Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-26, 20:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Portable all-in-one digital player?

Portable all-in-one digital player?
2012-12-12, 16:07
Portable all-in-one digital player?
Is there such a thing as a portable all-in-one digital player? This device (if it exists) would be a single box containing a DAC, amp and speaker(s), with either some internal storage on which audio files can be stored, or a USB or SD card slot (or similar) for media containing audio files.

It would have a convenient carrying handle and it would produce sufficient volume to fill an average-sized room. It could be either mains powered or battery powered.

This would be the digital equivalent of a portable cassette player or portable CD player (boom box).

The closest I have seen so far is an iPod speaker dock. This doesn't really meet the requirements specification because all the digital processing is done on the iPod.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2012-12-12, 21:34
RE: Portable all-in-one digital player?
B&O make might be what you are looking for.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/sou.../beolit-12
2012-12-12, 22:43 (This post was last modified: 2012-12-12 23:10 by linnrd.)
(2012-12-12 16:07)simoncn Wrote:  The closest I have seen so far is an iPod speaker dock. This doesn't really meet the requirements specification because all the digital processing is done on the iPod.
Not on the B&W Zep and A series, AFAIK.

Computer->non-regurgitated Seafood->[in flux]->Horny plastic things
2012-12-12, 23:04
(2012-12-12 21:34)abl Wrote:  B&O make might be what you are looking for.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/sou.../beolit-12

Thanks for the pointer. Unfortunately there's so little technical information about this on the B&O website that I can't easily find out what it can and can't do. For example, I don't know if I could "plug in" some music on a USB stick or SD card, and there's no information on what music formats it will play. I couldn't find a User Guide on the website, and trying to open the Quick Start guide repeatedly crashed my browser.
2012-12-13, 22:41
(2012-12-12 16:07)simoncn Wrote:  Is there such a thing as a portable all-in-one digital player? This device (if it exists) would be a single box containing a DAC, amp and speaker(s), with either some internal storage on which audio files can be stored, or a USB or SD card slot (or similar) for media containing audio files.

It would have a convenient carrying handle and it would produce sufficient volume to fill an average-sized room. It could be either mains powered or battery powered.

This would be the digital equivalent of a portable cassette player or portable CD player (boom box).

The closest I have seen so far is an iPod speaker dock. This doesn't really meet the requirements specification because all the digital processing is done on the iPod.

The B&W Zeppelin sounds absolute dreadful to my ears. With a bloated bass it delivers music with an ugly droning sound.

My super low budget recommendation would be a combination of Sangean WR 1 radio and a Cowon portable player. No to be underestimated, this combo is really able to play the tune and fill a room. I do actually prefer it to most "hi-fi" systems around...
2012-12-13, 23:19 (This post was last modified: 2012-12-13 23:27 by Briain.)
Interesting products; I'd not heard of Cowon or Sangean, until now. I'm not in the market for that sort of device, but the Cowon X7 looks to be a very useful unit for those that are. I'd be really curious to hear one as 120GB of FLAC files would potentially make it terrific music source for folks who wish to build a reasonably transportable 'holiday home' type system. In the days when I used to hire holiday cottages way up in the north of Scotland, I used a Sony Walkman Pro (cassette player; I still have it somewhere) to drive a Nytech CA253 (integrated amp) and some tatty Linn Kans (the original 80's ones). Smile
2012-12-14, 01:14 (This post was last modified: 2012-12-14 01:14 by Klingsor.)
(2012-12-13 23:19)Briain Wrote:  Interesting products; I'd not heard of Cowon or Sangean, until now. I'm not in the market for that sort of device, but the Cowon X7 looks to be a very useful unit for those that are. I'd be really curious to hear one as 120GB of FLAC files would potentially make it terrific music source for folks who wish to build a reasonably transportable 'holiday home' type system. In the days when I used to hire holiday cottages way up in the north of Scotland, I used a Sony Walkman Pro (cassette player; I still have it somewhere) to drive a Nytech CA253 (integrated amp) and some tatty Linn Kans (the original 80's ones). Smile

Ah, the famous Sony Pro Walkman. I was very fond of my Sony Quartz DD Walkman back then. Sony really was king of the portable world in the 80ies, but they very successfully worked their way downwards from there...

The Cowon players are by far the best sounding portable digital players I know of. With the Koss Porta Pro Headphones plugged in it is actually possible to enjoy listening to classical music almost everywhere.
The Sangean WR-1 at around 75 EUR got the best price/performance ratio ever for an audio component. Forget Tivoli Audio, this is the real deal. Everybody needs to have one Big Grin.

Well, enough raving for now. But these cheapo devices really deserve it.
2012-12-14, 07:47
(2012-12-13 22:41)Klingsor Wrote:  My super low budget recommendation would be a combination of Sangean WR 1 radio and a Cowon portable player. No to be underestimated, this combo is really able to play the tune and fill a room. I do actually prefer it to most "hi-fi" systems around...

Thanks for this suggestion. If I can't find an all-in-one solution, this appproach of using a digital player with a separate analogue amplifier/speakers is a reasonable alternative.

I also discovered that some Roberts radios seem to be able to do what I want. For example, the STREAM 83i can play music from the internet, from a local UPnP server (connected via wi-fi or ethernet), or from a USB memory stick. I've seen slightly varying opinions about its sound quality.
2012-12-14, 10:59
(2012-12-14 07:47)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this suggestion. If I can't find an all-in-one solution, this appproach of using a digital player with a separate analogue amplifier/speakers is a reasonable alternative.

I also discovered that some Roberts radios seem to be able to do what I want. For example, the STREAM 83i can play music from the internet, from a local UPnP server (connected via wi-fi or ethernet), or from a USB memory stick. I've seen slightly varying opinions about its sound quality.

The Roberts Stream 83i actually is a rebranded Sangean dd-43. This far-eastern company does a lot of OEM for other vendors. Unfortunately I do not know how it sounds, could sound pretty good given the pedigree of the WR-1.
But the pretty similar other models of the Sangean family, like the WR-2, do not sound as good as the WR-1 does. It might be the single gem from their range. By the way, the WR-1 is mono, but do not be concerned about that.
2012-12-15, 00:00
(2012-12-14 07:47)simoncn Wrote:  
(2012-12-13 22:41)Klingsor Wrote:  My super low budget recommendation would be a combination of Sangean WR 1 radio and a Cowon portable player. No to be underestimated, this combo is really able to play the tune and fill a room. I do actually prefer it to most "hi-fi" systems around...

Thanks for this suggestion. If I can't find an all-in-one solution, this appproach of using a digital player with a separate analogue amplifier/speakers is a reasonable alternative.

IMHO the STREAM 83i doesn't quite hack it re SQ on its own. However use the line out into a headphone amp or say a classik and speakers then it really does perform well. Sadly it doesn't have digital out. Its well worth a look if you plan on using it alone an a few occasions but have access to ancillary equipment on others. I don't know anything about WR1 - didn't realise the Roberts was badged however that makes sense as Roberts tech support don't know much about the stream 83i tech-wise.