Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-23, 10:50 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Info / Off-topic v / Insurance for expensive hi-fi

Insurance for expensive hi-fi
2014-05-07, 23:40
Insurance for expensive hi-fi
I am sure that anyone with Klimax/Akurate level or any other high end hi-fi will have them properly insured.

Having had a look at my home contents insurance it only covers individual items up to the total of £2k so not nearly enough. Will need to add these as individual items up to their true value.

Anyone had excessive quotes from their insurance provider for adding individual high cost items like Akubariks or Klimax kit? Wondering if my upgrade plans will be more expensive than I thought?

P.S. Check the small print of your insurance cover!

Linn ADSM, Linn 5125 and Dynaudio Contour mkII 1.8
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-08, 07:23
RE: Insurance for expensive hi-fi
I'm with Santander and anything over a certain value has to be detailed individually.

No massive hike in premium though.

Steven M - and that's all folks !!!
2014-05-08, 08:39
I have declared my Linn with the value but one tip I can give you, if you have it. Some years back I was "discussing" my home insurance with the insurer over locks as I was having anti bump locks fitted. I mentioned that if the locks failed my alarm system would kick in. I was told that if the alarm system was serviced with a contract I would get discount. It is and I did get some money off after sending a copy of my maintenance contract.
2014-05-08, 08:43
Hiscox and Zurich have previously been discussed as having good cover for expensive kit.
2014-05-08, 10:17 (This post was last modified: 2014-05-08 10:20 by Briain.)
(2014-05-08 08:39)Scooter Wrote:  I have declared my Linn with the value but one tip I can give you, if you have it. Some years back I was "discussing" my home insurance with the insurer over locks as I was having anti bump locks fitted. I mentioned that if the locks failed my alarm system would kick in. I was told that if the alarm system was serviced with a contract I would get discount. It is and I did get some money off after sending a copy of my maintenance contract.

The alarm situation always highly amuses me as it saves you about £10 per year on your policy, but it must be serviced yearly by an officla alarm company, and if you forget to get it serviced, your insurance could be null and void. For some fun, I tell them (verbally) that out of interest, I do actually have an alarm system, but as it costs between £70 and £90 per year to get it officially 'serviced' (to save £10 on the policy), I simply service it myself and tell them to not to mention its existence on my policy. That way, I save between £60 and £80 per year, and if I forget to service it, I'll not be at risk of getting no payment if I am burgled a day after the due service date; effectively, that additional £10 per year is actually a very good deal as it better insures me and saves me money on service charges.

I've not yet had anyone in the insurance call centres even attempt to challenge my logic!

Bri Smile

NB Yet another issue could be that if you went out and forgot to set it, would you still get the full (or any) insurance paid if you were burgled? Again, if you don't have one listed on your policy, it's difficult for them to argue that you didn't set it! Big Grin
2014-05-08, 10:45
I'm with Aviva Distinct. Not cheap but HiFi as electronic goods do not need to be specifically itemized even up to Exakt Level. That said, I've never had cause to claim (long may it stay that way!!!)

Ian
2014-05-08, 11:47
(2014-05-08 08:43)rowlandhills Wrote:  Hiscox and Zurich have previously been discussed as having good cover for expensive kit.

I want to change policy anyway and will be looking at both of these next month when my current policy expires (nothing to do with hi-fi, but bicycles are becoming really hard to insure these days).

As far as I know, Hiscox are happy with any single item up to £15K value without having to have it named on the policy?

Technical Director, What You See And Hear Ltd., Beaconsfield
Superior home cinema and sound
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
2014-05-08, 11:58
I was also with Aviva distinct and it's not cheap, however I moved to John Lewis for about half the price and the same terms. I'm happy.

Avalon

Klimax DS/1 , Klimax Kontrol/2, klimax chakra twin(Dk), akurate 242 (new bases) speakers,nordost Tyr & Chord Sarum Tuned Aray balanced, Chord Sarum Tuned Aray mains for Ds,russ andrews purifier block . Tranquil ava rs3 server, ipad 2 & kinsky & songbook lite. Sonos for multiroom.
2014-05-08, 12:31
John Lewis Home Insurance. Unlimited cover for buildings and contents. HiFi is not a 'valuable' and is fully covered with no upper limit. Reasonable premium too.

Confirmed with John Lewis is writing

Other forums are available:- http://hifikabin.me.uk
2014-05-08, 14:07
(2014-05-08 11:47)marcusjb Wrote:  As far as I know, Hiscox are happy with any single item up to £15K value without having to have it named on the policy?

Jewellery are the items over £15k they're interested in. Other expensive items they're not.
It's because jewellery items are also covered when taken out of the house and used for daily wear, hence they need to be specific.

Be warned that household jewellery cover for some other insurers only cover for when they're kept in the house. Kind of pointless I think Rolleyes

ADSM, 4200/D, 109s, k400, silvers