Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-31, 22:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / On the waiting list....

On the waiting list....
2013-04-04, 22:31
Rolleyes On the waiting list....
Well after the demo today at WYSAH, I have put myself on the list for a Kandid. Don't know when to expect it as the output is only 30 per month worldwide!

The Japanese gent making them is called 'Stig' (honestly!), and that's as fast as he can go. He is, apparently, teaching his daughter how to wind the coils but she is not yet ready, so the wait goes on.

Akivas were made at the same rate so nothing has changed......

C'mon Stig.....faster!

He lives on the side of a mountain in a cabin made by Linn. You couldn't make it up!

Paul.

LP12SE, Ekos SE, Kandid /Klimax Radikal / Urika / KDS-1 /K Kontrol - Mk2 / Klimax Solos-Mk2 / Akurate 242-Mk2
A/V System:- Sony S570 Blu-Ray, Onkyo TX-SR875, Linn Komponent Speakers.
Upstairs:- Nakamichi DR2, Exposure VII Dual, 2x VI, IV single, MS10s.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-04-04, 23:11
RE: On the waiting list....
So - how did it sound?

Naim 552/500 into Kudos Titans
Cymbiosis LP12/Harban/Keel/Khan/Radikal/Urika/SarumTA/Aro/Kandid
KDS/1-SarumTA
2013-04-05, 00:30
(2013-04-04 23:11)glevethan Wrote:  So - how did it sound?

Difficult to explain without lapsing into hifi speak, but just more believable, musical, realistic and focused. More enjoyable is the bottom line...I just wanted to play more tracks, listen to more music. It didn't seem to matter what sort either, and we tried most!

As someone said, when listening to the improved bases for the 242s, "it makes the old ones sound broken". That sums up the Kandid compared to the Akiva which I have now.

You will have to listen for yourself, no description from me will do it justice....

Paul.

LP12SE, Ekos SE, Kandid /Klimax Radikal / Urika / KDS-1 /K Kontrol - Mk2 / Klimax Solos-Mk2 / Akurate 242-Mk2
A/V System:- Sony S570 Blu-Ray, Onkyo TX-SR875, Linn Komponent Speakers.
Upstairs:- Nakamichi DR2, Exposure VII Dual, 2x VI, IV single, MS10s.
2013-04-05, 00:35 (This post was last modified: 2013-04-05 00:45 by mudcrutch.)
It should be called a Clarkson Kando if the Stig is building it [Image: 1024yd4.jpg]
Big Grin
We should also have the man with the reasonably priced Turntable to test it??Cool
Mud.
2013-04-05, 08:13
It was a great evening at WYS&H- thanks to Colin and Linn for an informative and ear opening experience.
I particularly enjoyed handling the bare metal 'backbone' of the Kandid...or 'precious thing' as it was called!
There were also evolution/development cartridge examples- one of which was a naked Arkiva with a plastic front screw (a la Kandid)
I agree with Paul- you need to hear it for yourself....for me, better definition- of the sound/notes/texture/tune, but also the acoustic space around the instruments and voices. Harmonies could be heard separately, without losing the ....harmony!
A track by Elvis Costello was played- on the Arkiva I wanted it to end (I am not a Costello fan)....on the Kandid, I was happy to listen and when the track stopped, I was disappointed that we did not hear more!
There were 2 results from the evening;
1- I went home with an enthusiasm to play records all evening!
2- Confirmed my trust in putting down a deposit last week.

Form an orderly queue people and enjoy what you currently have, while you wait for your new Kandid.

A Linn system that I am proud of
2013-04-05, 12:07
Akiva with a plastic from screw, now that sounds to be an interesting Tweak and would cut down the waiting list a bit? The next item would be making the Kandid stylus protector available for you naked fans out there.

I wonder how much a kit of them both would cost, one zero, two zeros or three? No offence meant to the Japanese air-force by the way
2013-04-05, 12:54
(2013-04-04 22:31)paultje Wrote:  Well after the demo today at WYSAH, I have put myself on the list for a Kandid. Don't know when to expect it as the output is only 30 per month

Paul.

I heard December now being quoted earlier in the week!

'troll
2013-04-05, 13:44 (This post was last modified: 2013-04-05 13:46 by TDickson.)
(2013-04-05 12:07)Brian Wilson Wrote:  Akiva with a plastic from screw, now that sounds to be an interesting Tweak and would cut down the waiting list a bit? The next item would be making the Kandid stylus protector available for you naked fans out there.

I wonder how much a kit of them both would cost, one zero, two zeros or three? No offence meant to the Japanese air-force by the way

The stylus guard would not work on a naked Akiva as the "lands" have been extended on Kandid to allow the tongue of the guard to be inserted.

(2013-04-05 12:54)moomintroll Wrote:  
(2013-04-04 22:31)paultje Wrote:  Well after the demo today at WYSAH, I have put myself on the list for a Kandid. Don't know when to expect it as the output is only 30 per month

Paul.

I heard December now being quoted earlier in the week!

'troll

Surely some common sense should prevail and Kandid should be offered strickly in terms of the age of your old Akiva, mine being 9.5 years old Big Grin
2013-04-05, 14:08
(2013-04-04 22:31)paultje Wrote:  Well after the demo today at WYSAH, I have put myself on the list for a Kandid. Don't know when to expect it as the output is only 30 per month worldwide!

The Japanese gent making them is called 'Stig' (honestly!), and that's as fast as he can go. He is, apparently, teaching his daughter how to wind the coils but she is not yet ready, so the wait goes on.

Akivas were made at the same rate so nothing has changed......

C'mon Stig.....faster!

He lives on the side of a mountain in a cabin made by Linn. You couldn't make it up!

Paul.

That will be Stig Bjorge, Norwegian parter of Jonathan Carr at Lyra.

Fidelity UA4 alumnus
2013-04-05, 14:55 (This post was last modified: 2013-04-05 14:55 by Rille.)
(2013-04-05 00:30)paultje Wrote:  
(2013-04-04 23:11)glevethan Wrote:  So - how did it sound?

Difficult to explain without lapsing into hifi speak, but just more believable, musical, realistic and focused. More enjoyable is the bottom line...I just wanted to play more tracks, listen to more music. It didn't seem to matter what sort either, and we tried most!

+1

I heard it on Wednesday. If I would discribe it in a pithy (?) way the Akiva plays music very close to live music, the Kandid plays it better than live. Hifi becomes so unimportant.