Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-01, 07:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / new pre

new pre
2012-10-07, 20:15
new pre
My system is like this

ADS/0/Dynamik - Klimax Twin Chakra - A 242/II

I also have an LP12 which I do not use at the moment because of there is no pre.

So there are a few options I am considering.

Which do you think is the best in performance/price.

1. Add an AK/1
2. Sell the DS and buy an ADSM
3. Buy a secondhand KK/0 (no Dynamik)

LP12 Kore Radikal/Dynamik/Urika/Akiva -Akurate DS/Dynamik- KK - KCT - Akurate 242 MK3 (new bases)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-07, 20:28
RE: new pre
I'd go option 2) personally.

Rega RP6/Exact, Devialet 200, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, fancy cables and strange wooden grounding boxes.
2012-10-07, 20:43
Provided you aspire to one day improving your source, then I'd go with 3.

I'd go with 2 if that's going to be it for the next 10 years.
2012-10-07, 21:12
(2012-10-07 20:15)Kees Wrote:  My system is like this

ADS/0/Dynamik - Klimax Twin Chakra - A 242/II

I also have an LP12 which I do not use at the moment because of there is no pre.

So there are a few options I am considering.

Which do you think is the best in performance/price.

1. Add an AK/1
2. Sell the DS and buy an ADSM
3. Buy a secondhand KK/0 (no Dynamik)

Personally, and speaking from experience, I would be inclined to go for the KK, along with a separate phono stage to get your deck up and running. This is with the proviso that you would look to improve your DS in the future to some like a Klimax Renew or above. Further upgrades could then be made to the KK to bring it up to current spec.

Klimax Pre and power are a wonderful combination.

If this purchase is to last a long time, with no foreseeable future upgrades, then option 2…
2012-10-07, 21:20
Suprised everyone is adding a proviso to option 3 about upgrading the source again. If I remember correctly, the ADS (pre dynamik) was supposed to beat the CD12, and that was good enough for a KK.

Personally, if I had an LP12 I'd be weighing up the phono stages in the AK and ADSM... I suspect the AK will be better, but never heard a comparison. If the plan is to buy a seperate phonostage then I'd be leaning towards the KK (but then, I'm semiplanning on saving up for a KK anyway so...)

MDS-I -> ADS/D -> KK/D -> A4200/D -> K110s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-10-07, 21:32
I'd get a 2nd hand Klimax Kontrol personally.

Squeezebox Touch & Oppo 93 - Unidisk SC - 1x AV5105 & 3x LK100 - Keltiks with K400 & Blacks
2012-10-07, 21:58
I wold seriously consider option 1 personally. Cracking phono stage and a very, very good preamplifier.

The KK is indeed nice - but IMHO the AK1 is close. Rare though.
2012-10-07, 22:04
I'd go option 2. The ADSM will sound better than the ADS/0/D as a DS, and lets you start using the LP12 again.
2012-10-07, 22:53
I guess it comes down to how good the anticipated LP12 performance needs to be... also, is there a price implication for the 'option to convert one analogue input to a phono stage'? There have been posts here suggesting the DSM as a bone fide pre-amp has some shortcomings, though it's not known how far these are audible. Given the power amps and 242 speakers already in the system it might be better to have the better stand alone preamp.

I get Rowland's idea about the DSM giving you a better DS at the same time, but the existing DS/0 could be upgraded to ADS/1 status in the future, or possibly coupling this idea to a s/h AK mk1 which would match the DS... So you get the latest DS sound without the limitations of the inbuilt preamp of the DSM.

My dealer said he didn't recommend the DSM if I was planning to run the system at the upper end of the volume setting for long periods,as it got grainy sounding and that the DS sound was not as good as the standalone DS. He did say it would be good if the system had lots of other digital sources to hook up, all of which would benefit, but he was clearly guiding me towards the idea of a better long term plan with separates, especially as I already had a decent preamp with my 5103. His advice left me thinking the DSM was not really a fix-all solution, but maybe better for someone building a DS system from scratch.... Additionally, the DSM cannot be used, as far as I have learned, as a standalone DS hooked to a better preamp in the future, as it would introduce two preamps to the system. Again, depends if this is the last planned purchase for a while.

Of your options I would be tempted by the AK/1, though if it was my money I would be thinking upgrading the DS to new spec and getting s/h AK old style.

Apologies for the digression, but there are so many ways to skin a cat...
Have fun deciding.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2012-10-07, 22:57
KCT and KK is a wonderful watch. and FWIW i don't have my amp Dynamik, or the new mono board for the KK....the KK is Dynamik, but even prior to Dynamik going to KK has always been my biggest upgrade. Got both of mine second hand about 4 yrs ago and will Never part with the KK, and only with KCT if I could ever afford solos...but no need for them at the moment either...I'm currently quite pleased with everything.

LP12, Keel Ekos 2, Akiva, 2 Lintos, Lingo2, 242s Mk2 Single wired K400, KKD, KCT RelB1 Sub, Pekin, Oppo 83se.