Linn Forums

Current time: 2018-07-20, 23:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers v / Neil Young's Misguided Solo Project

Neil Young's Misguided Solo Project
2012-10-12, 14:06
Neil Young's Misguided Solo Project
Get the latest update from Gilad on Neil Young's Pono project and why it is doomed to failure:

"I cringed throughout Neil Young's recent appearance on The David Letterman Show, in the way you do when sensing public embarrassment of one of your heroes at the hands of a talk-show host. What made it worse though, was the confirmation it gave that my visit to Broken Arrow a year ago had made zero impact on the great man."

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/giladt/2012/10/n...roject.php

What do you think of Neil Young on Letterman and how do you think his Pono project will fare?

All comments and debate welcome.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-12, 14:43 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-12 14:48 by Baba Yaga.)
RE: Neil Young's Misguided Solo Project
(2012-10-12 14:06)oliverh Wrote:  Get the latest update from Gilad on Neil Young's Pono project and why it is doomed to failure:

"I cringed throughout Neil Young's recent appearance on The David Letterman Show, in the way you do when sensing public embarrassment of one of your heroes at the hands of a talk-show host. What made it worse though, was the confirmation it gave that my visit to Broken Arrow a year ago had made zero impact on the great man."

http://blogs.linn.co.uk/giladt/2012/10/n...roject.php

What do you think of Neil Young on Letterman and how do you think his Pono project will fare?

All comments and debate welcome.

Of course it will fail...
The market doesn't need yet another device. Also Apple could support 24 Bit Music on all of their iThings in a splitsecond if they wanted...So even if it were successful, it won't be sustainable.
However: if as a result the studios offered more of their catalogues as 24 Bit versions it were a positive outcome for everybody anyway...
Find all posts by this user
2012-10-12, 15:58
I assume this is the same Gilad, that explained why Apple approach is the wrong way, and then over the next two years incorporated Airplay, and started an in-house server with music database extracted from iTunes. I don't believe in Neil Young's approach but Linn would have to accept that they are not the most influential body of opinion in the digital music world.

Linn players are some of the best in the world, but software and infrastructure can't be said to be their strongpoint.

Dave
2012-10-12, 16:42
Mind you if it sells more units with people more comfortable with accessing an iTunes library then I don't have a problem with this. It's rather foolish to be over-dogmatic.

Rega RP6/Exact, Mytek Brooklyn, Nord One SE power amp , Raidho C-1.1 speakers.
2012-10-12, 16:53
Absolutely agree
2012-10-15, 10:06
Pono will fail. Neil doesn't get it, his first idea is to sell us a bunch of blurays with old work for $300 and now want to sell an ugly device that does not add anything to existing consumer equipment experience. There's ton's of portable media players that can play FLAC or ALAC or OGG, it's not the device that will make a difference but the music industry needs to embrace a new business model away from physical products and their associated logistical hassles and middle men all having to earn from it. We're still far from it, even Linn sells their music with over the top prices. Buy a real SACD for less than a digital flac album? Give me a break..
2012-10-15, 11:01
And don't forget that the ALAC file format supported High Res & will convert down to AAC to put on you iPod etc.

I now convert from FLAC to ALAC on the Mac (Via Tunsify) works very well. iTunes is great for tagging individual albums.

If Apple made more of the high res capabiities of ALAC the I could even see FLAC failing.

Rik

http://www.rikwatson.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-10-15, 15:11
Hi Dave

What I actually said was it's not an Apple world, it's a networked world, and I stand by that.

Linn has taken an inclusive approach, advocating the open standards, yet supporting people who use Apple and other proprietary products and formats. We are totally committed to the standard home network, and want to provide the maximum interoperability for Linn owners.

Best
Gilad

(2012-10-12 15:58)DaveWr Wrote:  I assume this is the same Gilad, that explained why Apple approach is the wrong way, and then over the next two years incorporated Airplay, and started an in-house server with music database extracted from iTunes. I don't believe in Neil Young's approach but Linn would have to accept that they are not the most influential body of opinion in the digital music world.

Linn players are some of the best in the world, but software and infrastructure can't be said to be their strongpoint.

Dave
2012-10-15, 19:34
Apologies, fair comment, but you have committed significant effort to Apple proprietary support to a totally locked-in Apple networked standard - Airplay.

I agree choice is nice, I also prefer non proprietary standards, but often the correct features only occur with those that implement own standards, for example your own UPNP extensions.

Dave
2012-10-15, 20:32
(2012-10-15 19:34)DaveWr Wrote:  Apologies, fair comment, but you have committed significant effort to Apple proprietary support to a totally locked-in Apple networked standard - Airplay.

I agree choice is nice, I also prefer non proprietary standards, but often the correct features only occur with those that implement own standards, for example your own UPNP extensions.

Dave

Yeah, but as the iPad, in particular, is such a nice control point platform I'd have been very unhappy if I could Songcast from my laptop, but not had support for the similar feature on my iPad.

'troll