Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-23, 02:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / My Dear Klouts: Please Forgive Me...

My Dear Klouts: Please Forgive Me...
2014-02-11, 21:44
My Dear Klouts: Please Forgive Me...
Just before Christmas I did something pretty stupid: I was reading one of the threads on remote switching of Klouts and I made the comment 'just how hard can it be?' Bearing in mind I had no electronics experience and hadn't programmed for over 20 years.

So I thought about it and slowly a crazy plan emerged. It is only now, about six weeks on that I have a product to test. Live. On my poor Klouts.

Wish me luck! Wish my Klouts luck - they'll need it!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-02-11, 22:11
RE: My Dear Klouts: Please Forgive Me...
(2014-02-11 21:44)dhoggan Wrote:  Just before Christmas I did something pretty stupid: I was reading one of the threads on remote switching of Klouts and I made the comment 'just how hard can it be?' Bearing in mind I had no electronics experience and hadn't programmed for over 20 years.

So I thought about it and slowly a crazy plan emerged. It is only now, about six weeks on that I have a product to test. Live. On my poor Klouts.

Wish me luck! Wish my Klouts luck - they'll need it!

Good luck with that. I hope that it works because if it doesn't you may end up with an expensive repair bill to restore the remote switching circuits. All the best.
2014-02-11, 22:29
Well, that is true, but I'm pumping 12v at 180mA into the remote input, which should activate a Klout every 10 seconds. I'm also using a pair of diodes in series to prevent any reversal.
2014-02-11, 22:38 (This post was last modified: 2014-02-11 22:43 by Briain.)
Hi

Somewhere here (or have I already sent you that via email or PM?) I detailed the specs for the signal diodes used inside the Klout (can't think why they chose these devices instead of more robust rectifier diodes) but I'm sure it was well over 180 mA (250 mA seems to ring a bell, but I can check later as I do have that part of the Klout diagram available) so that should be safe enough. All I can find is a post with sketch here where someone had asked about using the 12 V line in a Lexicon preamp. Also notice a silly spelling error, so I just fixed it. Rolleyes

Bri
2014-02-11, 22:50
Hi Briain,

It was your resistor + two diodes I pinched for the 12V feed :-)

Dave
2014-02-12, 00:02
The project looks really great! I've just found my waxed lacing twine (it's about 30 years old; I'd bet it's seriously hard to source, these days) and will soon tidy up a small unit that I'm currently building. I do love lacing the wiring loom with knotted waxed twine as it just looks so much cooler than lots of ratchet cable ties (AKA tie wraps). Of course, it took me a long time (in the backs of many old BT transmission equipment and radio racks, back in the early 80's) to learn how to do it neatly!! Smile
2014-02-12, 00:13
Hi Dave, Good Luck!

Please keep us up to date.

Pete
2014-02-12, 01:04
At the moment it is all very experimental. I have faith in the electronics; it is the programming that I'm refining now.

In essence, I sample the analogue input every 250ms and, over 10 samples, take the average. The Arduino micro-controller board (the blue one) accepts an analogue input and converts it to a value in the range 0-1023. As anologue signals have an +/- range centered on zero I've used a pull-up resistor to make no input (0V) a value of 512. My program samples every 250ms, bins everything under 513 and averages the result of the 10 samples (but only those above 512). This way, the spurious noise that can occur on the circuit won't be read as a valid signal.

Here's an example of the diagnostic program I'm running:

The first value is the max reading in the block of 10 (i.e. over a 2.5s period) The !!! simply is my indicator that the max value was over 540 (which is simply a test threshold). The secs counter is there to let me know how long since the program started. and the last column is the average of the number of samples over 512.

Right now, accounting for random noise, I'm thinking of setting the average positive signal detection value at 540. The image above shows that random noise can (the max value at least) can hit the 530s. A real signal (top part of the image) shows values way above this.
2014-02-12, 21:52
Here's the unit assembled and connected up.

Ultimately the box will be under the table, but obviously I'm keen on watching it for the next few weeks.

Well, I thought a live demo might be nice and I've just uploaded a 30 second video to Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/86543959

It's not the best video as it is shot in low light and I couldn't work out how to rotate the video, but I think it gets the point across. It is likely self explanatory; red LED is no audio detected for 20 minutes or more (relay to amp off), green LED is audio detected (relay to amp on) and amber is no audio detected but within the 20 minute timer so relay to amp is on. I picked 20 minutes as that allows a nice period to select other music, answer a phone call etc.

As this is the bedroom system its normally on radio, so there's often a blip onto amber which then falls back to green - it all depends on whether the samples fall in line with natural breaks in conversation.

Oh, that noise in the video is the amp - it was like that when I bought them. Sounds like a capacitor although I'm assuming nothing too serious as I bought them form a forum member who I'm sure would have mentioned it had it been an issue.
2014-02-13, 00:00
Nice work!

: )