Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-30, 16:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Cheap speakers for an SDS

Cheap speakers for an SDS
2012-10-07, 15:54
Cheap speakers for an SDS
Hi,

I've just bought a SDS for my daughter. She's at college and has been using a NAS with her ipod touch and a sound dock.

I understand that the SDS is good enough to be partnered with expensive Linn Speakers but what I'm looking for is a pair of cheap, small speakers to go with it.

Being only 20w/ch I'm assuming that it needs efficient speakers, but all the ones I've looked at (Wharfeday Diamond 9s, AE Compact One, Tannoy Mercury V1, Mission MX1) are all around 86dB.

Will any of these work satisfactorily, can the SDS be damaged and what other suggestions/recommendations do you have?

Budget aropund £100, although Ive seen the Diamonds for £50, and would prepared to go to £150 if there were obvious benefits.

Remember this is a starter system, and she can upgrade plenty in future.

Thanks

Jeremy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-07, 16:02
RE: Cheap speakers for an SDS
(2012-10-07 15:54)Jeremy Carter Wrote:  Hi,

I've just bought a SDS for my daughter. She's at college and has been using a NAS with her ipod touch and a sound dock.

I understand that the SDS is good enough to be partnered with expensive Linn Speakers but what I'm looking for is a pair of cheap, small speakers to go with it.

Being only 20w/ch I'm assuming that it needs efficient speakers, but all the ones I've looked at (Wharfeday Diamond 9s, AE Compact One, Tannoy Mercury V1, Mission MX1) are all around 86dB.

Will any of these work satisfactorily, can the SDS be damaged and what other suggestions/recommendations do you have?

Budget aropund £100, although Ive seen the Diamonds for £50, and would prepared to go to £150 if there were obvious benefits.

Thanks

Jeremy

I spent £50 on a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9s from Richer Sounds to partner an Intek in a second system, and have been very pleased with them. I find volume levels perfectly acceptable, so I don't think the Intek can be having any problems driving them - unless you want disco sound levels!

Akurate DSM, Akurate 4200 active, Ninkas (Main System), Sneaky DS, Intek, Wharfedale Diamonds (Secondary System), QNAP TS-219PII (MinimServer), iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad Air, iPhone 5, Kinsky/Kazoo/Songbook Lite
2012-10-07, 16:02
I run mine with Majik 109s, which are beyond your budget (a long way!) but sound great. What about a pair of Tukans? You might be able to pick some of those up for £150 if you're lucky and not too fussy about finish.

Otherwise, Komponent 104s would be a great partner and small to lug about to and from college.
2012-10-07, 17:30
Jeremy,

Why not try a pair of Q Acoustics, I've not heard these but I've heard good things...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/2020i

Perhaps some used Monitor Audio boxes? Again, not heard them myself but a friend has some of the BX2's with a mini system and loves them.

Alex
2012-10-07, 21:47
Uniks, Q Accoustics, Project Audio!
2012-10-07, 21:55
Saw some project audios yesterday while nosing about in Harrods, (I'd forgotten they'd closed the HMV!)... Very nice finish, and come in gloss red, gloss white or gloss black. very pretty.
They also had some Naim Floorstanders!

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2012-10-07, 23:03
(2012-10-07 15:54)Jeremy Carter Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks

Jeremy

You could try the Cambridge Audio S30's.
2012-10-08, 14:54
Hi Jeremy,

Just a bit over budget @£180 or so, but the Dali Zensor 1 seems to be a popular starter speaker where I live. Have not heard them myself, but they are supposed to be very good and easy to drive.
There are a couple of reviews out there, so you might want to google and see.

BTW, I personally use Sonus Faber Toy speakers with my SDS, and they sound very lively.
I've also tried it with Stirling LS3/5a V2, which are supposedly not easy to drive (I've never really had problems, so..).
While not as fitting as the Toy, the Sneaky got a very decent sound out of them.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

LP12 (Ekos/Cirkus/Lingo and Ittok/Cirkus/Lingo), Benz Micro ACE SL, ZYX R100 Yatra, Akurate DS/K, Majik DS/d, Marantz SACD, EAR 834 Custom, EAR 834P, Sutherland Ph3D, Unison Research amps, Sonus Faber speakers, Tannoy Speakers