Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-23, 17:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Linn DS v / Majik DS-I upgrade to Akurate DSM

Majik DS-I upgrade to Akurate DSM
2013-06-23, 08:10
Greetings all,

I just thought I would ask if anyone has went through the experience of upgrading from a Majik DS-I to an Akurate DSM. I am looking to make the move to a Akurate DSM from a Majik DS-I in the immediate future.

I currently have two Majik DS-I's and I am looking at selling one of my DS-I's to help finance the purchase of an Akurate DSM. In my main system I added an Akurate 2200 dynamik (older version) over a year ago.

Previously I was using a Linn AV5105 with the Majik DS-I to drive 2 pairs of patio speakers and the internal amp to drive my main system. I now am using the internal amp of the DS-I to drive a pair of bookshelf speakers in another room as well as a receiver which now powers the 2 pairs of patio speakers and the Akurate 2200 drives my main speakers.

I am in a good position with the Akurate 2200 in place to now add a Akurate DSM, however, I will loose the functionality of the internal amp which I was using to drive a pair of bookshelf speakers in another room. I guess I could add another inexpensive receiver to power the pair of bookshelf speakers, but, I will not be using "Linn" amplification, however, I will gain by having a better source with the Akurate DSM.

Just wondering if anyone can let me know how much of an improvement I will get with my main system by replacing the Majik DS-I for the Akurate DSM. This is my main listening area, however, I also have my system connected to my entertainment system which includes a PS3, digital cable PVR, 60" Panasonic plasma as well as a Thorens TD 145 turntable. My Thorens is currently setup with a MM cartridge and the MM phono stage is standard with the Majik DS-I. From what I understand the Akurate DSM has a better phono stage and comes standard with the MC phono stage, however, the card can be simply rotated to accommodate a MM cartridge.

Again, if anyone would like to comment on the improvement from moving from a Majik DS-I to an Akurate DSM with a Akurate 2200 dynamiked that would be greatly appreciated. I am planning to move my Majik DS-I in my main system to my bedroom system where my other Majik DS-I currently resides.

Cheers,
Big Z
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-06-23, 10:55
RE: Majik DS-I upgrade to Akurate DSM
IMHO, the upgrade to the A-DSM is not worth it in some respects. If I were in your position, I would consider holding off until the piggy bank were full and then moving straight to a K-DSM. The M-DSi and the A-DSM are both compromises, albeit with the M-DSi at a rather bearable financial outlay, which makes it worth a poke. The A-DSM, imho, is a 'tweener and I can't see myself settling for it, hence the comment earlier. YMMV, as always.

Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff
2013-06-23, 12:38
I was pondering an upgrade like that myself here: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=23233

I've more or less decided for an ADSM. A KDSM would be an improvement, obviously, but moneywise they're hardly on the same planet.

KDSM - Solos - Akubarik/p
ADSM - KCT - A212 - A226
MDSI - M109
------------------------
Surplus to requirements: Akurate 2200
2013-06-23, 12:52
(2013-06-23 10:55)linnrd Wrote:  IMHO, the upgrade to the A-DSM is not worth it in some respects. If I were in your position, I would consider holding off until the piggy bank were full and then moving straight to a K-DSM. The M-DSi and the A-DSM are both compromises, albeit with the M-DSi at a rather bearable financial outlay, which makes it worth a poke. The A-DSM, imho, is a 'tweener and I can't see myself settling for it, hence the comment earlier. YMMV, as always.

As somebody who's been thinking about this for a little while now, I've been wondering about this. I've auditioned a 2200 to add to my MDSi, but haven't bought one. The bass was fuller and more resonant, sharp notes sharper, but it was the same "sound", if that makes sense.

Does this sound like your experience of adding the 2200 to your MDSi, Bigz? Also, did you ever bi-amp them at any stage, using the MDSi's power amp for the tweeters? I was looking at adding a 2200 and an ADSM later, but of course, doing that would eliminate the ability to bi-amp.

Linnrd, I recently listened to a full Akurate setup. ADSM/2200/242s passive. Yes there was more presence, but who knows what part of the setup provided this. When I first started listening, it sounded only marginally better than my MDSi and Ninkas at home, and I mean marginally.

When I was playing studio master tracks from Artur Pizarro of Chopin pieces, and there was almost no difference whatsoever. It wasn't until I played some Karen Carpenter when her vocals sounded more "present", but again, only slightly so. In a silent room, the MDSi does a very nice job of revealing the sound of her voice, even down to the last little breath, and remember Richard Carpenter was a producer with ridiculous attention to detail, so these are good reference tracks to use.

Oh, that was my long winded way of agreeing with you, Linnrd Smile. There's also the "what next" factor like you said. Once you have an ADSM, you're bound to say "hmmmmm, I wonder what that KDSM sounds like ...". Where does it end?

Here, the current equivalent of my setup costs $ 9,000.

The ADSM + 2200 + 242s cost $ 28,000 (and thats with the 242s on clearance special).

With the improved sound, my ears say that the added sonic benefits are worth $ 1,800 more (for the 20% improvement - and that's being generous). That's $ 17,200 difference between the cost of the two setups. I haven't added them up, but I wonder if that's more than the cost of the entire Linn Music catalogue.

"The happy man is the one who wants what he has."

Lounge - Majik DS-i, Ninkas (Fronts), Trikan (Centre), Uniks (Rear), Jensen Active Sub-Woofer, Oppo 95, K400 (Fronts), K20 (Centre/Rear), Skeets, Cat7 Ethernet Cable.

Bedroom - Sneaky DS, Katans, K400, Skeets, Cat7 Ethernet Cable
2013-06-23, 20:28
(2013-06-23 12:38)Lunch Wrote:  I was pondering an upgrade like that myself here: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=23233

I've more or less decided for an ADSM. A KDSM would be an improvement, obviously, but moneywise they're hardly on the same planet.

A year ago I upgraded my system. The first step was to compare an MDSI to an ADS. I did the comparison on my system and switching between them was easy. On the first day I did the standard AB test switching between them and could hear no difference. The next day I listened to entire selections and the difference was astounding. I could no longer listen to the MDSI and in fact did not listen to streaming music until I got my ADSM.

I was getting ready to upgrade my whole system to active 242s and getting a new amplifier. I checked with my audio pusher to see about the possibility of going to a KDS and it was his opinion that my whole system would need a further upgrade to hear the difference.

When I switch from my LP12 to streaming music I can tell the difference. After a minute or so I am not aware of the difference and just enjoy the streaming music. The difference is forgotten.

Only you can determine whether the difference is worth the cost but the ADSM is a fine piece of equipment on its own.

Incidentally I no longer test by switching between short selections. For me the only way to test is in the quiet of my home over a few days.

Ernie Fisch
2013-06-23, 20:44
(2013-06-23 20:28)ernfisch Wrote:  
(2013-06-23 12:38)Lunch Wrote:  I was pondering an upgrade like that myself here: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=23233

A year ago I upgraded my system. The first step was to compare an MDSI to an ADS. I did the comparison on my system and switching between them was easy. On the first day I did the standard AB test switching between them and could hear no difference. The next day I listened to entire selections and the difference was astounding. I could no longer listen to the MDSI and in fact did not listen to streaming music until I got my ADSM.

I was getting ready to upgrade my whole system to active 242s and getting a new amplifier. I checked with my audio pusher to see about the possibility of going to a KDS and it was his opinion that my whole system would need a further upgrade to hear the difference.

When I switch from my LP12 to streaming music I can tell the difference. After a minute or so I am not aware of the difference and just enjoy the streaming music. The difference is forgotten.

Only you can determine whether the difference is worth the cost but the ADSM is a fine piece of equipment on its own.

Incidentally I no longer test by switching between short selections. For me the only way to test is in the quiet of my home over a few days.

So you really took the source first notion seriously by staying with the Majik power amps and only upgrading the streamer? I've been offered free Activ cards if I buy a 6100, which would tri-amp my Ninkas nicely. I objected because I thought that would limit me to only ever having a Majik as source, since I thought an Akurate source would need an Akurate power amp to really make it work. What are your thoughts on this? Sticking with Majik amps might be a more sensible way for me to go. (Sorry to hijak the original poster, but this seems to be a common upgrade, so threads like these are good for everyone.)

Lounge - Majik DS-i, Ninkas (Fronts), Trikan (Centre), Uniks (Rear), Jensen Active Sub-Woofer, Oppo 95, K400 (Fronts), K20 (Centre/Rear), Skeets, Cat7 Ethernet Cable.

Bedroom - Sneaky DS, Katans, K400, Skeets, Cat7 Ethernet Cable
2013-06-24, 05:33
Thanks for your input on upgrading one of my Majik DS-I's to an Akurate DSM. I see your point of the A-DSM being a "tweener", however, I don't really see that I would ever spend the money on a K-DSM anyway. With that in mind and the fact that it would cost me just under $3000 to upgrade to the A-DSM plus the proceeds from selling a M-DSI, do you think I am still better to hang onto both my Majik DS-I's? I really do like all the flexibility that I currently have, but, I would be willing to sacrifice some of that based on a significant improvement in overall sound quality with an A-DSM.

Thanks,
Bigz

(2013-06-23 10:55)linnrd Wrote:  IMHO, the upgrade to the A-DSM is not worth it in some respects. If I were in your position, I would consider holding off until the piggy bank were full and then moving straight to a K-DSM. The M-DSi and the A-DSM are both compromises, albeit with the M-DSi at a rather bearable financial outlay, which makes it worth a poke. The A-DSM, imho, is a 'tweener and I can't see myself settling for it, hence the comment earlier. YMMV, as always.
2013-06-24, 07:34
MDSI great machine I had it with my 242s and A2200s . ADS blew the Majik away . A KDS or KDSM I'd love one but just to expensive for me . The Akurate range is IMO is very good . But KLIMAX is better as many have stated . Collins

Main : KDS/1 , KK/1 , Silvers , 3 x A2200D , A4200D tweeter / super tweeter, Activ cards , K400 , 242s .
2013-06-24, 08:58
(2013-06-23 20:44)baronfizzy Wrote:  So you really took the source first notion seriously by staying with the Majik power amps and only upgrading the streamer? I've been offered free Activ cards if I buy a 6100, which would tri-amp my Ninkas nicely. I objected because I thought that would limit me to only ever having a Majik as source, since I thought an Akurate source would need an Akurate power amp to really make it work. What are your thoughts on this? Sticking with Majik amps might be a more sensible way for me to go. (Sorry to hijak the original poster, but this seems to be a common upgrade, so threads like these are good for everyone.)

Don't go majik active. Go for a passive setup with a really good amp. This, I say from experience with Espeks.

Also, I have found that Akurate level performance can be easily matched at much lower prices if you are willing to consider non-Linn gear and leave looks and size out of the equation.

With Linn, Klimax is where its at. The rest is just okay. IMO, YMMV etc. and of course Klimax gear can cost as much as a decent house.

2013-06-24, 11:57
(2013-06-23 08:10)Bigz Wrote:  Again, if anyone would like to comment on the improvement from moving from a Majik DS-I to an Akurate DSM with a Akurate 2200 dynamiked that would be greatly appreciated.

I've gone from a MDS/D and Exotik/D, which I'm sure is better than the MDSi, to an ADSM and it is was a no brainer.
The problem is once you do this you might not be satisfied with your remaining MDSi Tongue
The difference is significant, you will notice it within a few seconds.
It sounds so much more natural and the timing is impeccable. This is all reflected in a considerably clearer and deeper bass.
I swapped at a cost not too disimilar to yours and I would still swap if it cost more. I was even willing to but found a nice ex-dem ADSM Wink

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers