Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-02, 01:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Do You Have Any Horror Stories From Buying Linn On-Line From E-Bay, Audiogon, Etc

Do You Have Any Horror Stories From Buying Linn On-Line From E-Bay, Audiogon, Etc
2013-03-23, 05:31 (This post was last modified: 2013-03-23 06:08 by Paulssurround.)
Do You Have Any Horror Stories From Buying Linn On-Line From E-Bay, Audiogon, Etc
Just wondering who has good and bad experiences buying their audio components on-line from EBay, Audiogon and the like?

I am also interested in your experiences in selling your Linn gear on EBay etc.

I tried selling some gear on an audio site but did not even gets nibble.

Akubarik Exakt, AEDSM, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), Linn Silvers, K400, OPPO 105 on Still Points
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-03-23, 08:52
RE: Do You Have Any Horror Stories From Buying Linn On-Line From E-Bay, Audiogon, Etc
I sold a kairn on pink fish, no worries at all. You need 50 posts on their forum to be allowed to sell now, so I'm buggered, even though I've sold before. I don't go there much. Seems a decent place to buy though, lots of good feedback on the members.

Linn- Majik DS-D, Lejonklou Sagatun stereo pre amp, Lejonklou Tundra stereo power amplifier, Linn Majik 109's. Linn Silvers. K400.Russ Andrews oak cone feet and torlyte rack. Stock power leads.
2013-03-23, 09:38
RE: Do You Have Any Horror Stories From Buying Linn On-Line From E-Bay, Audiogon, Etc
As I have upgraded my system over the years it has involved the need to sell my reduntant gear. Most of this has been via ebay and so far I have not had any problems. On high value items I have sold such as Komris/Solos/Twins, I have only sold via 'pick up' only and therefore been paid via cash or bank transfer. That does restrict my chances of selling, but does avoid some of the horror stories where paypal is involved. I also block all bids on ebay from Europe and the rest of the world.

One of the reasons of restricting to 'pick up' only is the problem of getting adequate insurance from any courier to cover replacement value of something like a KCTD. With ebay the seller is totally responsible for safe delivery of the item to the buyer.

I have also advertised at Lejonklou and that has had some success - and no fees involved.

PS Can anybody recommend a Courier which will give adequate insurance cover at reasonable cost - say £4500 of cover.

Main: Exakt Klimax 350, Oppo 105.

Second: Majik DSi connected to 109's in the kitchen, and Akurate 212's in the office, both driven by Tundra Stereo 1.2.
2013-03-23, 09:57 (This post was last modified: 2013-03-23 09:58 by sjm_1981.)
I attempted to buy some Wilson Benesch speakers a while back. They were advertised as mint and when I went to collect they had a number of marks that had been painted over and a large chip that had been filled in - a disaster!

I would say when buying or selling anything of value do cash on collection. Since I had not used paypal in the case of the above I was able to walk away and cancel the sale quite easily. If I had paid by paypal and the speakers had been shipped to me it would have been much harder.

When I've sold things by ebay, I usually put if payment is by 'paypal buyer pays paypal fees'. This may be against ebay policy however it discourages people from using paypal which is good since the fees can be most unreasonable!!

Klimax things into: 350p; 340A; 345 + various other bits...
2013-03-23, 10:02
Recently bought an M6100D on Ebay that turned out to be someone on this forum. No trouble at all, item was, if anything, underdescribed, it is mint in every way and I'm a finicky old git.
2013-03-23, 10:17
I've had good experiences via lejonklou and hifiwigwam. Have bought from dealers on ebay, no problem.

Have sold on ebay too with no problem, but very wary now given all the horror stories I've seen about buyers scamming and ebay not being thorough in their investigations.

Main Room: KDS/1; Silvers; AK/0 Dynamik; Silvers; M5100D/C6100D/Aktiv Majik 140/Aktiv M112; Blacks C6100D/Aktiv Majik 109. P5
Playroom: SBT; V-DAC1; Cyrus6; M773e
Garage: SBT; NAD1240; NAD2155; M773e
www.audiophilemusings.co.uk
2013-03-23, 15:37
I have no experience with selling except for a pair of KXOs for Keltiks on Lejonklou. I found a shipping company that made things easy. It used one of the big shippers (UPS, DHL) but had a lower price and made all the international paperwork easy.

I have just found these sites: Just FYI

For Canada - http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/

For US - http://www.usaudiomart.com/

No experience with either.

Not much
2013-03-23, 17:54
Re: Do You Have Any Horror Stories From Buying Linn On-Line From E-Bay, Audiogon, Etc
I have bought and sold a few things on eBay, no issues thus far. Also sold a few things on lejonklou and pfm with no issue

Music: Classe CP-800 (Rev 2)-> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds

AV: Oppo BDP-103, PS3 and Sky+HD -> Onkyo TX-NR818-> Classe CP-800 (Rev 2)-> Classe CA-2300-> B&W 802 Diamonds, B&W SCM1s & SVS PC12+ Sub
2013-03-24, 00:41 (This post was last modified: 2013-03-24 00:42 by SaltyDog.)
Ahh, I think we have missed the boat on this thread.

I know things have been a little .......well maybe in a rut-like state on the forum.

Methinks the OP was looking for stories for his entertainment, rather than advice on how to buy/sell.

I guess a train wreck thread is bound to to go off track.

Not much
2013-03-24, 03:33
(2013-03-24 00:41)SaltyDog Wrote:  Ahh, I think we have missed the boat on this thread.

I know things have been a little .......well maybe in a rut-like state on the forum.

Methinks the OP was looking for stories for his entertainment, rather than advice on how to buy/sell.

I guess a train wreck thread is bound to to go off track.

A bit of both. Advice and stories. Thanks Salty

If I trade in through the dealer, I get almost nothing, so it seems.

I have not had much luck selling my items on Canuck Audio Mart either.

Akubarik Exakt, AEDSM, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), Linn Silvers, K400, OPPO 105 on Still Points
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels