Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-23, 16:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Replacement Karik Spindle Motor

Replacement Karik Spindle Motor
2013-01-13, 10:45 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-13 10:51 by DaveBarth.)
Sad Replacement Karik Spindle Motor
Hello Linn Friends,

I have an old Karik (s/n 45xx) that powers up just fine, but will not play. The CD does not turn at all. I double checked all of the wiring and believe that is okay, and that it needs a new spindle motor. The problem is I cannot find a replacement, anywhere! SadSad

The part number is MDN-4RA3EZAS by MATUSHITA.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=5116]

Do you think the motor is the problem? Any idea where to find one? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Primary: Karik -> Numerik -> Kairn -> LK100 x 3 -> Tri-Aktiv Keilidh's
Secondary: Karik -> Majik -> LK100 x 2 -> Aktiv Keilidh's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-01-13, 12:07
RE: Replacement Karik Spindle Motor
I think you might need to look around the usual trading websites for a Karik that has a non-functioning laser so you can create one working player from 2 broken ones.

Main Room: KDS/1; Silvers; KK/1; AK/0/D; Silvers; M5100D/C6100D/Aktiv Majik 140/Aktiv M112; Blacks C6100D/Aktiv Majik 109. P5
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT; NAD1240; NAD2155; M773e
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2013-01-13, 12:14 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-13 12:17 by Notsorich.)
Aren't Matsushita the parent company of Panasonic and Technics?
Maybe they use the same motor in their CD players and you could source one from the Panasonic service dept.

Some Stuff
2013-01-13, 12:25 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-13 12:34 by moomintroll.)
A quick Google for that part number only gives Partstore.com who list it as a JVC replacement part and out of stock, but available by special order. Although NotSoRich is correct that they are the Panasonic parent company.

'troll

Added - I would think that Darren at Class A would be the man to ask.
2013-01-13, 12:37
(2013-01-13 12:25)moomintroll Wrote:  A quick Google for that part number only gives Partstore.com who list it as a JVC replacement part and out of stock, but available by special order. Although NotSoRich is correct that they are the Panasonic parent company.

'troll

Yes JVC are also owned by Matsushita, although I think they have now been incorporated under the Panasonic banner.

Some Stuff
2013-01-13, 13:43
I will have a look at the HOP m3a mech I have at home, if it's compatible then I can give you a link to the supplier.
2013-01-15, 19:54
Hi David

Is this a new develpment?

It sounds like youre having realy bad luck with that mech...

Regards,
David

Linn Karik III- Linn AV5103 DAC- AV5103 pre- Quad 303 Net Audio- Linn Kaber (final variant) 015/3 tweeters- sweet music
2013-01-15, 20:28
Before you set about replacing the motor you should try putting power to it from an AA battery, see if it turns at all. also try and look for a voltage to the motor when loadind a disk.
It could be the IC that drives the motor or the supply to the IC that drives the motor.
2013-01-15, 22:23
Thanks guys for the support.

I did find a replacement motor, but have not yet ordered it because you are right, I could be chasing a red herring.

I have heard that if the laser is bad, then the motor will not turn. Is this true?

I have had a bit of bad luck trying to keep a Karik running. Maybe I should have got a DS, as so many have said before Sad

Anyway, I DONT want to start that debate again here, and I am not getting a DS anytime soon. So back to the problem at hand.

I replaced the laser on my first Karik, which worked perfect for about three months. Then it could not find the start of a CD. With repeated attempts (opening and closing the drawer), it would start and then run perfectly. While trying to sort the problem, I purchased a defect Karik for spare parts. I was able to get the second up and running fairly easily, and it worked great for a few months. Now, it won't play and the CD wont turn. So I am back to using the first with 20 or 30 drawer cycles to play a different CD. I now have to choose my CD's carefully SadSad

The first Karik might have a bad capacitor, and I already have parts on order.

The second Karik could be a bad motor, bad, supply or laser. I will try the 1,5v test and let you know. If it is a bad laser, I will problably not try to fix and instead keep it for spares.

Please let me know if there is anything I have missed. Thanks again for all your help.

Primary: Karik -> Numerik -> Kairn -> LK100 x 3 -> Tri-Aktiv Keilidh's
Secondary: Karik -> Majik -> LK100 x 2 -> Aktiv Keilidh's
2013-01-16, 15:29 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-16 15:34 by linnfomaniac.)
I would be looking for a voltage to the motor from the main board and checking the motor with an external supply (battery). If the supply to the motor is dead and the motor is ok then start by checking all the supply rails on the PCB, the main PSU will be fine, it will either be a local supply or the servo IC, there are two servo ICs, one for the spindle motor and the other is for the sled motor, they are SIL through hole packages and they are near to the edge of the board near the mech.

If you eventually buy another player then save your pennies and get an ikemi, you won't regret it.

You seem to be having a lot of bad luck with linn products, I really feel for you, it's not typical of linn at all.
Did you manage to fix your majik?