Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-26, 08:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Music v / Old radio show... (I can't remember)

Old radio show... (I can't remember)
2013-10-28, 15:42
Old radio show... (I can't remember)
Yesterday I recalled a radio program that was broadcast back in the 1980s. I think it was on Capital Radio, but I'm not sure.

In it the presenter went on a journey linking one song to the next, often in very interesting ways. It was possible to link two apparently un-related records via say the recording studio, the producer, the musicians and so on.

What prompted this reminiscing was my acquisition of Nick Drake's album "Bryter Layter", while reading the sleeve notes I noticed that one Dave Mattacks played drums on it. I recalled the radio presenter always fell back on DM as a link if it was otherwise impossible, simply because he's played with practically everyone.

The program was clever insofar as the final track always linked back to first, and the show was called music chains or some such thing, but certainly "Chain" was in the title.

Does anyone remember it? Who presented it, and what it was called?

Thanks

J
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2013-10-28, 15:49 (This post was last modified: 2013-10-28 15:49 by grimreaper46.)
RE: Old radio show... (I can't remember)
It was Mark Radcliffe. It was part of his BBC Radio show. It was called "The Chain" it started with the Fleetwood Mac track and everyone had to suggest the next track with some connection to the previous on.

The world will end on 1st May 2014....
2013-10-28, 16:29
(2013-10-28 15:49)grimreaper46 Wrote:  It was Mark Radcliffe. It was part of his BBC Radio show. It was called "The Chain" it started with the Fleetwood Mac track and everyone had to suggest the next track with some connection to the previous on.

Thanks, it was driving me nuts. It seems I didn't even remember the format correctly.

Thanks again.
2013-10-28, 17:09
(2013-10-28 16:29)JDEC Wrote:  
(2013-10-28 15:49)grimreaper46 Wrote:  It was Mark Radcliffe. It was part of his BBC Radio show. It was called "The Chain" it started with the Fleetwood Mac track and everyone had to suggest the next track with some connection to the previous on.

Thanks, it was driving me nuts. It seems I didn't even remember the format correctly.

Thanks again.

I think Nicky Horne used to do something like you describe on Saturday night on Capital in the 80s. I think it replaced Six of the Best.

The Chain is, of course, still a fine feature on the afternoon show on RadMac

Majik DS, Copland CTA 501, Castle Howard S2
Sneaky DS, Rogers DB101
A pair of ears
2013-10-28, 17:41
(2013-10-28 17:09)benhugh Wrote:  
(2013-10-28 16:29)JDEC Wrote:  

Thanks again.

I think Nicky Horne used to do something like you describe on Saturday night on Capital in the 80s. I think it replaced Six of the Best.

The Chain is, of course, still a fine feature on the afternoon show on RadMac

Ah, thank you. That seems much more likely. I used to listen to Nicky Horne a lot, along with the late great Roger Scott.

I began to wonder if we shouldn't start a "Chain" thread.