Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-22, 12:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Keltik - Potential Upgrade

Keltik - Potential Upgrade
2013-04-04, 22:37 (This post was last modified: 2013-05-03 12:38 by Marcos.)
Keltik - Potential Upgrade
Considering the cost of the Keltiks and ancilliary equipment, I'm somewhat disappointed that Linn chose to fit a pair of relatively low cost tweeters into a speaker (flagship model at the time) that cost £6k new, despite reservations from their engineer at the time (whilst at the same time I also appreciate that Linn was getting more commercial and required just in time sources for their components). Whilst I do get a very good performance indeed, I've always suspected that potential performance is held back as a result of the SPKR 015/3 HF's not being as good as they should be for a flagship model. I've always liked the sound of the Kans, with the glorious detailed midband, sense of space and forward presence. Out of curiosity I tried listening to the Keltiks without the two bass units running (2 power amps switched off), and it reminded me a bit of the Kan with my ancillary equipment, and I suspect a somewhat restricted sound by having the two sizeable bass units switched off AND the SPKR 015/3 not being up to scratch. I am currently expecting delivery of OW1-92 to replace SPKR 015/3. My Keltiks are driven with 4 Klouts, a Kairn and a Sondek. I'm expecting the sound of a Kan with more deft, power and lower frequency control and response, if I get these sorts of results then I'll be delighted to have unlocked the potential. I'll post an update onto this thread with my actual findings once they are installed in the near future.

If anyone has tried this potential upgrade on a similar setup, then i would like to hear from you

03/05/13 - Update - I have received the OWI-92, as suggested by Oskar. The settings (tuned) on my cards are 5 dip switches on, which means that I have a +1.5 db or -2.5db against the SPKR 015/3 tweeter that is currently installed. I've also got a new pair of SPKR 038/2 'Ninka' tweeters. I'm expecting to do a tune dem by first wiring the SPKR 038/2 and then the OWI both secured outside the Keltik, and compare these against the installed unit. Fortunately, I've got some spare equivalent lengths of K400 speaker wire, so that I don't have to butcher the existing cabling installation! I'll then proceed to install the winning tweeter, which will be down to my ears with input from a couple of other people... that know very little about this sort of thing. I hope to do the installation in the next couple of weeks, and will post the results of all three tweeters.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-04-04, 23:33
RE: Keltik - Potential Upgrade
I'd be very interested to hear of your findings as I have the 015/5s in my Keltiks and the same generation of amplifier.

I'm looking to get either the OW1-92 or OW2-92. How much are they a pair?

I tried the ninka tweeters in Keltiks and switched back to my ceramics, they didn't suit the Keltiks as well with my LK100s. I've heard good things about the OW1-92 and I'll probably order a set. Does anyone have any experience with these tweeters in Keltiks compared with the older ceramic units?

Home: Squeezebox Touch - Unidisk SC - 1x AV5105 & 3x LK100 - Keltiks with K400 & Blacks - Wharfedale SW250 - Rotel amps - Rears & Centrik MK1

University: Creative sound card - Rotel RA971 - Linn Katans & Wharfedale sub
2013-04-05, 00:23
(2013-04-04 22:37)Marcos Wrote:  Considering the cost of the Keltiks and ancilliary equipment, I'm somewhat disappointed that Linn chose to fit a pair of relatively low cost tweeters.

I'm expecting the sound of a Kan with more deft, power and lower frequency control and response, if I get these sorts of results then I'll be delighted to have unlocked the potential.

Prepare to be further disappointed........
2013-04-05, 06:17
(2013-04-04 23:33)mjsut Wrote:  I'd be very interested to hear of your findings as I have the 015/5s in my Keltiks and the same generation of amplifier.

I tried the ninka tweeters in Keltiks and switched back to my ceramics, they didn't suit the Keltiks as well with my LK100s. I've heard good things about the OW1-92 and I'll probably order a set. Does anyone have any experience with these tweeters in Keltiks compared with the older ceramic units?

The hiquophon units are better, more detailed, accurate but are also more sensitive. You will need to trim down the treble on your mono cards. There's quite a number of threads on keltik upgrades on the forum now - do a search for "keltik".

Let us know what you think when you get them installedSmile
2013-04-05, 10:08 (This post was last modified: 2013-04-05 10:10 by Marcos.)
(2013-04-05 06:17)finster Wrote:  
(2013-04-04 23:33)mjsut Wrote:  I'd be very interested to hear of your findings as I have the 015/5s in my Keltiks and the same generation of amplifier.

The hiquophon units are better, more detailed, accurate but are also more sensitive. You will need to trim down the treble on your mono cards. There's quite a number of threads on keltik upgrades on the forum now - do a search for "keltik".

Hi the OWI-92 are apparently more suitable with sensitivity at 87db, theoretically the card adjustments should be minimal, although I will confirm this. The OWI-92 is more sensitive by 3db, so you're more likely to run out of adjustment levels on the cards, specially if you've got hard floors and minimalist furnishings etc

(2013-04-05 00:23)pdcman Wrote:  
(2013-04-04 22:37)Marcos Wrote:  Considering the cost of the Keltiks and ancilliary equipment, I'm somewhat disappointed that Linn chose to fit a pair of relatively low cost tweeters.

I'm expecting the sound of a Kan with more deft, power and lower frequency control and response, if I get these sorts of results then I'll be delighted to have unlocked the potential.

Prepare to be further disappointed........

Please make your one line statement more helpful, in terms of providing details of what your experiences have been to suggest this
2013-04-05, 10:14
(2013-04-05 06:17)finster Wrote:  

I will provide a detailed statement as to what my experiences are from the work carried out, treble adjustments etc, and more importantly what the results are be it positive or negative, unbiased and subjective
2013-04-05, 20:27
I too used to have Kans, awesome little speakers....
Fascinated to know how you get on....

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8