Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-09-01, 14:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Toddler vs Kabers

Toddler vs Kabers
2012-11-16, 02:24
Toddler vs Kabers
I have an 18 month old boy who loves music and just has to touch the speakers.

He's just the right height to push in the dust caps on the bass drivers on my Kabers. I've fixed these by pulling them gently back out with a bit of foam double sided tape. But he's at it again!

What I need is a fine mesh metal grille to cover the bass drivers. Does anyone know of something that will fit? I assume I'll need to remove the rubber trim rings.

Afromosia LP12+Lingo I, Ittok LVII, Linto, Acer Aspire One+Musical Fidelity V-Link+TeraDak U9 power supply+Numerik, Kudos, Kairn 3, 2xLK280+Spark, K600, Kabers+Ninka tweeters.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-11-16, 02:51 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-16 05:39 by grey17.)
RE: Toddler vs Kabers
(2012-11-16 02:24)chickenlogic Wrote:  I have an 18 month old boy who loves music and just has to touch the speakers.

He's just the right height to push in the dust caps on the bass drivers on my Kabers. I've fixed these by pulling them gently back out with a bit of foam double sided tape. But he's at it again!

What I need is a fine mesh metal grille to cover the bass drivers. Does anyone know of something that will fit? I assume I'll need to remove the rubber trim rings.

The Linn Tukans had a mesh cloth with an elastic gasket around the edge of the cloth. This stretched around the front of the Tukan and fit into a recessed edge around the front of the speaker. I think the Kabers had a similar mesh cloth system. The problem with this solution was the cloth tended to rip if you weren't careful. You may still be able to order this from Linn.

Congratulations on your son. Mine is three years old and also loves listening to music. I initially placed a coffee table lengthwise and other medium sized objects in front of the speakers/system. It didn't entirely block access to the speakers but did make it a bit harder for him to reach - I do leave the grills off. Over time I have taught him the speaker drivers are not play things. It is ok for him to touch the rest of the system but only if his dad is with him and gives the ok. I figure if he weren’t allowed near the system at all he would want to touch it even more. With some established rules it would take the 'forbidden fruit' aspect out of the equation. He kind of ignores them now, especially if he is boogying to music. So far no accidents Smile
2012-11-16, 09:44
(2012-11-16 02:51)grey17 Wrote:  
(2012-11-16 02:24)chickenlogic Wrote:  I have an 18 month old boy who loves music and just has to touch the speakers.

The Linn Tukans had a mesh cloth with an elastic gasket around the edge of the cloth. This stretched around the front of the Tukan and fit into a recessed edge around the front of the speaker. I think the Kabers had a similar mesh cloth system. The problem with this solution was the cloth tended to rip if you weren't careful. You may still be able to order this from Linn.

Congratulations on your son. Mine is three years old and also loves listening to music. I initially placed a coffee table lengthwise and other medium sized objects in front of the speakers/system. It didn't entirely block access to the speakers but did make it a bit harder for him to reach - I do leave the grills off. Over time I have taught him the speaker drivers are not play things. It is ok for him to touch the rest of the system but only if his dad is with him and gives the ok. I figure if he weren’t allowed near the system at all he would want to touch it even more. With some established rules it would take the 'forbidden fruit' aspect out of the equation. He kind of ignores them now, especially if he is boogying to music. So far no accidents Smile

Best answer, teach them that they can't touch. My Grandson knows he can look but not touch. We were not worried about him damaging the speaker (Linn have loads of them to sell to you) more concerned about electric damaging him!! I hope that puts it into some sort of perspective.
2012-11-16, 10:05
(2012-11-16 09:44)Scooter Wrote:  
(2012-11-16 02:51)grey17 Wrote:  

Best answer, teach them that they can't touch. My Grandson knows he can look but not touch. We were not worried about him damaging the speaker (Linn have loads of them to sell to you) more concerned about electric damaging him!! I hope that puts it into some sort of perspective.

+1!
One or two firm "no!"'s usually make my toddlers understand which things not to play with anyway.
Good luck!
2012-11-16, 10:09
you could buy some ninkas or expeks, i know its a cost but they are protected in that way.
but somehow teaching them no is best, but not always as easy as everyone thinks.

System: Majik DSM, 2 x Meridian 557, maple espeks with upgraded bases, k400, 2x silver RCA, Fujitsu Celvin 802
2012-11-16, 10:23
Contact the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

[Image: childcatcher-431x300.jpg]

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2012-11-16, 11:01 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-16 11:02 by chickenlogic.)
18 months is a bit young for him to get "no", but soon. Unfortunately his gross motor skills are excellent. The coffee table idea would allow him to climb up and reach the midranges! Perhaps something angled or harder to climb....

Afromosia LP12+Lingo I, Ittok LVII, Linto, Acer Aspire One+Musical Fidelity V-Link+TeraDak U9 power supply+Numerik, Kudos, Kairn 3, 2xLK280+Spark, K600, Kabers+Ninka tweeters.
2012-11-16, 13:17
(2012-11-16 11:01)chickenlogic Wrote:  18 months is a bit young for him to get "no", but soon. Unfortunately his gross motor skills are excellent. The coffee table idea would allow him to climb up and reach the midranges! Perhaps something angled or harder to climb....

I think at 18 months they understand no, the problems come at two when they still understand but ignore it to see who is the boss. Good luck.
2012-11-16, 13:34
(2012-11-16 11:01)chickenlogic Wrote:  18 months is a bit young for him to get "no", but soon. Unfortunately his gross motor skills are excellent. The coffee table idea would allow him to climb up and reach the midranges! Perhaps something angled or harder to climb....

The table was to slow him down to give you enough time to grab him but they can be fast Smile. I have the added advantage that my system is in a basement room that my son only goes down to attended. If your setup is in a room he can easily get to without adult supervision that is a bit harder. Along with the previous recommendations letting him know that if he touches the speakers off goes the music. He may need to get a little older (2 years or so) for the cause and effect to sink in.
2012-11-16, 13:37
Aahh the memories Smile

The only effective solution I found with my 3 toddlers was to leave the grille cloths on.

And if I ever left them off, i would almost certainly discover that the 'nipples' had subsequently received a tweak Big Grin. And it continued long after the toddler stage too. Don't know if it was sibling pressure, or my son's breast fixation Big Grin. Can't think where he might get that from Rolleyes

Good luck.

Paul