Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-17, 19:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Meta / Linn Website Feedback v / Linn Website Pictures

Linn Website Pictures
2013-01-17, 18:49
Linn Website Pictures
Here is a recent account I had with the Linn Website. I friend of mine, we will call 'Newbie' was interested in learning more about Linn, and possibly becoming a customer:

Newbie - "Hi Dave, your into HiFi. What system do you have?"

Me - "It is called Linn, where the components are hand assembled in Scottland."

Newbie - "Oh yeah, what do they look like?"

I reluctantly log into the website where we are greeted by the bloke in the shower picture

Newbie - "You listen to Linn in the shower?"

This issue has come up before on the forum so I am prepped with the answer,
"no, you are supposed to sing in the shower". His only reply is a dubious look. By this time a few pictures of cassette tapes flash by.

Newbie - "Linn makes tape players and boom boxes???"

Me- "No, they are just sample pictures of people enjoying music"

Newbie - "Wow! They picture other companies’ products on their website!?!"

By this time the picture of jumping fences to get into festivals is up.

Newbie - "Breaking the law to listen to music, are you sure this isn't the Nappster website??"

Me - "No, no. They are really high end."

Newbie - "I'm sure..." he says very sarcastically.

I don't want to rehash the debate about what the pictures are SUPPOSED to represent. I just wonder how many would be customers simply don't get the intended message. Besides, I am tired of the 'poke in the eye' every time I log in.

Primary: Karik -> Numerik -> Kairn -> LK100 x 3 -> Tri-Aktiv Keilidh's
Secondary: Karik -> Numerik -> Majik -> LK100 x 3 -> Tri-Aktiv Keilidh's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-01-17, 19:12 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-17 23:34 by rob29.)
RE: Linn Website Pictures
It's a clever campaign, which flatters the user. The actual gear is only a click away - often in smart settings or as white ground product shots. Making hi-fi isn't the only thing Linn do. The hi-fi is merely a tool to get to the music. I feel I have made the intelligent choice by being loyal to the brand. New users might immediately switch off if they don't like the look of the gear - if it was a product orientated website. I don't think Linn have ever made a big thing of images of the actual boxes. Just my take on it, of course.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.
2013-01-18, 00:33
I think Linn have done a reasonable job.

To me they've captured the 'sense' of memories, something that music does also.

Overall the website feels neat and tidy.

Julius.
2013-01-18, 00:36
I still think its crap.
Sorry......
2013-01-18, 09:53
(2013-01-18 00:36)pdcman Wrote:  I still think its crap.
Sorry......

+1

It took me ages to navigate my way round it. I would imagine that most people hitting the site for the first time have been brought there by a specific (rather than general) interest. ie magazine review, friends recomendation. Therefore they would be looking for a specific item. If I (having used the site several times) get confused imagine how difficuilt they must find it.

No doubt LINN have research that shows that I am totally wrong (as usual) but thats my feeling.

For great music recommendations, and more, look no further than the HiFiKabin
2013-01-18, 10:13
I think it's maybe too clever for it's own good.
If you do stumble across the home page you really don't have a clue what Linn do.
But then again I think Linn have the approach that if you didn't know what they were doing in the first place you wouldn't be looking at their website. I don't think it's used as a marketing tool, that's what dealers are for where the products can speak for themselves.
Wasn't that Ivor's origianl philosophy that still holds true today?

That said I do like some parts of the website now that I'm used to it, menus still could be arrange better to find things easier. Take linndocs for instance, I still find it easier to google it then to navigate to via the website.

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers
2013-01-18, 17:12
(2013-01-18 00:36)pdcman Wrote:  I still think its crap.
Sorry......

Don't you mean krap? Big Grin

For the record, I agree. I feel the aspirational element is missing with better higher definition images needed. I still hate the backgrounds even after a year.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus. Exakt skeptik.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-01-18, 19:24 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-18 19:26 by charlie1.)
Can I widen the topic slightly and just add that I'm getting tired of this guy hiding behind the forum pages, reading about fish. Can we have something new please.
2013-01-18, 21:32
(2013-01-18 10:13)little wong Wrote:  I think it's maybe too clever for it's own good.
If you do stumble across the home page you really don't have a clue what Linn do.
But then again I think Linn have the approach that if you didn't know what they were doing in the first place you wouldn't be looking at their website. I don't think it's used as a marketing tool, that's what dealers are for where the products can speak for themselves.
Wasn't that Ivor's origianl philosophy that still holds true today?

That said I do like some parts of the website now that I'm used to it, menus still could be arrange better to find things easier. Take linndocs for instance, I still find it easier to google it then to navigate to via the website.
If the premise is that a website is there to provide information to the person who lands there, as opposed to being a narcissistic reflection of an entity, then...how easy is it to find...say for example old manuals? Or...as pointed out above, LinnDocs? The fact that one can google it quicker is a testament to obscure design philosophy. I kinda DO like the fact that it isn't a hard-sell website, but I find it hard to use as an example of a good one.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2013-01-19, 14:19
i think if you could go back to the old site, you'd realise it wasn't all that. Certainly never made me feel that Linn were on top of it. The forum was clunky. The product info sketchy, (those naff drawings) strange groupings of product and far too much text about active and system optimisation which all looked like potential future problems. Linn is not a nerdy product with a whole host of things to get right, (think of Naim and the paranoia that system set-up conjures there with power supplies and funny leads) I see a handsome DS unit next to an iPad and a PS3 and I think, yes, I get where this is headed.

Klimax Renew DS > AK/0/D > Majik 6100 > Chakra Activ Kaber.