Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-23, 00:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / LK85/Kolektor combo - ok for floorstanders?

LK85/Kolektor combo - ok for floorstanders?
2012-10-05, 22:05
Rolleyes LK85/Kolektor combo - ok for floorstanders?
Hi everyone

This is my first post on these forums, and so far the info here has been very helpful.
I am about to begin my first steps into hifi and have been looking alot on the second hand market here in NZ. Currently there is a LK85 and Kolektor available on an online auction site and it is still at fairly low dollars.

My question is the following: Is the lk85 enough 'power' to drive a set of floorstanding speakers? The seller says that he has had the lk85 driving his linn keilidh speakers and that this works well. But I have heard that the lk85 just doesnt have enough oomph to support the bottom end of some good floor standing speakers.

I am interested in a set of floor standers for stereo audio listening only (maybe the odd movie as well). My room size is 16 square metres. Still unsure about which floor standers but would prefer them over bookshelf style as Im after a fair bit of clean bass response and I like the look of two tall speakers.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated, please also bear in mind I am on a fairly small budget (about $1200NZD total at the moment for the full set up) and so cant really afford two lk852 at present (although this could be a possibility in the next year or so if required).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-05, 22:26 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-05 22:27 by Warren.)
RE: LK85/Kolektor combo - ok for floorstanders?
Hello Mike - welcome.

An LK85 can definitely drive a Keilidh, a friend had Kollektor-LK85-Keilidh for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if the LK85 was also designed to drive a Ninka, the similarly sized Keilidh's replacement.

I actually heard an LK85 drive the very demanding Akurate 242 and it sounded fine, didn't scream underpowered at all.

Side point: I wonder if a LK140 is better than two LK85. One AV5125 is definitely better than two LK85, what my friend is active with now.

LP12 KDS1 KK1 KCT K200 A242/1 --- Lingo2 Keel Trampolin2/PlatformOne Ekos2/sKale Akiva Linto --- Hutter, 3*Kinsky, FS605, QNAP TS219P+ Asset
2012-10-05, 22:28 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-05 22:32 by mikeburns.)
Thanks for the super quick response Warren! So would this be the case for other non-linn floor standing speakers? Probably cannot afford matching linn speakers on my budget at the moment, but figured the kollector/lk85 would be a great place to start for my amp, so long as it has enough grunt to drive bigger speakers? I mean around 100 - 200 Watt floorstanders rather than smaller rated ones (e.g. keilidh which is around 60watts).
2012-10-05, 22:38
Probably no - is the simple answer for 100+ Watt speakers.

LK85 is 85 Watts into 4 ohms, 62W per channel into 8 ohms.

LP12 KDS1 KK1 KCT K200 A242/1 --- Lingo2 Keel Trampolin2/PlatformOne Ekos2/sKale Akiva Linto --- Hutter, 3*Kinsky, FS605, QNAP TS219P+ Asset
2012-10-05, 23:44
As the Kolektor and Wakonda are around the same price I would try and get a Wakonda personally.

Squeezebox Touch & Oppo 93 - Unidisk SC - 1x AV5105 & 3x LK100 - Keltiks with K400 & Blacks
2012-10-06, 02:01
thanks everyone for the much needed replies, it was as I figured, not really enough for large floor standers, I will keep hunting, thanks again!
2012-10-06, 12:28
Hi Mike,

I wouldn't necessarily discount the lk 85 just yet. Whether it can drive the speakers or not has more to do with their efficiency and impedence rather than power ratings. It really is down to synergy and ease of drive.

Re the power rating, a range is normally quoted, eg 20-100 watts. Just because the lk85 is 62 watts into 8 ohms doesn't mean it will necessarily struggle with a speaker that is capable of handling up to 100 watts. It's the lower figure in the range that is a better indication of requirements. This is on the assumption the 100-200 watts you mention relates to upper value (i assume so as I've not had personal experience of speakers that need a minimum of 100 watts!).

I also wouldn't assume larger speakers are more difficult to drive. Often larger drivers can be more efficient and some bookshelf speakers can be hard work.

I used to own an lk85 and drove a pair of Naim Intros quite happily in a medium room.

However, if lack of power is always going to be at the back of your mind I agree it may be worth a look around. I made a shift to a pair of lk240s and never worried about having enough power from then on! When pushed the lk85 could sound a bit harsh.

Amp and speaker matching is probably one of the more critical matches in the audio chain so good luck!

Regards,

LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Delos, Linto, Lingo 2, Majik DS (D), Exotik DA (D), 2250, Focal 1027Be.
Home Cinema stuff + AV5125 to power Rears and Centre.
2012-10-06, 12:35
Hmmm, unless you want to drive very insensitive bass heavy speakers to high levels the lk85 is highly competent.

Just because a speaker had a high power handling capacity, it doesn't mean it's hard to drive. Far more important is sensitivity.

The lk85 can easily drive 4ohm loads too.
2012-10-06, 13:31
(2012-10-06 12:35)linnfomaniac Wrote:  Hmmm, unless you want to drive very insensitive bass heavy speakers to high levels the lk85 is highly competent.
Agreed. In my experience over many years of LK85 and LK140 they are more than capable unless you drive them to levels which would waken up the neighbourhood. Dismissing them in the way that has been done is elitist garbage.
2012-10-08, 09:40
I have 2 85's into Activ Ninka, in a 12'x14' room and it drives them with ease.