Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-10-26, 02:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / Devialet SAM + Akurate 242

Devialet SAM + Akurate 242
2014-05-08, 00:10
Devialet SAM + Akurate 242
Hi - this is not a troll. Very happy with my Akurate 242s and Devialet 200. Devialet have just released updated firmware that provides (what they call) SAM - Speaker Active Matching.

This presents itself as a custom file that matches a speaker's sub-150Hz performance to the amplifier output, providing (allegedly) superior bass control. Devialet are currently building the portfolio of speakers that will be supported - currently B&W and Magico models are included.

I'd like to get them to add the Akurate 242 to the list, hence the reason for this post. Can any Devialet and 242 owners please contact me so that we can talk to Devialet as a single voice, thanks

ATB, Ken

Devialet 200 > Nordost Purple Flare > Akurate 242
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-08, 08:19
RE: Devialet SAM + Akurate 242
(2014-05-08 00:10)ZincAlloy Wrote:  Hi - this is not a troll. Very happy with my Akurate 242s and Devialet 200. Devialet have just released updated firmware that provides (what they call) SAM - Speaker Active Matching.

This presents itself as a custom file that matches a speaker's sub-150Hz performance to the amplifier output, providing (allegedly) superior bass control. Devialet are currently building the portfolio of speakers that will be supported - currently B&W and Magico models are included.

I'd like to get them to add the Akurate 242 to the list, hence the reason for this post. Can any Devialet and 242 owners please contact me so that we can talk to Devialet as a single voice, thanks

ATB, Ken

There's a review of this with B&W speakers in the latest Hi-fi news and Record Review. They were very impressed. Let us know if anything comes of it.

KDS 1/KK1D/Lejonklou Tundra Monos/242s with latest bases
Oppo 105 as processor / LK140 / Katan rears
Cambridge Audio NP30 / AV5103 / Twin D / 109s
2014-05-10, 13:13
I am intrigued by this, if they combined this with a configurable parametric eq for room correction it would be brilliant!

Music: Classe CP-800 (Rev 2)-> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds

AV: Oppo BDP-103, PS3 and Sky+HD -> Onkyo TX-NR818-> Classe CP-800 (Rev 2)-> Classe CA-2300-> B&W 802 Diamonds, B&W SCM1s & SVS PC12+ Sub
2014-05-10, 14:26
(2014-05-10 13:13)tomscrut Wrote:  I am intrigued by this, if they combined this with a configurable parametric eq for room correction it would be brilliant!

Agreed. Unfortunately, at the moment it's only speaker optimisation - no account taken of speaker / room interaction, although this is rumoured to be on the roadmap.

Looks like I'm the only 242 owner with a Devialet, so hopes for SAM for my speakers not looking good! If this changes, I'll let you know. If not, looks like I'll be using my credit card again soon!

ATB, Ken

2014-05-10, 14:32
Yeah I read in HFN about it and it specifically says no RC. If they put the full range of 800 series on there I would strongly consider flogging the Classe and MDS and going to Devialet. My current thoughts are pointed towards a Classe CP800, it has a parametric eq and a DAC comparable to the top end of the DS spectrum according to those who own them on this forum. Having heard one I can't say I am surprised by this but I haven't been able to compare! I just have some bass humps I want rid of that moving stuff around and getting some GIK panels doesn't seem to have prevented, although I only have 244s so that's probably why as the issue is below their useful range.

AV: Oppo BDP-103, PS3 and Sky+HD -> Onkyo TX-NR818-> Classe CP-800 (Rev 2)-> Classe CA-2300-> B&W 802 Diamonds, B&W SCM1s & SVS PC12+ Sub
2014-05-10, 14:41
(2014-05-10 14:32)tomscrut Wrote:  Yeah I read in HFN about it and it specifically says no RC. If they put the full range of 800 series on there I would strongly consider flogging the Classe and MDS and going to Devialet. My current thoughts are pointed towards a Classe CP800, it has a parametric eq and a DAC comparable to the top end of the DS spectrum according to those who own them on this forum. Having heard one I can't say I am surprised by this but I haven't been able to compare! I just have some bass humps I want rid of that moving stuff around and getting some GIK panels doesn't seem to have prevented, although I only have 244s so that's probably why as the issue is below their useful range.

The official launch of SAM is at next weeks Munich show, so have a look and see the initial list of speakers. Existing owners will also be able to vote as to what other speakers they'd like to see added to the list - hence my original (fruitless!) post.

Also demoed the CP800 and really liked it, excellent pre-amp/DAC. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was that the version I demoed didn't have the streaming board upgrade (this was about a year ago), which has now changed. My change also coincided with a desire to get to as few boxes as possible, and the CP800 would have required a power amp. However, a CP800 with a pair of active speakers (second-hand Akubariks as current owners upgrade to Exakt?) would be a lovely, minimalist system!

2014-05-10, 14:59
(2014-05-10 14:41)ZincAlloy Wrote:  
(2014-05-10 14:32)tomscrut Wrote:  Yeah I read in HFN about it and it specifically says no RC. If they put the full range of 800 series on there I would strongly consider flogging the Classe and MDS and going to Devialet. My current thoughts are pointed towards a Classe CP800, it has a parametric eq and a DAC comparable to the top end of the DS spectrum according to those who own them on this forum. Having heard one I can't say I am surprised by this but I haven't been able to compare! I just have some bass humps I want rid of that moving stuff around and getting some GIK panels doesn't seem to have prevented, although I only have 244s so that's probably why as the issue is below their useful range.

The official launch of SAM is at next weeks Munich show, so have a look and see the initial list of speakers. Existing owners will also be able to vote as to what other speakers they'd like to see added to the list - hence my original (fruitless!) post.

Also demoed the CP800 and really liked it, excellent pre-amp/DAC. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was that the version I demoed didn't have the streaming board upgrade (this was about a year ago), which has now changed. My change also coincided with a desire to get to as few boxes as possible, and the CP800 would have required a power amp. However, a CP800 with a pair of active speakers (second-hand Akubariks as current owners upgrade to Exakt?) would be a lovely, minimalist system!

I have only heard the latest model and by all accounts it does also sound slightly better than before but they haven't changed the dac itself just the digital input board I think

2014-05-11, 02:57
USB input now accepts up to 24/192 (as does the network port). As far as box count goes, I would have difficulty going to something like a Devialet mainly because I would prefer tying my power amps to the speaker choices I make. Active speakers, assuming one likes how they are voiced, would be the way to reduce box count at that end.
2014-05-11, 10:49
(2014-05-11 02:57)linnrd Wrote:  USB input now accepts up to 24/192 (as does the network port). As far as box count goes, I would have difficulty going to something like a Devialet mainly because I would prefer tying my power amps to the speaker choices I make. Active speakers, assuming one likes how they are voiced, would be the way to reduce box count at that end.

I hear what you're saying. Akurate 242 are the remnants of my legacy Linn tri-amp system, bought well before I bought the Devialet. Pretty sure I wouldn't have ended up with them had I bought the Devialet first, and had the funds to get new speakers also. Having said that, they've never sounded bette - if slightly clinical at times.

2014-05-11, 11:04
Like all 242s then?