Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-20, 14:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Akurate System

Akurate System
2013-08-28, 04:40
Akurate System
I have a basic Akurate system (DS, 2200, Kontrol and 212s). I am having installed a creston based control and distributed amplification throughout our house. Can I use the Akurate DS as the source for both the Akurate system and the house system?

I'm also considering purchasing a majik dsm and J109s for the tv room, with the hope the majik dsm could be a second source for the whole house.

I find Linn products are second to none having three movie classics, the akurate system, a majik ds as a source for our country house, and potentially the majik dsm. It just all sounds so good. The world would be different if everyone ownedLinn.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-08-28, 05:05 (This post was last modified: 2013-08-28 05:06 by katylied.)
RE: Akurate System
Yes, you can but I will not suggest you to do so (that is the old way to do multi room solution). If you will have local amplifiers, better go for local sources too and in this way each room will be completely independant. Same apply for the Majik DSM, you really don't need to do so. Just my opinion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-08-28, 09:08
If you have a DS or DSM in each room then you can play them independently or share the same music between them using SongCast. More flexible than a system where you have a few sources that you then distribute with simple amplifiers.
2013-08-28, 09:22
I'd agree with both of the above that rather than spending money on central amplification and matrixing, these days go for a DS per room. The ability to mix and match the performance level you want in each room (i.e. you might have a Sneaky in a bathroom, but an Akurate/Klimax in your main rooms etc.) is really appealing.

You can use DSMs in rooms with TV displays and they will handle all your HDMI switching etc.

None of this precludes the use of Crestron as the front end either.

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound
2013-08-28, 15:59
(2013-08-28 09:22)marcusjb Wrote:  I'd agree with both of the above that rather than spending money on central amplification and matrixing, these days go for a DS per room. The ability to mix and match the performance level you want in each room (i.e. you might have a Sneaky in a bathroom, but an Akurate/Klimax in your main rooms etc.) is really appealing.

You can use DSMs in rooms with TV displays and they will handle all your HDMI switching etc.

None of this precludes the use of Crestron as the front end either.

The caveat is we have 11 sets of speakers to 11 drive. We don't need a separate DS source for each set of speakers. Two DS sources for the house, inside and out, is all we really need.
2013-08-28, 17:50
No reason why you couldn't just go for a Sneaky in each room though. If you buy 9 of them (plus your Akurate DS in the main room and MDSM in the TV room) I reckon you could probably get them for about £600 each. Would separate power amps be much cheaper?
2013-08-29, 01:12
(2013-08-28 15:59)Harmax Wrote:  The caveat is we have 11 sets of speakers to 11 drive. We don't need a separate DS source for each set of speakers. Two DS sources for the house, inside and out, is all we really need.
Again, I will strongly recommend to you to don't go that way. You can simply add one or more sources for the additional rooms that do not have to be Linn. I've a customer that is using 8 Apple AirportExpress as sources, each one near the local amplifier. Using your existing DS to drive the multi-room amps is not going to give you better sound considering what you need to put in between to make it work.
2013-08-29, 03:31
(2013-08-28 17:50)rowlandhills Wrote:  No reason why you couldn't just go for a Sneaky in each room though. If you buy 9 of them (plus your Akurate DS in the main room and MDSM in the TV room) I reckon you could probably get them for about £600 each. Would separate power amps be much cheaper?

Sneaky DSMs are pretty expensive if we need 9 of them. So the recommendation would be to do away with the Creston controls and Creston multiroom high powered amps (outside as well) (which aren't cheap) and just use the existing akurate system in the study, the majik dsm and 109 in the family room and the 9 lower powered sneaky DSMs in the living room, foyer, dining room, wife's office, kitchen, master bedroom, master bath, patio outside of the house and pool area. Most of the speakers other than 212s and 109s and outside rocks would be in ceiling or in wall speakers. It would desirable to have the equipment in the basement. Therefore significant speaker wire would have to be extended everywhere for that to work. With all of the DSs, could we still play the same music throughout the house? What's the benefits of doing this? Better sound? Being able to play different music in different rooms, which we don't do so often. Would it be better to rely on the better source, i.e., the akurate ds, everywhere.
2013-08-29, 05:40
(2013-08-29 03:31)Harmax Wrote:  Would it be better to rely on the better source, i.e., the akurate ds, everywhere.

No, not in my experience at least. Having both source and amplifier locally will reduce the lenght of the cables considerably, this is another big advantage over having the amplifier in a remote place. You can use small power amplifiers that can be hidden in closet or anywhere is convenient along with the local source. Do not under estimate the possibility to play different music in different rooms.
2013-08-29, 06:00 (This post was last modified: 2013-08-29 06:10 by marcusjb.)
Depending on where you are on your wiring first fix, depends on your options, but finding local amplifier positions where you can house a few Sneakys and running the speaker cable back to that position is the way to do it.

Having a big multi channel amplifier in the middle is the old way of doing things. Crestron even recognise that these days with the Sonnex range of SWAMP extenders enabling the use of shorter cable runs to a local position.

A Sneaky driving a pair of 104s is an excellent package for a room.

OK, you might want a bit more beef for driving the outdoor speakers, but that can be tackled in several ways.

It is not all good news and there are some challenges with large scale DS deployment over massive multi channel amplifiers in the basement. I install both solutions (just this week I am doing the final commission on a Crestron SWAMP/DM system where that is far more appropriate than DS; but next week I am back adding some more zones of DS into a property where it is a mix of Sneaky, Majik and Akurate DS/DSM all with a Crestron front end).

If you wished to discuss the pros and cons of multiple DS vs multi channel amps, PM me. Both can be the right solution, but that depends on your needs and expectations.

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound