Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-30, 18:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Instruction to Convert REL Subs B1 & G1 to/from 220V

Instruction to Convert REL Subs B1 & G1 to/from 220V
2012-10-14, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-14 16:49 by usjaz.)
Instruction to Convert REL Subs B1 & G1 to/from 220V
This instruction is for ThomasOK... I couldn't post pictures on the other Linn discussion forum. I will post it here instead. Just in case other Linnies need the similar info:

Instruction to convert REL B1 from 110/120V to 220/240V:

Remove the amp panel in the back of B1 by first removing the screws from around its perimeter. REL B1 uses Trans-Tronics 4899XH custom made Toroidal transformer. Labelled "REL 4899XH" see below. (double confirm the transformer model before proceeding just to be safe).

BTW,B1 is marketed as 500W RMS! but the transformer is actually rated 300W. Yet again, shows how misleading the wattage ratings are. Smile Obviously, it is not 500W RMS continuous...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4741]

2. The transformer has 2x120V Primary Lead ins and 2x55V Secondary Lead outs. 4 input leads (Blue,Violet,Orange,Brown) are wrapped in black wire jacket connected to the main switch. They may appears only 2 wires, strip the wire jacket to reveal the colored wire. For 110V wiring, Blue & Orange are connected to Neutral terminal, Brown &Violet connected to Hot terminal.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4742]

3) To reconnect the 2 coils in series for 240V configuration, solder Violet & Orange wire together see below: NOTE: Wrap the joint in electric tape for a proper insulation!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4743]

4) Solder Blue (Neutral) and Brown (Hot) back to their respective original terminals, and replace the rubber cup covers the back of power switch. And that's it!

5) As voltage is doubled, the current is halved, you may want to change the main fuse from 250V/6.3A, 20mm to 250V/3.15A, 20mm. I didn't replaced the fuse, but it is probably a good idea when you get a chance to do that.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4744]

Instruction to convert REL G1 from 110/120V to 220/240V:

It is easier to convert a newer G1/G2. No soldering required! This instruction is from Sumiko/REL:

To convert the G1 to 220/240 voltage, you will have to remove the amp panel by first removing the screws from around its perimeter. At the bottom of the interior of the panel is a small circuit board that connects to the IEC power supply socket. There are two clip connector terminals on this board and one should be occupied with a multi-colored wire bundle leading to the transformer. Remove this clip connector and connect it to the unoccupied terminal. Replace the amp panel and screws to secure it to the cabinet. You will also have to replace the main fuse located at the IEC power supply socket. Use a 5 amp, 1000 watt 5x20 mm fuse. It is worth mentioning that some of the wires that connect to the amp panel are quite short and you will not have much clearance between the detached panel and the cabinet. Also, the amp panel can easily damage the finish on the cabinet because of its machined edges.

Converting from 220V to 110V, revert the steps above!

Best,

-james

ThomasOK Wrote:I would definitely be interested in the conversion information. I don't currently have a B1 having sold mine in order to put the money elsewhere - and also because I thought I might go for a G1 or G2. However, I do plan to reacquire a B1 once I am a bit more flush and the opportunity presents itself as I am not thrilled with the quality of the G series. So I will want to do the conversion once I have a B1 again.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Klimax RDS/Oppo 103->Kisto->Klimax Solo/D->Klimax 350P, REL B1
Majik 6100/D->Majik 112 & 2xC104 / QNAP TS-419 II
Shunyata Hydra-α 6 + Topaz 5kV Balanced Power (on source)

4 SALE: Two Akurate 4200/D(black & Latest), Majik 140(walnut)+upgrade stand, 8x Aktiv Cards M140, 4 Pairs of Linn Silver RCAs
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-01-03, 02:33
RE: Instruction to Convert REL Subs B1 & G1 to/from 220V
James,

You wouldn't have instructions to convert a T-3 from 220VAC to 110VAC as well would you?

I assume it is as simple as removing the jumper on the transformer but would appreciate any additional feedback you might have.

Thanks,
JIA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply