Linn Forums

Current time: 2017-10-21, 02:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Linn Forums / Linn Music Systems & Hi-fi Separates / Network Music Players & Music Streamers / Exakt v / What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?

What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
2014-09-23, 21:36
RE: What speakers would you like to see Exaktbox support for?
(2014-09-23 20:03)fetish230 Wrote:  The Klimax 320A. I get it, it didn't sell very well (I guess) but it is a marvelous speaker and the people who do own a pair (myself included) have probably invested heavily in them and the rest of their systems, so...

Thank You, Please, etc etc... Wink

+1

Simply could not agree more.
My KDS1 is on it`s way to Linn for the Exact upgrade, my KK1 (latest spec) is put on the market, the 350`s in out of budget and to be truthfully honest not welcomed by the boss (wife), the Akubariks is not really and option so Linn please?

//
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2014-09-23, 21:39
(2014-09-23 21:25)tomscrut Wrote:  Buy one Klimax box!

I still think the issue will be the lack of third party speakers that aren't passive. Would be interested to know of Linn do add configuration for a passive speaker minus crossovers if you get me. If it was a simple process I would maybe be interested for my 802s

That's something I've wondering about as well. Just use one output per speaker and drive a surround system.

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242s
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2014-09-23, 21:50
Congratulations Linn!

it is becoming clearer how all the pieces will fit together. Unique technology with a smart approach to open to non-Linn speakers appears to me as a winning strategy and a huge selling proposition.
Hat's off and keep up the good work!

(And if you now find a solution to the clicking issue and to store room optimization settings, please Big Grin )

Baba Yaga
2014-09-23, 22:25
(2014-09-23 21:39)macrotech Wrote:  

I still think the issue will be the lack of third party speakers that aren't passive. Would be interested to know of Linn do add configuration for a passive speaker minus crossovers if you get me. If it was a simple process I would maybe be interested for my 802s

That's something I've wondering about as well. Just use one output per speaker and drive a surround system.

Well, or that. I meant for a pair of two way speakers for the post above my original.

I had hoped that they would allow for passive speakers to be used and do as you say but I suspect that the requirement will be active which is a shame. If in my case it is as simple as flipping the speaker over opening the bottom up and unplugging the xovers and running another pair of cables or two out of the bottom (as my speakers only have two pairs of binding posts, but are 3 way 4 drivers) then I would consider it when I could afford the extra amp channels and then the boxes from Linn. But will Linn be getting speakers, ripping the crossovers out to test passive speakers like this? Ideally B&W would come up with some sort of official modification but I seriously doubt that, despite it being a possibility that they are on board with Linn with regards the Nautilus, it was already active and the only active hifi speaker they make (the custom theatre range can be active IIRC) so not a lot of work for them to do.

But if passive was supported and they could use the DSP to help with xover issues etc then it would be far cheaper and easier for me to do!

Sources: Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Dirac Live
Amps: Nord One UP NC500MBs (with Sonic Imagery 994 op amps)
Speakers: B&W 802D2s & 2x SVS SB13 Ultras
2014-09-24, 02:26

Are your 5 speakers all full range drivers?Sad

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2014-09-24, 02:31

Good luck with getting the amplification for controlling the bass drivers on those...and then adding the required four channels of amplification that is gained matched to those. Big Grin

Having said that...since the Xovers are first order, and the drivers aren't going to be individually measured (unless B&W has the measurements on file based on serial no. that they are willing to part with) it's debatable as to whether the money is better sunk elsewhere.

Half of what I post on here is not worth reading; but I post it in order that the other half gets posted.
Boring stuff->Linn Blacks->More boring stuff->K400->Even more boring stuff, all layered with Magick Faerie Dust.
2014-09-24, 02:59
(2014-09-24 02:31)linnrd Wrote:  

Good luck with getting the amplification for controlling the bass drivers on those...and then adding the required four channels of amplification that is gained matched to those. Big Grin

Having said that...since the Xovers are first order, and the drivers aren't going to be individually measured (unless B&W has the measurements on file based on serial no. that they are willing to part with) it's debatable as to whether the money is better sunk elsewhere.

I thought being active they would need less powerful amps rather than more powerful? And don't forget the Diamonds are a fair bit easier on amps than the N and D series.

And I guess they would do an average like Linn do on their legacy speakers. Linn must either have measured the Nautilus (multiple pairs?!) or got the info off B&W. I think the Nautilus may be one of the most impractical speakers likely to be Exakted to get to the Linn factory.

Sources: Antelope Zodiac Platinum with Dirac Live
Amps: Nord One UP NC500MBs (with Sonic Imagery 994 op amps)
Speakers: B&W 802D2s & 2x SVS SB13 Ultras
2014-09-24, 06:14

+1

including something along the lines of Devialet SAM?

System 1: KDS/3 - Solos/D - Vivid V1.5
System 2: KDS/3 - Solos/D - Sonus Faber Amati Futura.
Cables: Vertere and Shunyata
Stuff: Richard Gray [RGPC]
2014-09-24, 08:13
(2014-09-23 22:25)tomscrut Wrote:  

Well, or that. I meant for a pair of two way speakers for the post above my original.

I had hoped that they would allow for passive speakers to be used and do as you say but I suspect that the requirement will be active which is a shame. If in my case it is as simple as flipping the speaker over opening the bottom up and unplugging the xovers and running another pair of cables or two out of the bottom (as my speakers only have two pairs of binding posts, but are 3 way 4 drivers) then I would consider it when I could afford the extra amp channels and then the boxes from Linn. But will Linn be getting speakers, ripping the crossovers out to test passive speakers like this? Ideally B&W would come up with some sort of official modification but I seriously doubt that, despite it being a possibility that they are on board with Linn with regards the Nautilus, it was already active and the only active hifi speaker they make (the custom theatre range can be active IIRC) so not a lot of work for them to do.

But if passive was supported and they could use the DSP to help with xover issues etc then it would be far cheaper and easier for me to do!

Yep, the idea would be to support passive speakers (like Devialet as already mentioned). It also allows an upgrading path for Linn speakers - you start Exakt passive, then move to Exakt Aktiv when funds allow to purchase extra power amps.
With ten channels and suitable software you could also mix and match a surround system, some active and some passive speakers. Many possibilities!

Main: KDS3 / Lejonklou Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Lejonklou Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / 242s
LG OLED 55E6V /Oppo 205 as processor / Lejonklou Tundra Stereo / Katan rears / Velodyne DD12 sub
2nd system: Oppo105 / Lejonklou Boazu / 109s
2014-09-24, 08:37
I am of course hoping for proper Exakt upgrade modules like for the 350's - as it is technically probably the only way forward. This just seemed like the best place for such a request...

(2014-09-23 21:36)audiman Wrote:  
(2014-09-23 20:03)fetish230 Wrote:  The Klimax 320A. I get it, it didn't sell very well (I guess) but it is a marvelous speaker and the people who do own a pair (myself included) have probably invested heavily in them and the rest of their systems, so...

Thank You, Please, etc etc... Wink

+1

Simply could not agree more.
My KDS1 is on it`s way to Linn for the Exact upgrade, my KK1 (latest spec) is put on the market, the 350`s in out of budget and to be truthfully honest not welcomed by the boss (wife), the Akubariks is not really and option so Linn please?

//