Linn Forums

Current time: 2014-07-24, 03:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn / General Hi-fi v / KAN SPEAKER VERSION / INFO REQUEST

KAN SPEAKER VERSION / INFO REQUEST
2014-05-08, 02:12 (This post was last modified: 2014-05-08 02:13 by MusicWriter561.)
KAN SPEAKER VERSION / INFO REQUEST
Hi All.
Believe it or not I was walking my dog the other morning and I came across these speakers in someone's trash. I thought they were cheap Radio Shack speakers and then I saw the name. I think they are MK Is but I'm not sure. Also can't find much on the serial numbers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Phil

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-05-08, 02:58
RE: KAN SPEAKER VERSION / INFO REQUEST
(2014-05-08 02:12)MusicWriter561 Wrote:  Hi All.
Believe it or not I was walking my dog the other morning and I came across these speakers in someone's trash. I thought they were cheap Radio Shack speakers and then I saw the name. I think they are MK Is but I'm not sure. Also can't find much on the serial numbers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Phil

Hi Phil.

Yes, they look like MK Is:
http://www.degobah.info/Linn-kit.htm#kan
http://www.brinnoven.co.uk/linnsite/index.html#Kan
2014-05-08, 03:25
(2014-05-08 02:58)Linnsomniak Wrote:  
Phil

Hi Phil.

Yes, they look like MK Is:
http://www.degobah.info/Linn-kit.htm#kan
http://www.brinnoven.co.uk/linnsite/index.html#Kan

Thanks. If I am reading correctly that would make these early MK Is. Is there any significance of that (e.g. early vs. later)?
2014-05-08, 06:27 (This post was last modified: 2014-05-09 09:59 by Coyote Jim.)
Phil

Hi Phil
They are indeed IMO MK 1 Kans possibly 1979-1982 if there is any clue about what the cabinet is made of if it is veneered chipboard then they are in that age group if made of anything else they will be newer.
But with the serial number shown I think they are original first generation.
As to Which is the best type it is a very personal thing.
I have had the same as you and then a long time later I bought the latest of the MK11 version.
They each do different things so it is a personal listening choice.
I hope the cabinets are not swollen or distorted and inspecting the drive units is very difficult as they are not really meant to come apart so don't force the grilles off.
Surgery on these does require a bit of experience.
As for playing them as you don't know how they have been stored when you connect them up be very gentle with them just check all the units 2x tweeters and 2x mid / bass are working and if ok play them gently for a few hours to get the voice coils moving smoothly.
After all if you found a vintage car you wouldn't just start it up from who knows when and rev it's nuts off.
Best sited on very rigid stands as close to rear wall as poss there are still some knocking around on the web auction occasionally or perhaps from an established dealer a dedicated pair of stands for these and I always used them.
Fantastic find if they are ok just be gentle then enjoy they are a classic.
KR JimCool
2014-05-08, 14:46
They are definetly MK1 Kans.
They have the original Scanspeak D2008 tweeters fitted unless they have been updated to the Hiquophon ones. Linn changed the banana sockets when they changed the tweeters to their own metal ones instead of the RS binding posts fitted to the mk1's.

As other posters have said have a listen and if they work then leave alone, if they are faulty then they should be repairable (removing the grills is the hardest part) but cost may be prohibitive.

Regards

As other
2014-05-09, 00:57
I tested them today and they sound great. Thanks for your responses.
2014-05-09, 08:33
(2014-05-09 00:57)MusicWriter561 Wrote:  I tested them today and they sound great. Thanks for your responses.
Very lucky chappie enjoy and remember to put your lottery ticket on !Big Grin
Try and get the stands if you have space.
Well done KR Jim Cool
2014-05-09, 08:40
The thing with Kan's is the better the system the better the performance.

Such a little box and a really good system can produce a phenominal sound. I remember listening to a pair of Kans at a linn demo and people asking where were they hiding the Isobariks as they could not belive the bass response from such a small box!!Big Grin
2014-05-09, 09:49
You lucky boy!

They are the coveted MKIs and a favourite speaker of mine.

Nice catch.

Mark
2014-05-11, 21:25
Thanks. I can't believe someone would throw these out. Trying to decide whether to keep these as I don't have a great system these days.