Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-24, 14:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / Sondek LP12 v / New Kid on the Block - My First Linn

New Kid on the Block - My First Linn
2014-02-11, 21:43
Smile New Kid on the Block - My First Linn
Hello everyone.
I'm new to both Linn and this amazing forum of passionate, knowledgable folks. Really buzzed to get back into vinyl after a 20 year break. I've aways wanted to own a Linn but knew nothing about the vast array if option available. So I spend many weeks reviewing the extensive catalogue of invaluable information on this forum. Also chatted with a variety of Linn experts including Peter at Cymbiosis, Johnny7, and Mick at Audio Origami, they were all so helpful. Also scoured Linn dealers and eventually EBay to ground myself on what was out there and typical prices, soon realised that prices varied dramatically!
I eventually took the plunge and bid on a couple of items last weekend on EBay since I wasn't sure I'd win either, I won both! 1st one is a Sondek/Ittok (39xxxx) plus a Troika cartidge which turned out to be in excellent condition. It works very smoothly, the deck bearing are very quiet, and having balanced the arm I checked the bearings, following various advice from Linn folks, and they seem silky smooth and move very freely. The 2nd is an immaculate Sondek(59xxxx) but no arm, this one is a very pale walnut and looks absolutely mint.
I carefully set-up the complete system and it sounds amazing. My albums come to life and so did I. I'd forgotten how nice it was to put an album on and sit down and listen to it in its without track jumping. Both decks have the black bearing with white inners and black springs.
The big question which I need your help with is how do I decide which one to keep. The complete set-up or the immaculate deck and transfer the arm? Appreciate any advice you can provide on my amazing quest.
StevieCool
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-02-11, 21:59
RE: New Kid on the Block - My First Linn
Nicely done! And welcome to the forum.

I'd have to say, if you possibly can, find the nearest LP12 master fettler and have him (I hope I'm not being sexist in saying 'him' ....) look over both decks, to help you pick the better one. And, although it sounds like you've done a great job getting the first one set up, unless you have long experience of setting up LP12s, you'd be amazed by how much better somebody like Peter or Phil at Phonography can make one sound, if it's not already perfectly set up. Examining the cartridge under a 'scope, and possibly giving it a good clean, may also pay big dividends.

If you're looking to make any upgrades to the deck (and assuming that what you've bought is in good condition), the very first thing to consider would be a Cirkus bearing (I think that what you're describing suggests that neither deck has it?). You'll doubtless get lots more advice on the desirability of various upgrades soon! The one other thing I'd recommend that you seriously consider, if you don't already have one, is a record cleaning machine.

Good luck!

System/370 model 168
2014-02-11, 23:30
(2014-02-11 21:43)Stevie911 Wrote:  I'm new to both Linn and this amazing forum ……...

…chatted with a variety of Linn experts including Peter at Cymbiosis, Johnny7, and Mick at Audio Origami, they were all so helpful. Also scoured Linn dealers and eventually EBay

Hmmmm - really? Where are you based Stevie?

Sondek owner since 1982
2014-02-12, 00:17
(2014-02-11 23:30)Chris Dolan Wrote:  
(2014-02-11 21:43)Stevie911 Wrote:  I'm new to both Linn and this amazing forum ……...

…chatted with a variety of Linn experts including Peter at Cymbiosis, Johnny7, and Mick at Audio Origami, they were all so helpful. Also scoured Linn dealers and eventually EBay

Hmmmm - really? Where are you based Stevie?

I'm based near Tring in Herts. Steve
2014-02-12, 08:39
worth a trip around the M25 to Colin at What you see and hear in Beaconsfield, probably the closest to you and he'll be able to give you some good advice and he's extremely experienced in all things LP12.
2014-02-12, 10:47
Absolutely nothing is worth a trip around the road to hell.

Find another route to WYSAH.

LP12, Sole VII sub-chassis, Norton Airpower PS, AO PU7, Modified ebony bodied DL103R, Plattamat 2. Avondale Audio phono stage, Avondale Audio Grad1 pre amp, Avondale TPX1 power supplies. Avondale Audio M130 monoblock power amps. Acoustic Energy AE1 reference loudspeakers.

We also have a website!
2014-02-12, 11:08
Removed
2014-02-12, 17:03
Thanks everyone for the sound advice, I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop on progress.
2014-02-12, 17:33
(2014-02-12 08:39)Harry the Hornet Wrote:  worth a trip around the M25 to Colin at What you see and hear in Beaconsfield, probably the closest to you and he'll be able to give you some good advice and he's extremely experienced in all things LP12.

Thanks Harry. Do WYSaH offer a setup and upgrade service?
2014-02-12, 18:18
yes absolutely, take your deck(s) along and Colin will talk you through the options. (do remove the platter first though or pack under it, although I'm sure you know that already), it sounds like a Cirkus might be an option but you don't want to damage things unnecessarily.

I've had both a service and upgrades done there.... together and independently over the years.