Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-28, 08:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / are all LP45s better?

are all LP45s better?
2012-10-10, 18:19
are all LP45s better?
I've got a few LP45s, for example Fleetwood Mac Rumors and even some 12" 45 singles. They sound a great deal better than the 33 1/3 pressings Is this/will this Always be the case due simply to the fact there is more vinyl used for less information (not sure if i worded that correctly), or does production of the album have a lot to do with it? Lastly, I've been on the hunt for lp45s and for my taste can only seem to find some Doors albums and an Allison Kraus. Anyone know a good source? Why dont more labels do this...yes they cost more $, but to me its Worth it!

LP12, Keel Ekos 2, Akiva, 2 Lintos, Lingo2, 242s Mk2 Single wired K400, KKD, KCT RelB1 Sub, Pekin, Oppo 83se.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-10, 18:36 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-10 18:41 by Tony Tune-age.)
RE: are all LP45s better?
(2012-10-10 18:19)antnick Wrote:  I've got a few LP45s, for example Fleetwood Mac Rumors and even some 12" 45 singles. They sound a great deal better than the 33 1/3 pressings Is this/will this Always be the case due simply to the fact there is more vinyl used for less information (not sure if i worded that correctly), or does production of the album have a lot to do with it? Lastly, I've been on the hunt for lp45s and for my taste can only seem to find some Doors albums and an Allison Kraus. Anyone know a good source? Why dont more labels do this...yes they cost more $, but to me its Worth it!

I can pick-up various twelve inch forty-fives at most any of my local record stores. Not certain where these shops order from, but I have 12" 45's by Aero Smith, Billy Idol, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, and others.

As it turns out, they have sounded better than the 33 1/3 versions, but not sure if that is the norm.
2012-10-10, 18:48 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-10 18:52 by Baba Yaga.)
(2012-10-10 18:36)Tony Tune-age Wrote:  
(2012-10-10 18:19)antnick Wrote:  I've got a few LP45s, for example Fleetwood Mac Rumors and even some 12" 45 singles. They sound a great deal better than the 33 1/3 pressings Is this/will this Always be the case due simply to the fact there is more vinyl used for less information (not sure if i worded that correctly), or does production of the album have a lot to do with it? Lastly, I've been on the hunt for lp45s and for my taste can only seem to find some Doors albums and an Allison Kraus. Anyone know a good source? Why dont more labels do this...yes they cost more $, but to me its Worth it!

I can pick-up various twelve inch forty-fives at most any of my local record stores. Not certain where these shops order from, but I have 12" 45's by Aero Smith, Billy Idol, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, and others.

As it turns out, they have sounded better than the 33 1/3 versions, but not sure if that is the norm.

Yes, everything else equal they 45 version in 12" should sound superior, similar to tape quality better at higher speed.
I have a absolutely stunning album in 45 rpm on 2 disks from Almeida.

A 45 rpm cut sounds better than the 33 rpm because the cartridge can more accurately track the groove better. The groove modulations is stretched out over a distance 50% longer than on a disk at 33 rpm whcih makes it easier for the cartridge.
2012-10-10, 18:49
I've got a 2x45rpm pressing of /The Stone Roses/ which sounds absolutely awful, so it's not always the case. However, I have a lot of 12" singles from the 80s that sound phenomenal.

Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
2012-10-10, 21:59
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue will be worth while.

Not much
2012-10-10, 22:01
Here you will find a lot of 45s:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/

I have bought records from them and they have good prices and the records are properly packed.
Freight cost is a little expensive to Europe imo.

-LP12/Keel/Radikal/Ekos SE/sKale/Benz LP
-LP12/Keel/Armageddon/Ekos 2/Benz Ruby 2
-Audio Research SP-11/Mark Levinson No. 27.5
-ProAc Response 3.8
2012-10-11, 00:37
The reason that 45's sound better is because the mastering engineer can get more cutting level on the 45 without fear of the modulations breaking into the adjacent groove wall. This is a constant danger on a 33-1/3. Therefore the dynamic range is wider and no limiting need be applied.
You hear this as better, more effortless sound quality. The only downside is that the stylus temperatures get much, much hotter, therefore it you only play 45's your cartridge will wear out about 30% quicker, so just have a treat now and again.
Moderation.

Classic Linn/Naim Six Pack Active Brik System.
Turbocharger driven by a Peter Swain Signature LP12 Music Power Station

The Sara Doctor.
email
thesaradoctor@gmail.com
2012-10-11, 08:24
(2012-10-10 22:01)HBerg Wrote:  Here you will find a lot of 45s:

I have bought records from them and they have good prices and the records are properly packed.

- Thanks HBerg- great link
cheers
:-)

A Linn system that I am proud of
2012-10-11, 12:10
(2012-10-10 22:01)HBerg Wrote:  Here you will find a lot of 45s:

Good link, thanks for posting Cool
2012-10-13, 06:32
(2012-10-11 00:37)Dr_Eddie Wrote:  The reason that 45's sound better is because the mastering engineer can get more cutting level on the 45 without fear of the modulations breaking into the adjacent groove wall. This is a constant danger on a 33-1/3. Therefore the dynamic range is wider and no limiting need be applied.

I dont agree at all. Using 33, you can space the grooves wider and thus increase amplification beyond 45. 45 mostly serves to increase physical problems of the turntable setup due to the faster speed/higher rotational mass. The 7" is OK because the radius is so short the needle speed is not that high anyway.

In my experience owning apx 1000 12" records, I always prefer the US 33 rpm version to the typical UK 45 rpm.

Mixing 33s is also much more convenient than 45.
If given a choice I would prefer a wide spaced 33 than a 45 with crammed grooves.