Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-01, 10:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / Lids with arm props

Lids with arm props
2012-11-17, 17:28
Lids with arm props
Hi,

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to pick up a lid, and as my plinth has the little hole for a lid prop I thought it would be nice to get a lid with the prop (otherwise i've just got a plinth with a hole in), does anybody know if they are still around or have they all been replaced and binned? there doesn't seem to be any sign of one on the usual place to look.

regards

Rich
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-11-19, 12:01 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-19 12:02 by spet0114.)
RE: Lids with arm props
Hi Rich,

It's been my experience that if you keep an eye on 'the usual place' long enough, something suitable will eventually appear. However, I suspect that by now those lids-with-props that do survive are all attached to decks. Thus, if you really want one it may involve buying a deck with one and then selling the rest of the deck on.

I sympathise with your situation - I too am on the lookout for certain early LP12 components, it's just a waiting game. Only the other day I landed the particular variant of bearing/subchassis that I'd been searching for for about 18 months. Have patience!

Cheers
Adrian
2012-11-21, 07:25
Hi Adrian,

I think you may be right, I guess it's just going to be a matter of waiting, I presume they have been out of production by Linn for a good few years but I also would have thought a lot of the older plinths would have been replaced by now leaving a stash of lids somewhere.

cheers

Rich
2012-11-21, 23:42
Get a new lid those old wobble plastic things sound rubbish.
Get a new plinth while you are at it.Cool
Mud
2012-11-22, 00:40
Mud has a good point. For one thing the LP12 is more musical with the lid removed which is a real pain with that lid and quite easy with the new one. In addition the prop lid has both the prop and the hinges rattling around when it is in place and closed so it is also not helping the sound.

The newer style hinges and lid are a better way to go all around. As I expect most prop lids were trashed, they will also be easier to find.

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2012-11-22, 01:01
I used to use my first green one as a washing up bowl in the kitchen.
It lasted many years.
Mud
2012-11-22, 09:22 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-22 09:24 by stairpost.)
(2012-11-22 00:40)ThomasOK Wrote:  Mud has a good point. For one thing the LP12 is more musical with the lid removed which is a real pain with that lid and quite easy with the new one. In addition the prop lid has both the prop and the hinges rattling around when it is in place and closed so it is also not helping the sound.

The newer style hinges and lid are a better way to go all around. As I expect most prop lids were trashed, they will also be easier to find.

That pretty sound reasoning for skipping the old style and picking up a more recent one, cheers!
(2012-11-22 01:01)Mudcrutch Wrote:  I used to use my first green one as a washing up bowl in the kitchen.
It lasted many years.
Mud

If I'm going to have to take the lid off to get the best out of my deck when I use it I could just use your idea in reverse and buy a washing up bowl to use as a dust cover Smile
2012-11-22, 20:02
(2012-11-22 09:22)stairpost Wrote:  
(2012-11-22 00:40)ThomasOK Wrote:  Mud has a good point. For one thing the LP12 is more musical with the lid removed which is a real pain with that lid and quite easy with the new one. In addition the prop lid has both the prop and the hinges rattling around when it is in place and closed so it is also not helping the sound.

That pretty sound reasoning for skipping the old style and picking up a more recent one, cheers!
(2012-11-22 01:01)Mudcrutch Wrote:  I used to use my first green one as a washing up bowl in the kitchen.
It lasted many years.
Mud

If I'm going to have to take the lid off to get the best out of my deck when I use it I could just use your idea in reverse and buy a washing up bowl to use as a dust cover Smile
Don't try a Norman rubber one.
We have a Green one and it won't fit.Wink
[Image: 900detailwashingupgreen_o.jpg]

Mud.