Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-21, 06:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Best way to Decouple the Akubariks From the Floor?

Best way to Decouple the Akubariks From the Floor?
2013-10-03, 05:10
Best way to Decouple the Akubariks From the Floor?
Currently, I have my Akubariks on the Linn spikes, pushed through to the concrete floor underneath the carpet. This has resulted in a very stable position for the Akubariks, with virtually no movement or rocking of the speakers.

The sound quality is extremely good, however, the bass is understandably traveling through the floor to my neighbour below, and even to the apartment below that, depending on the volume. At a volume of 90 or greater I can actually get the whole building to sway along to the music. Rolleyes

I have tried the Akubariks on Skeets, but this does not sound as good as the current set-up.

I am considering putting the Akubariks on slabs of thick marble, or possible maple wood blocks. Another possibility is to put them on top of a pair of Aurelex Subdudes HD, which is similar to what I had under the Majik Isobariks previous, but bigger than the regular Sub-Dudes, and have a lower profile.

Any suggestions on what would provide me with excellent sound quality without the bass going through the floor below?

Thank you

Akubarik Exakt, AEDSM, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), Linn Silvers, K400, Cat7, OPPO 105 on Still Points
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-10-03, 06:54
RE: Best way to Decouple the Akubariks From the Floor?
Hi Paul.

Have you considered this

Paul.

Tongue
2013-10-03, 06:55
How about Stillpoints Ultra SS or Harmonix RF-999MT MK2? Btw, I had not tried these products as I am still waiting for my Stillpoints to be shipped in. Big Grin

But at volume 90? I guess you will need lots of sound insulation material to trap all those sound in. Tongue
2013-10-03, 07:07
(2013-10-03 06:54)PaulW Wrote:  Hi Paul.

Have you considered this

Paul.

Tongue
I bought a lottery ticket today, with a top prize of 21 million. That should buy me a nice home, with a great listening room. Now what were those winning numbers? Tongue
(2013-10-03 06:55)jumpersg Wrote:  How about Stillpoints Ultra SS or Harmonix RF-999MT MK2? Btw, I had not tried these products as I am still waiting for my Stillpoints to be shipped in. Big Grin

But at volume 90? I guess you will need lots of sound insulation material to trap all those sound in. Tongue

I have some Still Points under my OPPO 105. Still Points actually would be a serious consideration, but at $500 for a set of 4 for one speaker, times 2 speakers. Yikes

I may end up building a sound proof cocoon Tongue

Akubarik Exakt, AEDSM, 225 Centre, 212 Surrounds, Classe SSP-800, 2 X Akurate 4200(D), Linn Silvers, K400, Cat7, OPPO 105 on Still Points
Power: Shunyata Triton, Shunyata Zitron Cobra Power Cords., EP Digiplugs
Room Acoustics: SubDude HT's, Curtains, Carpets, Acoustic Panels
2013-10-03, 07:22 (This post was last modified: 2013-10-03 07:25 by PaulW.)
I know from speaking to you in Glasgow that you enjoy listening to your system at higher SPLs than most Smile

Briain is still going to counselling, and continually hugging his speakers while promising that he will 'Never never never never never hand the CP to a visitor again' Big Grin

Seriously though, do you really find the sound so unsatisfying at more modest volume levels? Maybe you just need to give yourself time to adjust? Or perhaps go down the headphone route for when your neighbours are in.

With my own system I generally find that turning the wick up much past 70 starts to get uncomfortable, and most of my 'enthusiastic' listening is done at about 60-65. Classical can sometimes need a bit more, and I never listen to metal or heavy rock.

I hope you find a workable solution, as I know you enjoy good relationships with your neighbours and will be keen to maintain harmony.

Good luck.

Paul.
2013-10-03, 09:06
Are you on the top floor? How about mounting the speakers upside-down on the ceiling? The only snag is you'd have to stick the furniture to the ceiling too but the rush of blood might actually be good for your head (sure I read this in as tabloid newspaper once so it must be true).

Rega RP6/Exact, Devialet 200, Raidho C-1.1 speakers, fancy cables and strange wooden grounding boxes.
2013-10-03, 09:37
RE: Best way to Decouple the Akbariks From the Floor?
How about these http://www.townshendaudio.com/seismic-is...-corners/. Just get an excellent review on HiFi Critic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2013-10-03, 10:49 (This post was last modified: 2013-10-03 10:51 by grimreaper46.)
Paul, why not buy these for your neighbours. Then they can connect up and listen to all your music not just the bass.

The Answer

Big GrinBig GrinTongue

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2013-10-03, 11:05 (This post was last modified: 2013-10-03 11:07 by Odin.)
Supply your neighbour with dual subwoofers (preferably ceiling mounted in exact same location as your Akubariks above) to be played in opposite phase whenever you have a party. Connect to your system using Linn Silver balanced interconnect cables, preferably fed through a hole in the floor/ceiliing.
2013-10-03, 11:58 (This post was last modified: 2013-10-03 12:12 by Briain.)
Hi

I wonder how well stone slabs atop the carpet would work? My thinking is that if they were quite heavy and quite a large area, they'd not move too much (so not lessen the stability and thus the sound) but the carpet would partially isolate them from the concrete deck. I've often thought of trying this on my suspended floor as it would spread the load out over more joists than the two that currently take the 350 load (one joist is under the front two spikes and another is below the back two). Okay, the slabs will move, but they will move with the speakers and thus effectively lower the speakers centre of gravity (so they'll lower the natural movement rate) and increase the overall mass (so maybe also move less far - for a given dynamic - than some other 'zero mass' decoupling solutions would permit); same idea as using much heavier stands.

Ultimately, maybe something like a square meter of suitably finished marble (maybe 25 mm or so thick) could look okay (if a finish that suits the room can be found) and the Akbariks could be sat on Skeets with a thin piece of rubber (maybe a section cut from a bycicle inner tube) below the Skeets to stop the Akubariks sliding (out of position) if someone were to bump into them. Of course, nicely polished marble isn't a cheap substance (so an expensive experiment if it just didn't work) so maybe first try it with large paving slabs (which cost next to nothing) to see if it sounds okay (and see if it helps sort the transmission issue).

My gut feeling is that anything other than Akubarik spikes atop the concrete will be a an improvement (to the problem), so the questions would be how much of an improvement it makes, the impact to the sound (both of which could be better understood after the pavement slab experiment) and aesthetics (which might be better imagined after trying the paving slabs).

In my case, I suspect that it might sound better than what I have now (spikes atop screws into the floor) as it might result in less movement, but only an experient would prove that. In your case, it could work well, and it even opens up other experiments like fitting industrial mounts between the slab and the deck (though that would involve cutting holes in the carpet). My gut feeling is that with the correct sized slabs, it could work with them just sitting atop the carpet, but I guess how well it will work also depends on how thick the carpet is. If the slabs are big and heavy enough, you might even be able to add a second layer of material (square metre of carpet) below them and try that; loads do scope for experimentation at low cost (and that's the sort of experimentation that I like best).

Bri