Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-11-24, 10:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Music / Recorded Music v / My 20 best SOUNDING album's, (all formats)

My 20 best SOUNDING album's, (all formats)
2014-03-22, 20:39
RE: My 20 best SOUNDING album's, (all formats)
Quote:All of these albums are SACD or DVD-Audio in Surround, except Nils Lofgren

so is that an LP or CD?

[Image: 0820761101422.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-03-23, 02:28 (This post was last modified: 2014-03-23 02:39 by Paulssurround.)
(2014-03-22 20:39)24bit Wrote:  
Quote:All of these albums are SACD or DVD-Audio in Surround, except Nils Lofgren

so is that an LP or CD?

[Image: 0820761101422.jpg]

CD

I have a FLAC copy, and the sound quality is stunning. One of the best demo albums I can think of for sound quality.

Try the song "Keith Can Go"

I should add to my list:
David Sanborn, Time Again. DVD-Audio 5.1

Pat Metheny, Imaginary Day. DVD-Audio 5.1

R.E.M., Automatic For the People. DVD-Audio 5.1

Usher Audio Technology Demo Disc, The Diamond Revolution Audiophile Collection Vol. 7

Exakt Surround 5.0:
Katalyst Akubariks, AEDSM, Akurate Exaktbox 6/4200 for 225 Centre, Majik Exaktbox I for 212 Surrounds, OPPO 105 on StillPoints.
Power: Environmental Potentials 2460, Shunyata Triton, Zitron Cobras, Alpha Digitals
Room Acoustics: SPACE, SubDude HT's, Acoustic Panels
2014-03-28, 15:13 (This post was last modified: 2015-01-08 01:13 by 24bit.)
(2014-02-24 23:13)Migo Wrote:  [Image: Andre200v7.png]

Thank you so much for taking the time to make that list. Great suggestions.
I went to the Sound Liaison site and started with downloading the free downloads from the After Silence and the Thousand Shades of Blue album and after listening have now bought both albums.
Very impressive sound and musicianship.

Just one little comment, I have the excellent Doug Macleod album as well (HD Tracks hi-res download) and indeed his voice does shift a little from left to right and back while singing, but so does the sound of Andre Heuvelmans trumpet.
I believe it has to do with the ''old fashioned'' or classical recording technique that both these companies use, which is to use a main stereo microphone in front of the band and then using a spot microphone when an instrument needs a little help.
It is a little bit unusual but I do like the liveliness it creates, maybe more so with the trumpet than with the voice.
The Carmen Gomes album does not suffer from that, probably she moves less than MacLeod when she sings.
The sound of the Reference Recordings and the Sound Liaison albums does indeed have a lot in common.
I know that the Macleod album was recorded in George Lucas, (Starwars,) big studio and apparently the Sound Liaison guys has access to a hall of equally beautiful sound. Great to see this kind of recordings coming back,
and this kind of musicians too. Real Sound, Real Music.
Yes it seems to me that it is the same kind of technique/philosophy that those 2 companies are employing.Interesting to see on the studio session photo, that there seems to be several baffles placed in various ways behind the musicians, I guess to manipulate the resonance and decay of the room sound.
This is from the ''liner notes'' from the After Silence album:After Silence Link
Quote:After Silence was recorded with the musicians playing together in the same room, without headphones.The reason being that in our opinion that creates a number of musical and technical benefits....... The musicians interact much more as they would do in a concert situation...and as they are not ''separated'' by headphones the musicians are forced to create a musical balance...the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary...we can use a minimalist microphone setup and there by reduce phase problems...since everybody is in the same room, the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent...the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording. That sounds like an easy solution but bear in mind that in order for this to work:e studio has to have a good sound.....the musicians have to be very good and well prepared as it is very difficult to repair mistakes because of the ''cross talk'' between the instruments....we have to be very precise when choosing and placingthe microphones...and the puzzle of placing the musicians at the right distance to the main stereo microphone pair and at the right distance to each other is very time consuming.
[Image: Andre_misterieus_shadow.png]

and this is from the Reference Recordings site:There's a time link
Quote:Doug says: "Making this album was different than any other one I've done in the past," recalls MacLeod about the sessions. "They put Jimi, Denny and me on this huge soundstage at Skywalker Sound in Marin County and we sat around in a circle where we could see each other. We played live, no overdubs, just three guys playing some music together."
2014-04-02, 16:30
Hey... Sound Liaison are having 25% discount on full albums this whole month.
And curiously enough they have the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album available as a Flac file for 12 euro's full album, next to the Wav file for 15 euro, full album.
I thought that their philosophy was no conversion of any kind ...?
Are they starting to give in to commercial pressure ?
[Image: SSS1%20Milan%20200%20FLAC%20v2.png]
[Image: SSS1%20Milan%20200.png]
(Wav)
2014-04-12, 00:10 (This post was last modified: 2015-01-08 01:16 by 24bit.)
(2014-04-02 16:30)Kef Wrote:  Hey... Sound Liaison are having 25% discount on full albums this whole month.
And curiously enough they have the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album available as a Flac file for 12 euro's full album, next to the Wav file for 15 euro, full album.
[Image: TSOB200v4-130-10-10-75.png]
:(What's wrong with Flac?
2014-04-12, 01:15
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wav sounds better!
2014-04-13, 20:55
[/quote]

Wav sounds better!
[/quote]
and what if you convert flac back to wav, is that the same sound as the original wav?
2014-04-22, 19:57
(2014-04-12 00:10)24bit Wrote:  
(2014-04-02 16:30)Kef Wrote:  Hey... Sound Liaison are having 25% discount on full albums this whole month.
[Image: SSS1%20Milan%20200%20FLAC%20v2.png]
[Image: SSS1%20Milan%20200.png]
(Wav)

The new Batik album from that label is magnificent.
Maybe the best Sound Liaison download so far.
And with the inclusion of ECM recording artist Wolfert Brederode the label has gotten a significant composer on board as well.
Quote:The 9 pieces of music were performed live in the studio in front of a select audience.The musicians were placed in front of a stereo pair of microphones with additional spot microphones on each instrument. The musicians were playing without headphones, the reason being that we believe that when we get the musicians to play together in the same room, without headphones, it creates a number of musical and technical benefits:

As they are not ''separated'' by the headphones, the musicians, in order to hear each other are forced to create a natural and musical balance, a balance which is then easily captured by the main stereo pair of microphones. Because of the natural and musical balance the need for compression to control levels is no longer necessary. Since everybody is in the same room, the boxed sound which is so common in many modern recordings is absent and the sound of the room helps ''glue'' the sound of the recording.
[Image: Batik%20Hoes%20300%20shadow%20v2.png]

Batik; the Old Man and the Sea
2014-04-22, 22:03
(2014-04-13 20:55)24bit Wrote:  
(2014-04-12 01:15)ContinentaltypeR Wrote:  

Wav sounds better!
[/quote]
and what if you convert flac back to wav, is that the same sound as the original wav?
[/quote]

In my experience, yes.YMMV.
2014-04-23, 17:37 (This post was last modified: 2014-04-23 17:38 by Kef.)
[Image: 2hughmg1.jpg]

Hugh Masekela Hope

This is one great sounding album!
Just got the CD, 16/44, but it has depth, placement and seems to me very good dynamic range as well.
Highly recommended!