Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-23, 14:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Long Lost Artists...welcome back.

Long Lost Artists...welcome back.
2013-02-22, 11:11
Hi

Back in the mid/late 80's I used to listen to Martin Stephenson and The Daintees early albums on cassette but my musical tastes drifted away from him and when I got my first CD player, I never got round to replacing Boat to Bolivia, Gladsome Humour and Blue and Salutation Road onto disc. I guess at the time I thought they were a bit mellow for my rock tendencies.

Jump forward 25 years. Last night I had some wallpaper stripping to be done (what a rock'n'roll lifestyle I lead). To keep me from going mad, the I-Pod was on with the earbuds blocking out the relentless noise of steam. For some reason I the name Martin Stephenson & The Daintees crept into my consciousness, don't know what made me think of it, anyway Spotify had the albums. I selected the old albums, half expecting to skip through them but with the first notes from There Comes a Time brought a big smile to my face. It was like greeting an old friend.

The hours flew by, the whole room was stripped in the evening and I must confess there was the occasional bit of bopping about to Wholly Humble Heart amongst others which probably entertained the neighbours.

Needless to say the albums are long since deleted from being available at a higher resolution than Spotify. Fortunately there is a Daintees Bandcamp page, FLAC files are downloading in the background as I type.

Anyway, it made me wonder what other artists did I grow apart from as my tastes changed but now some 25+ years later on I found I really enjoyed.

For a bit of fun I thought I would ask what is your most recently rediscovered long lost artist and what was the band and album and are there any little anecdotes about how you grew apart or how you came to the re-discovery?

Or if you don't want to post, trawl through the cobwebs of the mind...which name springs to mind that you haven't listened to for years now go and see if you can track them down this weekend...have fun!

Ian
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-02-22, 11:33
RE: Long Lost Artists...welcome back.
Good Post, Ian.

Jumping forward 40-something years (!!!) "Slade Alive!" is still a great live album, and most unlike any of the glam-rock that they got into later.

Still can't get back into Lloyd Cole and the Commotions or Martha and the Muffins, tho.

'troll
2013-02-22, 12:33
Good call Ian.
Saw the Daintees loads in the late 80's and early 90's living as I was living in Newcastle.
I remember an open air gig at what was Newcastle Poly.
My sister in Glasgow went to see him a couple of years ago.
As you say it is good to catch up.
I am googling their band camp now.

I've been doing the same with Richard Thompson. I am going to see him tonight and so have been listening to his very excellent new stuff.

I still follow Black Francis/Frank Black from the Pixes and some of his solo stuff is even better than the pixies stuff.

The other one is Bob Mould who was in Hüsker Dü his solo stuff is mellower than Husker Du and very inventive.

As I type I am listening to U2 Boy for the first time is about 20 years. It's OK! I still maintain they went downhill after Under a Blood Red Sky.

Cheers
2013-02-22, 12:46
See, you have now cost me money. Boat to Bolivia bought. And I have just bought on vinyl From From Lubbock To Clintwood East by Terry and Gerry. Who were about at the same time and still sound great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_and_Gerry
2013-02-23, 08:31
The most obvious of this is Rodriguez The Sugarman have you seen the movie

Klimax Exakt 350a SME 30 Anthem D2V
2013-02-23, 09:24
Relentless Noise of Steam what a great name for a band. Big Grin

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2013-02-23, 11:10
Stanley Clarke - School Days I bought this while on holiday in Portugal in 1976. Jazz Funk Fusion with a bit of fun brilliant album.

Three weighed ounce pure golden ring no precious stone.
2013-02-23, 13:28
(2013-02-22 11:33)moomintroll Wrote:  Good Post, Ian.

Jumping forward 40-something years (!!!) "Slade Alive!" is still a great live album, and most unlike any of the glam-rock that they got into later.

Still can't get back into Lloyd Cole and the Commotions or Martha and the Muffins, tho.

'troll
troll,
You might want to give this new album a listen.
[Image: 71A8CcZ9z2L._AA1500_.jpg]

Mud.
2013-02-24, 23:49
Ian, did you not get to see them at Oran Mor in January? I believe he now resides in Scotland but I may be mistaken. Fortunately I have all their albums on vinyl.

Colin
2013-02-25, 09:30
(2013-02-24 23:49)Kolossus Wrote:  Ian, did you not get to see them at Oran Mor in January? I believe he now resides in Scotland but I may be mistaken. Fortunately I have all their albums on vinyl.

Colin
Hi Colin,

No, I missed it. I believe he was part of the Celtic Connections Festival. I have seen him decades ago in Edinburgh but I would like to try and see him again. I'll keep an eye on his website to see if any nearby dates get announced.

Ian

Ian Wilson
Electronics Engineer
Linn Products Ltd.