Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-11-21, 18:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / My Linn 25th Anniversary

My Linn 25th Anniversary
2013-05-14, 14:42 (This post was last modified: 2013-05-14 18:08 by fuller.)
My Linn 25th Anniversary
Well this week marks my 25th anniversary of owning Linn hi-fi. My first purchase was this week in May 1988 and was a Linn Axis turntable bought from Audio Excellence Gloucester (now gone) and cost the princely sum of £345.00.
Upgraded to a LP12 the following year (cost £579.00) and the years since have seen Ittok/Ekos/Lingo/K9/Troika/Arkiv/Adikt, Intek/LK1/Dirak/Kairn/LK280/Spark/Klout, Helix/Kabers, and Karik/Numerik in my system.
Now using the LP12 and Kabers with Akurate CD, Kontrol and 2200 power amp, and sounding great too.
It has been a fun and entertaining 25 years, with hardly any problems glad to say.
Wonder where I and we will be in Linn land in 25 years time ? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-05-14, 14:56
RE: My Linn 25th Anniversary
25 years for me too. I too also used Audio Excellence in Gloucester to demo gear, but eventually used what is now Audio T in Cheltenham for Linn products (no longer a Linn dealer - Naim)

Naim mains cables via dealer made Hydra style crimped wall strip ♫ ♫ - KDS/1/D - KK/1/D - Klimax Crossovers -
6 prs Silvers - 2 x 4200/D - Keltiks.
Klimax units and 4200s in gorgeous BLACK Smile
2013-05-14, 14:56
Congratulations! I think my LP12 ownership started a little before that, maybe 1985 I think. I was wholly Linn by around 1988 and have generally stayed that way since, though I recently bought some used non Linn speakers as an experiment for 12 months.

The LP12 and DS have really been the things I enjoy the most though, perhaps the 'briks as well. They were (are!!) entertaining.
2013-05-14, 21:05
Congratulation to your 25th Linn anniversary !!
This is my first Post in the Linn Forum and I relative new in the Linn Community but a old guy :-). I follow Linn when I was younger, I was a Student and liked good Audio Equipment but I did not have enough money to buy expensive HighEnd Equipment. So I bought a Cyrus Amp, Cyrus Mission Loudspeaker and a Thorens TD147. Then I had the normal interruption …. A Family and few Kids and with this I changed my Audio behavior and move over to B&O, for a long time … with BeoLabs 5 and 9, BeoVision 9 and a lot of other staff. The User Experience and Video as a Main Media, B&O was a perfect fit for us. The other passion was Apple, my first Apple was a Apple 2 in 1979 and I bought my first Mac 1994. When Apple start with iTunes, I move my complete CD Musik Library over to iTunes, I was so convinced from the User experience and forgot for years the Music Quality,
Now the Kids leave our home and I start my old audio love again. My First Part was to reactivate my old Thorens (with a new Cartridge from Ortofon and some maintenance) and my old LP Library . I connect my Turntable with a good Phone PreAmp (Lehmann Audio) and the BeoSystem 3, i would say the result is OK ;-). But over the last Month, i dived deeper and deeper in my old passion. Now I will first replace my Thorens with the Sondek LP12, then later this Year connect the BeoSystem 3 (it is a kind of AV Reciver) with Linn Akurate DSM, use the Beolab 9 as Rear Loudspeaker and buy new Front Loudspeaker from Linn (hopefully the new Akubarik Speaker).
This is my plan … and maybe in 25 Year I could celebrate my own 25th Linn anniversary.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Thomas
2013-05-14, 21:56 (This post was last modified: 2013-05-14 22:04 by charlie1.)
Nice topic and posts. My first LP12 (and turntable) was bought about the same time as fuller, from Uxbridge Audio. I was the proud owner of an LP12/Akito/K9 with walnut plinth. Can't recall for sure the name of the guy that did the dem (Andrew perhaps) but he was really good and not pushy at all. He was quite young, although still older than me. I'd already done a couple of pre/power dems before hearing the LP12, so it was probably three dems before they got any sale out of me. He and another chap came out to my folks place to install it once winter's night and did a good job there too. Long time ago now though.
2013-05-14, 22:09
Welcome Thomas.

1980 for me. My first LP12 of 3.

Flat

KR
The Flatearther
An Orange coloured Dansette powered by Dynamik from a Supercap.
2013-05-14, 23:25
Yes it was an interesting time in the late 1980's to be buying hi-fi, what with the cd explosion and new products forever appearing.

Lots of us had grown up with great music in the 60's, 70's and 80's, we were now in our mid/late 20's and because of the economic boom back then we had a few extra quid in our pockets to buy some great hi-fi after drooling for many years.

Some of you may well recall that Linn often had two price increases per year back then but sales were still buoyant.

It was a great time for me anyway, a real adventure.
2013-05-15, 10:44
(2013-05-14 14:42)fuller Wrote:  Well this week marks my 25th anniversary of owning Linn hi-fi. My first purchase was this week in May 1988 and was a Linn Axis turntable bought from Audio Excellence Gloucester (now gone) and cost the princely sum of £345.00.
Upgraded to a LP12 the following year (cost £579.00) and the years since have seen Ittok/Ekos/Lingo/K9/Troika/Arkiv/Adikt, Intek/LK1/Dirak/Kairn/LK280/Spark/Klout, Helix/Kabers, and Karik/Numerik in my system.
Now using the LP12 and Kabers with Akurate CD, Kontrol and 2200 power amp, and sounding great too.
It has been a fun and entertaining 25 years, with hardly any problems glad to say.
Wonder where I and we will be in Linn land in 25 years time ? Smile
I too used Audio Exellence to upgrade my early LP12 to Vallhalla with an AT oc5 on my early Ittok. I am just about to get a newer pre-owned LP12 from Cymbiosis with the Cirkus upgrade, and fit a Hercules (for 45 rpm) and my Ittok, but with a Dynavector DV20X2L, all at the beginning of June. My appetite has been whetted since last summer when I got second hand Kelidhs and two LK140s to add to my Classik Music. Not aktiv yet.

It never stops does it Smile
2013-05-15, 13:08
1986 for me. First pay packet, lp12 , bought from a mate with linn connections. its still with me with a few tweaks and a new Klyde a couple of years back. Just opened the gates of financial oblivion with my first upgrade for years, Exotic, + da,dynamik. Others will have to follow until bankruptcy!. Damn you Ivor. :-)
2013-05-16, 20:49
1986 for me. Replaced a Sony direct drive. Went to Uxbridge Audio to dem a Michell Gyrodec and after that dem they said 'have a listen to this'...and the rest is history.

Mind you, not much left of the original deck now - outer platter, dust cover, not much else Rolleyes

LP12 + Akurate stuff.