Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-02, 09:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / My (good) experience with Apple Time Capsule

My (good) experience with Apple Time Capsule
2013-01-20, 04:17
My (good) experience with Apple Time Capsule
Just a quick post in case this ever comes up or a fellow forum member wants to know.

I had ongoing grief getting my Renew DS to reliably connect to my home network (it would not get an IP addres from DHCP on my particular router - Fritz!Box 7390).

After much deliberation I ended up purchasing an Apple Time Capsule. The DS now works perfectly every time. No longer Russian roulette usually resulting in power cycling the DS and/or the router.

I still use a Synology DS 213+ for media serving, as the TC has no media server. In fact, separating the two is a better idea.

IMHO if you are an Apple household then the Time Capsule is a no-brainer. Setup took about 5 mins and I can mange it from any iOS device, indeed my wife can troubleshoot it easily.

So in short - yes a Time Capsule (and assumingly it's smaller brother, the AirPort Exteme) works great with a DS.

LP12 (Linto + Ekos2 + Akiva + Linto) + Unidisk 1.1 + Renew DS
5103 + 2250 x 3 -> Aktiv Espek + Klimax 345
Classik Di + 5105 -> Katan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-01-21, 00:38 (This post was last modified: 2013-01-21 00:39 by rumnyc.)
RE: My (good) experience with Apple Time Capsule
Did you know that you could enable a DHCP server on the synology as well? You could enable Time Machine backups on the synology as well.

Main: Linn Akurate DSM | McIntosh MC452 | B&W 802 Diamond | Synology DS412+
Vacation: Linn Majik DSM | Audio Physic Tempo 25 | Western Digital N900 Central
2013-01-22, 11:13
RE: My (good) experience with Apple Time Capsule
Yes, but if you enable DHCP you essentially prevent the Synology from entering standby - and thus it's power consumption is thus substantially higher. And although it does support TM, 3rd party support for TM is generally reverse-engineered and less reliably than a TC.

LP12 (Linto + Ekos2 + Akiva + Linto) + Unidisk 1.1 + Renew DS
5103 + 2250 x 3 -> Aktiv Espek + Klimax 345
Classik Di + 5105 -> Katan