Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-08-27, 22:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Off-topic v / BT Infinity Fibre Optic Broadband ?

BT Infinity Fibre Optic Broadband ?
2013-04-05, 02:32
BT Infinity Fibre Optic Broadband ?
BT offered this to me a couple of weeks ago for FREE.
So as it was free i had it installed on Wednesday.
Wow i thought i was fast before?
I have a new double wall socket and a white modem box.
Things were much faster for a few hours.
Its back to normal speed now though.
Has anyone had the same??
Mud.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-04-05, 12:19
RE: BT Infinity Fibre Optic Broadband ?
Mine was fitted a month or so ago. It was very fast at first, then dropped down, then went back up. Apparently it takes ten days to settle down.

Mick

Source 1:- LP12-Radikal-Keel-Ekos II-Akiva-Urika
Source 2:- KDS/1-iPad Air-Kinsky-Asset
System:- KK/1/D-KCT/D-Espeks
2013-04-05, 13:34
I had Infinity installed about 9 months ago. Downloads at the start were 72Mb, but a much slower (!!) 64 Mb now (just checked).

Meridian G06, Linn Exotik, Linn M6100 Dynamik, Linn Kaber passive (fitted Hiquphon OW1-92 high frequency units).
2013-04-05, 14:19
(2013-04-05 02:32)Mudcrutch Wrote:  BT offered this to me a couple of weeks ago for FREE.
So as it was free i had it installed on Wednesday.
Wow i thought i was fast before?
I have a new double wall socket and a white modem box.
Things were much faster for a few hours.
Its back to normal speed now though.
Has anyone had the same??
Mud.

I must say i did notice lots more posts from you earlier this week? Wink
2013-04-05, 14:21 (This post was last modified: 2013-04-05 14:28 by charlie1.)
The underlying service is owned by Openreach and called FTTC (Fibre-to-the-cabinet). Whilst it utilises fibre from the local exchange to your nearest roadside comms cabinet, the service still uses old telephone lines (usually copper) to deliver the service from the roadside cabinet into your home.

The quality of the telephone lines vary and this impacts the maximum throughput you can attain, although the impact is much less than ADSL (i.e. Broadband), because the length of phone line is much reduced - i.e. it only runs from your home to the nearest roadside cabinet, not all the way to your local exchange, which could be a few miles away.

Like ADSL, there is a period of several days whilst the service determines the most stable speed to use across the copper pair. So, the service might start off tying to use the maximum 80Mbps, but then drop down and back up a few times as it slowly hones in on the most stable throughput.

If the throughput has dropped off a lot, after 10 days, then you could ask BT to revisit and move across to a spare copper pair, if there are any, in the hope that they will offer a better result. Sometimes there are old junction boxes left in the ground that weaken the signal, but sometimes they can't do anything about that.
2013-04-06, 08:33
I intend to switch over later in the summer but as I will be switching ISP it needs a little planning. I have set up a Hotmail account to help switch and have started giving that E mail out as my address. I have a few flights, hotels, etc booked on my Virgin E mail account so once they have been used I intend to switch over to BT. I phoned my ISP for the number I need to do the switch and they dropped my monthly payment from £22 to £14 until June. A friend of mine installs it and says it is so much faster. The optic junction box is about 200 yards from my home and that stretch is the slowing down point but that is not too far. My neighbour has it and says he wouldn't go back so looking forward to the switch.
2013-04-06, 09:19
I certainly wouldn't go back, Infinity is brilliant.

Meridian G06, Linn Exotik, Linn M6100 Dynamik, Linn Kaber passive (fitted Hiquphon OW1-92 high frequency units).
2013-04-06, 13:35
Can't get Infinity yet - I gave up waiting and went with Virgin a year ago. Pretty happy with my 120Mb, but it has been a bit spotty of late.

Rega RP6/Exact, Simaudio Moon 180D MiND, Devialet 170, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, Audiovector Zero speaker cable, Hutter Racktime.
2013-04-07, 07:49
Phew.....
Just did a quick check on my line :-
Download is 1.92 mb
Upload is 0.9 mb

But here's the rub, I don't pay for the line my company does under an old agreement
And I'm loathed to ask the question, just in case the answer is ' Ohhh you shouldn't have that facility ' Rolleyes

My question is, what am I missing here, as I don't really feel I need the extra speed, everything I ever need runs at a speed that is more than fine.
Is there something out there I simply miss / not aware of ?
I don't download films, I rarely download music ( I prefer to rip from CD )

LP12, Renew, KK in Black, Tunebox full of cards, LK140 X3, Klout on the Mid, Keltiks, lots of Silver Linn Cables, thick grey expensive cable under the floor boards AKA K600.
And a lot of Dummies books on IPads, Home networks and Windows 8
2013-04-07, 10:15
If everything loads at a decent speed for you, then its fine for you. We are on Virgins 30 meg service and as we don't stream films at all, only occasionally use the iPlayer and hardly ever download music its more than good enough.

[Image: 2628786227.png]

Using the Virgin Superhub wirelessly through 4 solid block walls.

For great music recommendations, and more, look no further than the HiFiKabin