Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-28, 11:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Disk spinns down after a while - need hints and tips

Disk spinns down after a while - need hints and tips
2012-10-14, 13:12
Disk spinns down after a while - need hints and tips
Hello Linn friends,

I need some help with my configuration - Maik DSI

Twonky server runs on my MacMini, the library is directly attached via FW800 to improve browsing speed.

I have Kinsky as well on the MacMini and all runs fine.

BUT - if I use Kinsky from my Laptop (Win based) or from my iPhone I get drop outs. Looks to me that the disk powers down after a while (Twonky might buffer an amout of data... ). So it takes about 1-2 seconds to power up the disk and get it to the right speed - this happens all 2-3 minutes when using the Laptop / iPhone.

The disk is a Western Digital Caviar Green 2,5TB - it's nice and quit, but for now I am only using the Kinsky on the MacMini to control the Linn.

Any ideas for me?
A Twonky setting, settings for the MacMini or even setting for the disk itself?

Regards, ducman

PS: The strange thing is - the spin down does not happen when I use the Kinsky on the MacMini.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-10-19, 14:00
RE: Disk spinns down after a while - need hints and tips
(2012-10-14 13:12)ducatiman Wrote:  Hello Linn friends,

I need some help with my configuration - Maik DSI

Twonky server runs on my MacMini, the library is directly attached via FW800 to improve browsing speed.

I have Kinsky as well on the MacMini and all runs fine.

BUT - if I use Kinsky from my Laptop (Win based) or from my iPhone I get drop outs. Looks to me that the disk powers down after a while (Twonky might buffer an amout of data... ). So it takes about 1-2 seconds to power up the disk and get it to the right speed - this happens all 2-3 minutes when using the Laptop / iPhone.

The disk is a Western Digital Caviar Green 2,5TB - it's nice and quit, but for now I am only using the Kinsky on the MacMini to control the Linn.

Any ideas for me?
A Twonky setting, settings for the MacMini or even setting for the disk itself?

Regards, ducman

PS: The strange thing is - the spin down does not happen when I use the Kinsky on the MacMini.

Hi, are all devices working wirelessly or are some wired e.g. the mac mini? Have you considered network issues?
2012-10-20, 08:11 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-20 08:25 by ducatiman.)
All devices are connected via gigabit LAN - no network issues at all!
From my view it's the FW 800 attached disk, that goes into sleep mode to save energy. And I found no setting in Mac OS to control the energy save mode of external devices....

So - MacMini + FW 800 attached disk and Maik DSI connected via Gigabit LAN, PC with Kinsky connected via Gigabit LAN, iPhone connected via WLAN.

Dropouts happen when using Kinsky on PC or on iPhone.
2012-10-20, 09:09
(2012-10-20 08:11)ducatiman Wrote:  All devices are connected via gigabit LAN - no network issues at all!
From my view it's the FW 800 attached disk, that goes into sleep mode to save energy. And I found no setting in Mac OS to control the energy save mode of external devices....

So - MacMini + FW 800 attached disk and Maik DSI connected via Gigabit LAN, PC with Kinsky connected via Gigabit LAN, iPhone connected via WLAN.

Dropouts happen when using Kinsky on PC or on iPhone.

I would expect there is some WD software that came with the drive which would allow to adjust settings accordingly. Otherwise I would check their Website for some confoig software fo your device.
2012-10-20, 12:40
Hi, I've got a (different) WD disk attached to a Mac Mini using FW 800 and the sleep options are indeed accessed through the software that came with the drive.

On mine I need to open the WD Smartware Software and go to the 'settings' tab, click 'set up drive' and use the 'Sleep Timer' option. Hope this helps.
2012-10-20, 15:35 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-20 15:36 by ducatiman.)
I just browsed the manual on WD Smartware Software:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM...705057.pdf

It does support My Book and My Passport systems, but not the internal WD drives "The WD SmartWare software does not support other manufacturers’ hard drives, or WD hard drives that were not originally configured for the WD SmartWare software."

So any hint to a nice software on Mac that allow to set "Sleep Timer" is welcome. Thanks Seve Jones or Quaternion for the hints so far.
2012-10-20, 17:25
(2012-10-20 15:35)ducatiman Wrote:  I just browsed the manual on WD Smartware Software:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM...705057.pdf

It does support My Book and My Passport systems, but not the internal WD drives "The WD SmartWare software does not support other manufacturers’ hard drives, or WD hard drives that were not originally configured for the WD SmartWare software."

So any hint to a nice software on Mac that allow to set "Sleep Timer" is welcome. Thanks Seve Jones or Quaternion for the hints so far.

I thought it was an external drive? Anyway, in Windows there are advanced power settings which allow to customizes hd spin down options. Don't know Mac OS but would assume it has similar options. Look for Energy Saving Options.
2012-10-20, 17:37
i have the same drive(on linux).

There is "Setting" icon on the desktop. In fact, my Mac Os X is in Japanese, though i'm
not sure what do you sai in english. and there is energy saver icon, or something.
you will find hdd sleep option checkbox. i guess it will work for you.

but it is ecology type hdd though, the drive might sleep automaticaly, perhaps.
in this case, you might download the utility from the vendor.

i hope this might work for you.