16 21:10)audiotic Wrote:  

Hi Rad, only read your message now. Is this resolved? If not, I might give some advice, I run a very similar (about identical) setup... :-)

I am very interested to know how you have this setup working. Especially if you are synchronizing your iTunes library between an iMac and Mac mini.

2013-01-27, 22:22
Send me a private note. OK?
2013-01-28, 03:06
(2013-01-27 22:22)audiotic Wrote:  Send me a private note. OK?

PM sent.