Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-23, 16:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / CAN THE MAJIK PS BE USED WITH THE KEEL OR CLONE?

CAN THE MAJIK PS BE USED WITH THE KEEL OR CLONE?
2013-02-08, 19:10
CAN THE MAJIK PS BE USED WITH THE KEEL OR CLONE?
Hello all. I would like to know if the Majik power supply can be mounted properly with the Keel or one of the Keel clones. Thanks very much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-02-08, 23:26
RE: CAN THE MAJIK PS BE USED WITH THE KEEL OR CLONE?
As long as you are careful with the routing of the power cable I can see no reason why there should be a problem. You might need to change the chassis ground to the wire that comes with the Keel to assure proper freedom of the suspension but otherwise I think it should work fine.

LP12 SE Movingui • Radikal/1 • Kandid • Urika • Kremlin • LS-NAS • Akurate DS • Klimax Kontrol/2 • ATC 100As • Harmoni Mimer Rack
AV system: Pioneer BDP51 BluRay • Akurate Kontrol/0/D • 2x LK280 SPARK • 4 Isobarik DMS • LK2-75 • 2 Dahlquist DQ1W subs

www.nokturneaudio.com

Fine-tuning LP12s for over 35 years!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-02-08, 23:43
(2013-02-08 23:26)ThomasOK Wrote:  As long as you are careful with the routing of the power cable I can see no reason why there should be a problem. You might need to change the chassis ground to the wire that comes with the Keel to assure proper freedom of the suspension but otherwise I think it should work fine.

Thanks Thomas. That's good news for me. I want to get a used pre-Cirkus LP12 and put a Keel-clone on it, most likely the Green Street Audio one-piece aluminum unit, but I can't afford a Lingo. I thought the Majik PS would be a good choice. What do you think, if I may ask? I live in the USA.
2013-02-08, 23:58
It is a bit of a strange path you are taking. Certainly a Cirkus and then a Power supply upgrade (Lingo 2 or 3) would be the suggested way. But if you have reasons for your choice so be it.

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2013-02-09, 00:36
(2013-02-08 23:58)grimreaper46 Wrote:  It is a bit of a strange path you are taking. Certainly a Cirkus and then a Power supply upgrade (Lingo 2 or 3) would be the suggested way. But if you have reasons for your choice so be it.

Yes. I know. I don't really want the Cirkus bearing because I've heard a number of people say it makes the overall sound of the LP12 leaner, more analytical. I like a lush, romantic sound. I don't care if people say that it's "colored". I have been to a number of classical concerts, both orchestral and ensemble, and I hear lush and romantic-especially the strings, which are my favorite. I believe the Keel and the close duplicate clone I want to get will provide a lot of the Cirkus benefit without thinning the sound. I'd love to get a Lingo but it's simply not in my budget right now. Any thoughts you may have are welcome. Thanks.
2013-02-09, 01:12
(2013-02-09 00:36)stringlover Wrote:  
(2013-02-08 23:58)grimreaper46 Wrote:  It is a bit of a strange path you are taking. Certainly a Cirkus and then a Power supply upgrade (Lingo 2 or 3) would be the suggested way. But if you have reasons for your choice so be it.

Yes. I know. I don't really want the Cirkus bearing because I've heard a number of people say it makes the overall sound of the LP12 leaner, more analytical. I like a lush, romantic sound. I don't care if people say that it's "colored". I have been to a number of classical concerts, both orchestral and ensemble, and I hear lush and romantic-especially the strings, which are my favorite. I believe the Keel and the close duplicate clone I want to get will provide a lot of the Cirkus benefit without thinning the sound. I'd love to get a Lingo but it's simply not in my budget right now. Any thoughts you may have are welcome. Thanks.

I wouldn't take other peoples views. At least (if at all possible) listen to a Cirkus LP12. I have had both and I don't believe the Cirkus change did anything but make the LP12 sound even better without losing the "vinyl" experience.

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2013-02-09, 01:19
(2013-02-09 01:12)grimreaper46 Wrote:  
(2013-02-09 00:36)stringlover Wrote:  

I wouldn't take other peoples views. At least (if at all possible) listen to a Cirkus LP12. I have had both and I don't believe the Cirkus change did anything but make the LP12 sound even better without losing the "vinyl" experience.

I would like to audition a Cirkus LP12 but that's not possible, unfortunately. I'm crippled and can't drive or leave the house easily. I really have to depend on the opinions of others. What do you feel the differences are between the Cirkus and pre-Cirkus Sondeks?
2013-02-09, 02:31 (This post was last modified: 2013-02-09 02:37 by Cymbiosis.)
(2013-02-09 00:36)stringlover Wrote:  I like a lush, romantic sound. I don't care if people say that it's "colored". I have been to a number of classical concerts, both orchestral and ensemble, and I hear lush and romantic-especially the strings, which are my favorite. I believe the Keel and the close duplicate clone I want to get will provide a lot of the Cirkus benefit without thinning the sound.

Stringlover, you are wrong on several counts IMHO:

The Clone is not a close duplicate of the Keel, it may have a passing resemblance but very little more and if you wanted a bright and harsh sound.... This is very likely how you'll get your sound!! - I have had several clones to set up in the last few years and I didn't like them at all. John G and I have discussed this on several occasions in the past if you wish to search for the threads.

Spending, slightly less money on the Cirkus kit and having it properly fitted by someone like Thomas OK in the States is your best bet by far, as he will also check your top-plate for rattles (one of the elements which if rattling, will give you lots of hash and emphasise HF, like surface noise) By contrast the Cirkus get's you closer to the music and often users find surface noise is no longer emphasised!!! The big thing however is the fact that the Cirkus allows the LP12 to follow tunes better. Yes the bass is tighter, cleaner and more tuneful which is a good thing. A pre Cirkus will sound phat and bloomy by comparison. It's also worth considering that the youngest pre-Cirkus bearings have a minimum of 22 years use on them! Has your bearing been inspected for damage or wear. It is the most fundamental element of your LP12. So, leaner yes, cleaner yes, lacking bass - Nope, not at all, the bass is so much better.

(2013-02-09 00:36)stringlover Wrote:  I'd love to get a Lingo but it's simply not in my budget right now. Any thoughts you may have are welcome. Thanks.

If you avoid a clone and have a Cirkus as I strongly suggest, then you may have enough left in the kitty to consider a second-hand Lingo 2 rather than a new Majik PS! This again is a fantastic upgrade which if it were possible to demonstrate to you, you would appreciate why I'm suggesting it for you.

My answer completely ignores your arm/cartridge as you have not asked for advice there. - All I'll say is that I hope they are in good condition? If your cartridge/stylus is old/worn you should consider this in order to preserve your LP collection.

I hope this helps you.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com
2013-02-09, 03:18
(2013-02-09 02:31)Cymbiosis Wrote:  
(2013-02-09 00:36)stringlover Wrote:  I like a lush, romantic sound. I don't care if people say that it's "colored". I have been to a number of classical concerts, both orchestral and ensemble, and I hear lush and romantic-especially the strings, which are my favorite. I believe the Keel and the close duplicate clone I want to get will provide a lot of the Cirkus benefit without thinning the sound.

Stringlover, you are wrong on several counts IMHO:

The Clone is not a close duplicate of the Keel, it may have a passing resemblance but very little more and if you wanted a bright and harsh sound.... This is very likely how you'll get your sound!! - I have had several clones to set up in the last few years and I didn't like them at all. John G and I have discussed this on several occasions in the past if you wish to search for the threads.

Spending, slightly less money on the Cirkus kit and having it properly fitted by someone like Thomas OK in the States is your best bet by far, as he will also check your top-plate for rattles (one of the elements which if rattling, will give you lots of hash and emphasise HF, like surface noise) By contrast the Cirkus get's you closer to the music and often users find surface noise is no longer emphasised!!! The big thing however is the fact that the Cirkus allows the LP12 to follow tunes better. Yes the bass is tighter, cleaner and more tuneful which is a good thing. A pre Cirkus will sound phat and bloomy by comparison. It's also worth considering that the youngest pre-Cirkus bearings have a minimum of 22 years use on them! Has your bearing been inspected for damage or wear. It is the most fundamental element of your LP12. So, leaner yes, cleaner yes, lacking bass - Nope, not at all, the bass is so much better.

(2013-02-09 00:36)stringlover Wrote:  I'd love to get a Lingo but it's simply not in my budget right now. Any thoughts you may have are welcome. Thanks.

If you avoid a clone and have a Cirkus as I strongly suggest, then you may have enough left in the kitty to consider a second-hand Lingo 2 rather than a new Majik PS! This again is a fantastic upgrade which if it were possible to demonstrate to you, you would appreciate why I'm suggesting it for you.

My answer completely ignores your arm/cartridge as you have not asked for advice there. - All I'll say is that I hope they are in good condition? If your cartridge/stylus is old/worn you should consider this in order to preserve your LP collection.

I hope this helps you.

KR

Peter

Hi Peter. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Have you listened to an LP12 with the Green Street Audio Keel clone on it? I've heard a lot of good things about it. That's the one I would buy if I were to go that way. Although I certainly acknowledge your LP12 knowledge and experience, I'm still not sure about the Cirkus. A used Lingo may be a possibibility but they're somewhat rare here in the States. I would most likely get a new Rega RB700 arm and a new Grado Reference Master cartridge. Where does Thomas OK live or have his business?
2013-02-09, 10:00 (This post was last modified: 2013-02-09 10:11 by Cymbiosis.)
(2013-02-09 03:18)stringlover Wrote:  Hi Peter. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
1) Have you listened to an LP12 with the Green Street Audio Keel clone on it?

2) Although I certainly acknowledge your LP12 knowledge and experience, I'm still not sure about the Cirkus.

3)A used Lingo may be a possibibility but they're somewhat rare here in the States.

4)I would most likely get a new Rega RB700 arm and a new Grado Reference Master cartridge.

5) Where does Thomas OK live or have his business?

Stringlover, I have had several GS in the shop here in the last few years and you should be able to search some of my comments here and on Pink Fish Media. - Your choice, and remember that the Rubikon could be an option Thomas Ok can supply if you wish. Other contributors like Colin @ WYS&H have also commented in the past.

2) I stopped having an identical Cirkus and non Cirkus deck on demo here about 10 years ago. I don't recall anyone preferring the earlier deck and yes the bearing was in good condition. - It's your choice.

3) Lingos are easily switchable between 115v and 230v if you are buying second-hand and wish to cast your net beyond the States, but talk to your dealer first as he may be able to find one for you.

4) The RB700 is discontinued, but check out the new RB808 or Roksan Nima or a nice used Linn Ittok of course.

5) Thomas is based in Ann Arbor, M.

I hope this helps you.

KR

Peter

Fettling LP12s since 1980
Tel 01162 623754
Email - peter@cymbiosis.com
Skype - peteratcymbiosis
www.cymbiosis.com