Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-09-22, 23:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Hi-Fi Separates and Components v / Alternatives to Beats Solo HD for 14 yr old.

Thread Closed 
Alternatives to Beats Solo HD for 14 yr old.
2012-10-18, 21:44
Alternatives to Beats Solo HD for 14 yr old.
Evening all,
Thread title pretty much sums it up.
I keep putting him off saying they're over priced, bassy rubbish.
He had a funky pair of WESC phones, the half decent model, which won a test over a lower pair, but they broke after 15 months... poor cabling.

He's been trying a pair of Grado SR80s, which I like the sound of, but are too inefficient for ipods really. Plus the mile long heavy cable and skull punishing design ain't all that...

SO... It's birthday time and the subject of Beats surfaces again.
I admit the Solo HD is a pretty object, with a claimed improvement over the initial design in terms of sound and build.

Anyone here with spoilt, image conscious audiophile kids that have been won over by alternatives?
Over or on-ear, shortish cable, ipod friendly. Budget... £150?
Mad, I know, but cheaper than the Windows laptop he's also been dropping into tea-time conversation.
Cheers,
Rob

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
Find all posts by this user
2012-10-18, 22:07
RE: Alternatives to Beats Solo HD for 14 yr old.
Can't help you - but I can empathise with your challenge in managing teenage expectations....

My current challenge is the sound system to go with the new TV in the new family room. Do we go 5.1 with cheapies, or 2-channel with quality? Oh, and mine are now undergrad and postgrad students, so they have been taught how to make a reasoned argument.... I'm not winning. Sad
2012-10-18, 22:09
If the old headphones are broken and there is only sound in 1 ear it's quite an easy fix if that's the issue.

I know someone with a pair of B&W P3 and someone with the Grado headphones and they're very good. When I walk around school so many people have Beats and I didn't think they were worth the price. I tried out some Sennheiser headphones which I thought were rather good for around £150 and probably a lot better. The Beats are style over substance, my mate won his full size Beats and he prefers to listen to some Linn Helix's I found for his basic system and that system was a lot cheaper than the headphones would be.

When I was 15 I bought a pair of Index mark 2's, better than any pair of headphones. Never liked headphones personally and I don't think you can ever get amazing quality sound out of an ipod personally, hence why I've never spent a lot on a pair!

But to be honest if he's not that fussed about sound quality you may as well get the Beats solos, it's what he wants. Might be hard to convince him not to get Beats, I do like the design though!
2012-10-18, 22:51
Thanks for the honest replies... My only concern about the p3 is the earpad, and whether it will fly off his head. He listens to a lot of hard rock, Metallica, etc and I wonder if the bassy Beats will be too smothering of the sound.

My main system also provides TV sound and I've never had the urge to go beyond 2 channel... Realism is in the detail, not the direction it's coming from in my view.

2012-10-18, 23:35 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-18 23:49 by chimar.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhohjEPFJ0&sns=em

(Marshall Headphones for those who don't want to watch...)

For the "rock" vibe?!

(Its either going to be "nice one dad" - or .....)
2012-10-19, 07:49
At 14 he is more likely driven by the need to look cool than anything else. Beats, here in The Netherlands anyway, are to be seen everywhere because the kids think they are cool if they have a pair and everyone can see they have themCool

I have a pair of Sennheiser IE8 , comes with replaceable cable, about a dozen different size plugs to fit in the ear and a bass control setting to choose how much bass you want. To me, I thought that was cool, but then, I'm 50+ not 14.

Tell him how much you will spend on the phones, let him hear some good ones ( ie: IE8's or similar) and let him decide. He will not only appreciate the birthday present more, but also the fact that he was part of the buying process.

LP12, Ittok LVII, Benz Micro Ace S, Cirkus, Lingo 2, MDSI, A4200, Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
2012-10-19, 08:17
Good advice from colin F,Wink set the budget and take him for a boys day out and let him choose, it will be rewarding for both of you.
I bought my 21 year old daughter a pair of AKG 450 headphones when I was in Montpellier setting her up in an apartment. I got them for 69 euros, I think they were originally £120, however a new model is out the AKG451. I thought they sounded, well AkurateBig Grin I was very impressed with them and they look subtle, maybe not what he wants.... well have fun with him anyway as the years slip by all too quicklyWink

Avalon

Akurate Exakt DSM, Akurate Exaktbox 10, two Akurate 4200 power amps, klimax chakra twin(Dk), Akubarik High Gloss Rosewood speakers,nordost Tyr, ipad 2 & KazooServer Minimserver and Asset server running on a Qnap 251, backed up to remote Qnap 231. Sonos for multiroom. SPACED OUT
2012-10-19, 08:45
I 2nd B&W headphones for looks (important to teens). If only care about sound, then Sennheisers are very good and have one at every price point.

i never got beats headphones (or bose for that matter). aside from being over priced, they break if you sit on them as my 12yr old nephew can attest to...

System 1: Devialet Le Expert 220 | Audio Physic Tempo 25
System 2: Linn Majik DSM/1 | Audio Physic Step 25+
2012-10-19, 09:34 (This post was last modified: 2012-10-19 10:20 by mrco99.)
Though one, as at 14 you may have other preferences than just the sonically best.
If that Beats thing is fashionable now, your son might value that more than the quality itself.
And it can be very important at that age to socially fit in.
Just make a serious point out of not risking damage to his hearing with too heavy bass tones, as that is irreversible.

I would make it a nice outing with your son to a well sorted hifi shop where you actually have time to listen.
You can let him hear the differences for himself. Good for him to form his own opinion.
If he still chooses for the Beats HD, even for social acceptance, at least you´ve showed him there´s more than that, and that you take his matter serious.
I am sure he will appreciate it later.

In the end he´s just still a kid, so has obviously other worries than the best price/performance ratio..Wink

PS. Sorry, just noticed Colin´s post, same thought. Dutch thinking?

LP12 Keel Radikal Ekos2 Adikt | Slipsik MM phono preamp | KRDS | Sagatun Mono Preamps | Tundra Mono Poweramps | Espeks
2012-10-19, 17:28
(2012-10-19 09:34)mrco99 Wrote:  In the end he´s just still a kid, so has obviously other worries than the best price/performance ratio..Wink

Surely not, having lived under my rules for the last 13 years and 51 weeks.

This sounds like a good plan... We had a boys week out in NYC in the Spring and went to the amazing Beats Flagship Store in Soho. I think he was under the impression the visit was going to lead to purchases... Sheeesh.

Thread Closed