Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-16, 05:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Teenagers and College Students Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction

Teenagers and College Students Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
2012-10-11, 20:05
Teenagers and College Students Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
There's hope for hifi.

From http://www.aes.org/events/132/papers/?ID=3050

Some New Evidence that Teenagers and College Students May Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction

Sean Olive, Harman International Industries Inc. - Northridge, CA, USA

A group of 18 high school and 40 college students with different expertise in sound evaluation participated in two separate controlled listening tests that measured their preference choices between music reproduced in (1) MP3 (128 kbp/s) and lossless CD-quality file formats, and (2) music reproduced through four different consumer loudspeakers. As a group, the students preferred the CD-quality reproduction in 70% of the trials and preferred music reproduced through the most accurate, neutral loudspeaker. Critical listening experience was a significant factor in the listeners’ performance and preferences. Together, these tests provide some new evidence that both teenagers and college students can discern and appreciate a better quality of reproduced sound when given the opportunity to directly compare it against lower quality options.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-11, 20:14
RE: Teenagers and College Students Prefer Accurate Sound Reproduction
Yet they still find it necessary to dress in those awful hoodies and forget to wash their hair. Sad
What happened to all the real goths?!

ADS/D -> KK/D -> A4200/D -> K110s
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-10-11, 20:19
A more detailed article.

http://hometheaterreview.com/does-genera...-over-cds/

The speaker test.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com.au/
2012-10-11, 20:35
"Most surprising was the relatively poor performance of the audio reviewers, who despite their credentials and years of professional experience, performed 1/5 as well as the trained listeners"

from Sean's blog http://seanolive.blogspot.com.au/2008/12...es-of.html
2012-10-11, 21:11
I'm 17, prefer listening to a good hi-fi system and I wash my hair and don't wear hoodies! Mind you pretty much everyone I know thinks overblown bass with subwoofers sounds brilliant? I can tell the difference between MP3 and Flac and know what I prefer at least....

Home: Squeezebox Touch - Unidisk SC - 1x AV5105 & 3x LK100 - Keltiks with K400 & Blacks - Wharfedale SW250 - Rotel amps - Rears & Centrik MK1

University: Creative sound card - Rotel RA971 - Linn Katans & Wharfedale sub
2012-10-11, 21:40
Well done.

Wow, if only I had had aktiv Ninkas when I was 17. I didn't even have a separates system then!
2012-10-12, 00:29
Very interesting Warren. In the listening tests, the audio retailers did much better than the audio reviewers. I've always had a good respect for the high end audio shops and enjoy visiting them and talking with them. They seem to have a very good knowledge of things audio. I trust my own ears, but generally speaking they have very good knowledge and experience and are very helpful and are genuinely concerned with my audio satisfaction. (I'm not in the audio business, but just want to tip my hat to the shops)
2012-10-12, 02:05
I'm 21 and started caring about good sound at 16, and hifi at 17. Bought a Zeppelin at 18, a sneaky at 19, a Majik DSI at 20.
I have no money for social life, so hifi is what I care about Tongue

Renew DS, Klimax 350A,
Majik DSI, Majik 140
Stax SR-007 mk2, SRM-007 tii
Ikemi, Wakonda, Epicure M1, Magnepan.
2012-10-12, 09:03
What about the pensioners ? Tongue