Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-17, 04:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Klimax Kontrol Cabling Issue

Klimax Kontrol Cabling Issue
2012-10-09, 01:13
Klimax Kontrol Cabling Issue
I have a silly question. Big Grin

I will be receiving a used kk/1 soon. This kk/1 will be connected to a kds/1 using a balanced interconnect. Is it possible to use a rca cable to connect the kk/1 to the kct?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-09, 01:25
RE: Klimax Kontrol Cabling Issue
Yes. You can connect a kds/1 to kk/1 using rca cables.
2012-10-09, 01:31
(2012-10-09 01:25)Linnsomniak Wrote:  Yes. You can connect a kds/1 to kk/1 using rca cables.

I have only one balanced cables but a lot of rca cables, so i was thinking of using the balanced cable between the kds1 and kk1, then use a rca cable between the kk1 and kct. Smile
2012-10-09, 08:19
Hi,
Your proposed set up ( balanced from kk to kds and rca to kct is how I have mine. ) sounds best this way.
My dealer and I spent a half a day this time last year experimenting. He brought a second set of silver balanced cables to my house to see if the kct would sound better with them; the simple answer after a lot of testing was a very obvious no, the link between kk1 and kct ( dynamiked) sounds much better via the rca.
I and he have heard from Linn that the Kct is not a true balanced design, maybe that is the reason why. Try it if you like, but get a loan of a pair, don't order a set as you will be disappointed.
Enjoy your system the way it is without that upgrade itchWink

Avalon

Klimax DS/1 , Klimax Kontrol/2, klimax chakra twin(Dk), akurate 242 (new bases) speakers,nordost Tyr & Chord Sarum Tuned Aray balanced, Chord Sarum Tuned Aray mains for Ds,russ andrews purifier block . Tranquil ava rs3 server, ipad 2 & kinsky & songbook lite. Sonos for multiroom.
2012-10-09, 10:20 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-09 10:43 by Briain.)
Hi

It depends on the distance between your KK and your power amp. The advantage of balanced cable is that it's better at rejecting noise and thus is well suited to longer cable runs; that's why it's used for stage microphones and studio kit). It also gets round the issue of any noise on the ground of the KK (ie noise from the internals being grounded) being added to the audio signal (ie the potential difference between the cases of the KK and power amp) being added to the audio signal (another reason why it's used for studio kit) though I'd expect the KK to be very well behaved in the noise departement (I'd guess that's likely one reason Linn decided to put the Dynamic power supply in an isolation tray - a plastic box - inside the KK and KDS).

In any case, if the amp sits next to the KK (as it will be in many home installations) then these issues should not be so important (particularly if using Linn Silver RCA cables as they have a twin screen and thus provide a very low impedance link between the two products) but in the case where you have a power amp sitting next to each speaker and the preamp at the other side of the room, balanced cables would be a far better plan. That's why the 350A has balanced inputs (in my case, I have 2 x 9 meter runs of cable between the KK and 350A).

I also use balanced between my KK and KDS as I just like the idea of balanced interconnections. In the case of a KDS, it has an output transformer so it's natural state is balanced; using RCA's between the KDS and preamp unbalances a balanced system. If I had external power amps (ie not ones built into my speakers) sitting next to the KK, I'd probably not worry if the links between KK and power amps were balanced or unbalanced, as long as they were high quality and short. Being me, I'd just make up balanced ones as I prefer the concept of balanced interconnects (and that I don't like using RCA anywhere; that you can unplug it and take out your treble units seems a flawed design concept, to me). Tongue

In my TV room, I have a MDS-I and 2250/D, so I've no option but to use RCA interconnections. In that situation, I've made the interconnects as short as possible, used Linn 'Silver' cable, ensured the mains earths are good (no 4 way mains distribution block) and I've mounted an earth terminal on the 2250/D and bonded the MDSI and 2250/D with a short and thick strap between the two cases (actually about 20 cm of 10 mm multi-strand cable). All these things were done to ensure both equipment cases were at th same potential and thus reduce noise from the MDSI's ground being added to the audio signal. Having sorted it all out, it sounds mighty fine!! Smile

Bri
2012-10-09, 11:05
From memory a new KK/1 comes with both RCA and XLR silvers so you may have a choice if you get all the cables.

Rega RP6/Exact, Simaudio Moon 180D MiND, Devialet 170, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, Audiovector Zero speaker cable, Hutter Racktime.
2012-10-09, 11:10
I use balanced from DS to KK/1, then RCA on to the KCT too.
2012-10-09, 13:42
An important point to remember should you wish to compare balanced vs rca cables between the KDS/1 and KK is to use only one pair at a time:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.p...#pid145279
2012-10-09, 18:20
I have an Aktiv system. 4 twins and KXO to Komris
KDS/1/D to KK was always balanced as LINN advice was it is significantly better.
Asked LINN for advice re KK to KXO connection. Advice was balanced wouyd provide an improvement.
So replaced my RCA with balanced (all silver).
First it sounded poor
But my additude is always to leave it for a while and let the system settle etc and see,.
within a few days it was much much better and I cannot go back to RCA with this configeration.
2012-10-09, 18:51
Can anyone remember whether the output of a CD12 is true balanced and so optimally suited to XLR connection?
If so would you mind sharing the info? Wink