Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-04-24, 02:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Kairn with inverted phase and active Ninkas

Kairn with inverted phase and active Ninkas
2012-11-20, 09:52 (This post was last modified: 2012-11-20 09:53 by hifidel.)
Kairn with inverted phase and active Ninkas
Hi,

I've had a search around the forum, but couldn't find any threads for my particular question.

I've just purchased a Kairn and learned that the preamp inverts the phase. Recommendation is to change wiring at the speakers wires.

At the moment, I'm using active Ninkas. Now, this might sounds silly, but when I changed the back plates on the Ninkas during activation, the connection swapped around (when compared to the passive wiring back plate).

In other words, did the phase change already when I activated the Ninkas by using my two LK140s? Or do I have to swap phase again when I connect the Kairn?

Or are these two "black/red swaps" not connected? Bit confused now.

Regards,
M

Are you still upgrading or are you enjoying already?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-11-20, 23:16
RE: Kairn with inverted phase and active Ninkas
I would have thought the change in the back plate was to facilitate the best/shortest routes on the said back plates. I think this is the case if tri-amping active - is that what you've got? Or maybe if only bi-amping - trying to think how you could use the backplates as they can be flipped, so what is red one side may need to be black the other.

My guess is that you connect the speakers up exactly where the speakesr tell you and then swap the colours from red to black and vice versa at the power amp end - that way you fit and forget. My dealer recommended the swapping amp end bit as you're more likely to remove the speaker cables from time to time and then forget to put them back phase-inverted.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2012-11-21, 00:43
RE: Kairn with inverted phase and active Ninkas
(2012-11-20 23:16)rob29 Wrote:  I would have thought the change in the back plate was to facilitate the best/shortest routes on the said back plates. I think this is the case if tri-amping active - is that what you've got? Or maybe if only bi-amping - trying to think how you could use the backplates as they can be flipped, so what is red one side may need to be black the other.

My guess is that you connect the speakers up exactly where the speakesr tell you and then swap the colours from red to black and vice versa at the power amp end - that way you fit and forget. My dealer recommended the swapping amp end bit as you're more likely to remove the speaker cables from time to time and then forget to put them back phase-inverted.

Thanks for your response, Rob.

I'm bi-amping aktiv using the two LK140s. So swapping the loudspeaker wires around at the power amp ends sounds like the sensible way, as you say.

On the speaker side, the Ninka Aktiv back plates did swap colours around when compared with the passiv plate, which threw me a little bit.

I also wasn't sure whether the swapping of the speaker cable on one end could damage the speakers, but I guess this has been answered now. I have honestly never done that...

The Kairn will arrive in the next few days (upgrading from a late Wakonda to a late Kairn Phono), can't wait!

Thanks for the clarification.

M

Are you still upgrading or are you enjoying already?